This time last year

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
We didn't have You Should Have Been Nice To Me, Fantastic Bird, Honey You Know Where To Find Me, Happy Lovers United, Lifeguard On Duty...it's been a good year for unreleased gems. This time next year, what's the betting on Kit and Home Is A Question Mark? And the four unreleased Refusal songs?

Peter

the four YOR tracks, were they actually recorded?

Thanks Peter..Its facinating reading some of the gossip that has come about since this site's inception..Rumors of Morrissey and New Order to tour together back in the early 2000's..Now that's funny..

...and I still don't have them ;) (don't know where, how and when). I've been away for a few years. I have so much to learn ;)

What are these four unreleased YOR songs?

Oh lordy, I could be hoist by my own petard here, but...
  • I Was Bully, Not Forget Me
  • I'm Looking Forward To Going Back
  • Teresa, Teresa
  • When I Was Young

There's also rumours of an oddball one called Lady Of Seattle - don't know how concrete that one is.

Peter

• Teresa, Teresa
  • When I Was Young

There's also rumours of an oddball one called Lady Of Seattle - don't know how concrete that one is.

Peter

What about "Action Man"?

Ooh, interesting! Thanks :).

I think it's the case that they wouldn't be in BMI/Warner Chappell had they not. I could be wrong.

Peter

I know, from research I had to do for a Uni thing a while back, that companies trademark a lot of things these days for potential future use. Particularly media companies, copyrighting potential names for TV shows, films etc. Record companies are probably in a similar position. The 4 songs you keep mentioning could be just a set of lyrics. It seems odd that no-one has any real information on the "songs" given the internet age we live in. Either way, if they exist we'll hear them eventually. In the meantime, life continues.

Oh really..The first time I remember hearing about it was last year when the article was written about 12 new song titles. Thought about the song title recently when at the San Diego show, he referred to the only crowd member to get on stage as "action man".

Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think that was a Refusal song - I think it's one of the very few (the only?) unreleased Ringleader songs.

Peter

What about "Action Man"?

Boz has said that "Action Man" was from 'Ringleader' sessions and that it was never finished, unfortunately.

• Teresa, Teresa
  • When I Was Young

Peter

But will we see these now that Morrissey is out of Universal? Don't they have the rights to these songs?

I know, from research I had to do for a Uni thing a while back, that companies trademark a lot of things these days for potential future use. Particularly media companies, copyrighting potential names for TV shows, films etc. Record companies are probably in a similar position. The 4 songs you keep mentioning could be just a set of lyrics. It seems odd that no-one has any real information on the "songs" given the internet age we live in. Either way, if they exist we'll hear them eventually. In the meantime, life continues.

This is true - but also true is that artists or artists' management register song titles with their publishers/databases once recorded, usually long before tracklists are determined. One does this to add to the catalogue so that in the event that the work(s) is used in any capacity the author & publisher get their share. Probably there's someone in the forums with mo' music publishing experience to correct me/explain this better, but I gather that's how it goes.

I never heard of this four unreleased YoR tracks, but I assume they will be great! I would love to see how his new unreleased songs are.

I'm not [personally] that interested in un-released material, ie. left overs from studio sessions, etc. There must be Loads of unused Morrissey studio material out there somewhere but......Let it be there. I am sure it will surface one day.
No offence.

Back
Top Bottom