This world is just chock-a-block with nonsense

A

Anonymous

Was chatting the other day with someone about song lyrics. She said to me that Pavement's lyrics are just nonsense. I know! I should've just fought her, right? Anyway, I got to thinking that, based on my maffs, at least 99% of all lyrics ARE nonsense. Pavement are in the 1%! :)

So anyway, the track Yesterday by The Beatles/McCartney has been covered a bunch of times. That song contains nonsense. Specifically, the line 'I believe in yesterday'. ALL of the other songs by The Beatles are fine though. No other nonsense detected in their catalogue! :)

Looking to my left I've just seen this on a can of Budweiser: "and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price." < Nonsense. But if I were in a band, I'd use it in a song! :)

So, talk nonsense please! Song lyrics, things around you, anything!

There is power in nonsense. It can break the patterns of what might be called linear or logical thinking and create connections that are more intuitive.
It can also be used, sometimes more aggressively, in the form of absurdity. This can be a political or social tool. For example the Trump baby balloon is absurd but when it appears at a gathering it uses humor and the power of nonsense in a political way.
Dadaist art is another way nonsense or nonlinear thinking can be used to confront the viewer and their expectation of "sense."
"Stop making sense"

There is power in nonsense. It can break the patterns of what might be called linear or logical thinking and create connections that are more intuitive.
It can also be used, sometimes more aggressively, in the form of absurdity. This can be a political or social tool. For example the Trump baby balloon is absurd but when it appears at a gathering it uses humor and the power of nonsense in a political way.
Dadaist art is another way nonsense or nonlinear thinking can be used to confront the viewer and their expectation of "sense."
"Stop making sense"

I have an affinity for the absurd nonsensical. Especially when it makes sense!

A sharp mind can make something out of nonsense. By this I mean the listener and sometimes what they come up with is interesting. It’s a nice catalyst at times. Anyway I don’t think they’re nonsense lyrics. Some more obvious some more impressionistic but I doubt they’re random. Same with Aesop rock

Ghostface Killah
Hit mics like Ted Koppel, rifle expert
Let off the Eiffel, burn a flag in your grass, spiteful
Ringleader set it off, rap Derek Jeter
Culprit, prince of the game wish you could see us
We lay low glitter wax full bangles
Priceless ropes, lay around the God get tangled
Woolly hair, eyes fiery red, feet made of brass
Twelve men following me, it be the God staff
Move, every script's like Miramax
Smash the big boy, totalled it, Wilshire and Fairfax
Son beaming wifey on the beach, sipping Zima
Wu 'binos to latinos, we love Selena
Overnight, God schedules, Fed-Ex

Pretty silhouette velvet nice DNA scroll genetics
Too hot to handle, one thought from scrambling the mandolin
Hundred game Wilt Chamberlain, smack 'em, say when
He rolling up, face wrinkled up, hands is on his nuts
Yo kid stop fronting on the ground 'fore you get touched
It's Canada Dry sess with Allah, son
We want rye, we want it so bad we might cry

anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung -- voltaire

Was chatting the other day with someone about song lyrics. She said to me that Pavement's lyrics are just nonsense. I know! I should've just fought her, right? Anyway, I got to thinking that, based on my maffs, at least 99% of all lyrics ARE nonsense. Pavement are in the 1%! :)

So anyway, the track Yesterday by The Beatles/McCartney has been covered a bunch of times. That song contains nonsense. Specifically, the line 'I believe in yesterday'. ALL of the other songs by The Beatles are fine though. No other nonsense

Apparently you don't listen to much post Sgt. Pepper's

Hey Bullshit.

My top 16 Beatles songs for realz:

I've Just Seen A Face
Helter Skelter
Tomorrow Never Knows
Norwegian Wood
I'll Cry Instead
And Your Bird Can Sing
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Piggies
You Won't See Me
Rain
I'm Only Sleeping
Hey Bulldog
For No One
I'm So Tired
Penny Lane
I'm Looking Through You

I was thinking exactly the same thing other day. Doggerel is such a part of pop music lyrics that we accept it unquestioningly. I think a lot of what people call great writing is in the ear of the beholder. There are some really dodgy rhymes, I think, in Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen but I’m in a very small minority. There are also lyrics in what we think of as lightweight songs that if Nick Cave wrote them people would be saying are deeply moving and inspired.

Most serious artists are held in, unjustified, high esteem by music journalists who want to perpetuate the myth to sustain their careers and reputations and a fan base who want to feel intellectually superior. That’s why I love some of Morrissey’s silly lyrics. He’s sort of sending it up. His great lyrics are really up there with the best though.

My top 16 Beatles songs for realz:

I've Just Seen A Face
Helter Skelter
Tomorrow Never Knows
Norwegian Wood
I'll Cry Instead
And Your Bird Can Sing
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Piggies
You Won't See Me
Rain
I'm Only Sleeping