This world is just chock-a-block with nonsense

I had this same conversation earlier this morning...about the realities of curbing expectations of aging artists. But you have to realize, this is mostly Morrissey’s fault for setting the bar so high that he and his work can only be judged by his own former greatness. You don’t listen to Morrissey or The Smiths for superficial pop. That wasn’t the need he/they filled or what attracted audiences to him/them...allotting him a pass on judgement because he used to be something special isn’t benefiting you or him. Should he be allowed to continue being a spoiled brat that is halfheartedly told “good job” after every mediocre record and performance or should he have to confront his failures and either work harder or retire?

I used to debate with a friend at the bar, also a huge fan, that Morrissey should have retired after Quarry. Now, this was because as comeback records go it was a pretty solid album (I do not, however, think it's aged real well, but I still enjoy it) but my friend felt that if Morrissey continued after that point, it wouldn't end well. That it would be a slow, exponentially embarrassing decline and that the occasional gems that he MIGHT eek out along the way would become harder and harder pressed to make up for it. And also that his legacy would falter more and more in the meantime, as more watery crap was piled upon it.

I no longer know if Morrissey's demystification in my own eyes is due to me getting older and realizing how juvenile it is to deify artists or if it's because he's largely run out of steam artistically, he looks like crap, his music is made by guys who look like they work at Autozone, or whatever. I really don't know.

I do not believe, however, that he should have to "work harder" at making good art. I believe that if he has to struggle, the jig is up and that if that's the case then yes, it's time to pack it in. I believe it should be natural magic or nothing. He's either got it in him spurting up from a wellspring or he's Dry. There's nothing to labor at or mine.

He did, indeed, set his own bar pretty damn high. But I remember once when their album Up came out Michael Stipe said "yeah it's getting a lot of shit in the press but if a brand new band put this album out as their debut it would be a revelation. But because it's R.E.M., it's judged poorly against our back catalog."

Now, that sounds like kind of a bullshitty cop-out defense of a less than great album by a once flawless band but I get what he's saying and he kind of had a point. Should we judge art on its own merit or only against the contextual background of preceding work by the artist that made it?

See; I don't know.

I used to debate with a friend at the bar, also a huge fan, that Morrissey should have retired after Quarry. Now, this was because as comeback records go it was a pretty solid album (I do not, however, think it's aged real well, but I still enjoy it) but my friend felt that if Morrissey continued after that point, it wouldn't end well. That it would be a slow, exponentially embarrassing decline and that the occasional gems that he MIGHT eek out along the way would become harder and harder pressed to make up for it. And also that his legacy would falter more and more in the meantime, as more watery crap was piled upon it.

I no longer know if Morrissey's demystification in my own eyes is due to me getting older and realizing how juvenile it is to deify artists or if it's because he's largely run out of steam artistically, he looks like crap, his music is made by guys who look like they work at Autozone, or whatever. I really don't know.

I do not believe, however, that he should have to "work harder" at making good art. I believe that if he has to struggle, the jig is up and that if that's the case then yes, it's time to pack it in. I believe it should be natural magic or nothing. He's either got it in him spurting up from a wellspring or he's Dry. There's nothing to labor at or mine.

He did, indeed, set his own bar pretty damn high. But I remember once when their album Up came out Michael Stipe said "yeah it's getting a lot of shit in the press but if a brand new band put this album out as their debut it would be a revelation. But because it's R.E.M., it's judged poorly against our back catalog."

Now, that sounds like kind of a bullshitty cop-out defense of a less than great album by a once flawless band but I get what he's saying and he kind of had a point. Should we judge art on its own merit or only against the contextual background of preceding work by the artist that made it?

See; I don't know.

:rolleyes:
Ghostface Killah
Hit mics like Ted Koppel, rifle expert
Let off the Eiffel, burn a flag in your grass, spiteful
Ringleader set it off, rap Derek Jeter
Culprit, prince of the game wish you could see us
We lay low glitter wax full bangles
Priceless ropes, lay around the God get tangled
Woolly hair, eyes fiery red, feet made of brass
Twelve men following me, it be the God staff
Move, every script's like Miramax
Smash the big boy, totalled it, Wilshire and Fairfax
Son beaming wifey on the beach, sipping Zima
Wu 'binos to latinos, we love Selena
Overnight, God schedules, Fed-Ex

Pretty silhouette velvet nice DNA scroll genetics
Too hot to handle, one thought from scrambling the mandolin
Hundred game Wilt Chamberlain, smack 'em, say when
He rolling up, face wrinkled up, hands is on his nuts
Yo kid stop fronting on the ground 'fore you get touched
It's Canada Dry sess with Allah, son
We want rye, we want it so bad we might cry

:rolleyes:
♿
Oy Vey Fake Chameleon is this the non linear yoko ono non linear social political tool? It landed on the forum with a thud pretty much had no effect on anyone senses FFS FAIL and FAIL the non linear dadaist Pscho Babble post.?

maybe it wowed Barnaby the Blender but the old coot at this point cant tell hip from hop

I don't have any problem with Asians as people. But no, I'm not sexually attracted to Asian women at all; that's true...for some reason that confounds a lot of guys I know. I went to go see the Warhol From A To B exhibit at the Art Institute a few weeks ago and I went with that guy I was telling you about that gets laid all the time from Tinder and he kept lusting after all the little Asian co-eds that were milling about and we got into a pretty heated tete a tete in the cafeteria because I didn't get it.

Am I supposed to be attracted to fat girls, too? I mean for me it's just a personal preference preference thing.

Anyway there's a definite value in the superficial...no question. Superficial music, superficial TV, superficial conversation. I absolute get that; in fact I gravitate to it anymore. Maybe age makes it appealing. I don't know.

But don't you think there's a kind of disparity regarding your take on things inasmuch as you slag Morrissey's recent output off for bring inconsequential, dull, lacking in gravity/artistic and lyrical import but then you extoll the virtues of admittedly superficial modern pop?

Crackedpots ive been perusing your psycho babbles and there is one thing i find odd. No, its not the non linear or dadaist or any of that yoko ono nonsense. its the fact that 1- you have a hot young-but a bit old in the tooth girlfriend of 27.5 years and 2-you have your buddy there Dr Love who has 40-50 chicks a week yet none of you are with the hot older girlfriend or the multifarious sex app bitches. its going to the bar or going to art or going to warhol you and your Dr Love buddy!!!:(
No chics or hot slightly over the hill young girl friend and no sex app chicks are to be seen!!? something just dont seem right. you go to the warhol art with that gigolo Dr Love dude???
Doesnt seem right the whole narrative seems to be off.?

Crackedpots ive been perusing your psycho babbles and there is one thing i find odd. No, its not the non linear or dadaist or any of that yoko ono nonsense. its the fact that 1- you have a hot young-but a bit old in the tooth girlfriend of 27.5 years and 2-you have your buddy there Dr Love who has 40-50 chicks a week yet none of you are with the hot older girlfriend or the multifarious sex app bitches. its going to the bar or going to art or going to warhol you and your Dr Love buddy!!!:(
No chics or hot slightly over the hill young girl friend and no sex app chicks are to be seen!!? something just dont seem right. you go to the warhol art with that gigolo Dr Love dude???
Honestly dude, I don't understand a word you just said.

So basically what you're espousing is that unless I'm literally with my woman every second and my friend is literally f***ing Tinder girls 24/7, then I'm lying?

Crackedpots, the narrative seems non linear, dadaist if you will. You have the hot young girlfriend that you been with many years, 28 years to be exact. :unsure:
Yet from my perusing you are 24/7 flirting with VH or doing the town with your buddy to the bar or the art or to the warhol. I take it your gigolo buddy is more Rob Schneider than Richard Gere.
All the while the hot young, tho long in the tooth girlfriend sits at home.?‍♀️

I am adding 2+2 and coming up with 98 Crackedpots, it just dont add up.?‍?

Crackedpots, the narrative seems non linear, dadaist if you will. You have the hot young girlfriend that you been with many years, 28 years to be exact. :unsure:
Yet from my perusing you are 24/7 flirting with VH or doing the town with your buddy to the bar or the art or to the warhol. I take it your gigolo buddy is more Rob Schneider than Richard Gere.
All the while the hot young, tho long in the tooth girlfriend sits at home.?‍♀️

I am adding 2+2 and coming up with 98 Crackedpots, it just dont add up.?‍?
19 years. Not 28. 19.

She's 39; I'm nearly 44. We've been with each other for 2 decades. We have a son, who's now grown, working, doing his thing. The two of us work full time, and go out maybe once or twice a week depending on our schedules. We have our favorite shows that we watch, and we'll talk as couples do about lifethings when we have meals together or during downtime. She enjoys her time decompressing alone, as do I. Some nights we talk and drink, some nights we drink and fight, some nights we talk and don't drink, some nights we do our own things. There is plenty of time and opportunity for all of it.

My friend is neither Rob Schneider nor Richard Gere. He's 35 (maybe 36 now) and is 6'1. Maybe 6 2. He's a professional photographer and he lives by himself in an apt. in Logan Square, which is a neighborhood in the northwest side of Chicago. He is very intelligent but also very easily provoked into violence. In that time he has been in two serious relationships. Shortly after the first one ended, which was maybe 6 years ago, he was hit on his motorcycle by a girl texting and driving. He was injured but made a full recovery, and got a very large settlement with which he purchased the gear he would use to fund a photography career, and also traveled to the middle east to take freelance pictures during the height of the civil and political unrest. He has done this stateside, as well. The bulk of the work he does is event photography, with some photojournalism as well plus commissioned screen prints, logo design, all that shit. Here is a fairly recent picture of him which I am quite fond of:

5775088801.jpg

I've known him since he was 17. We met in 2001, a few months after I met my girlfriend. He and my girlfriend do not get along.

Did I go slowly enough or do you need me to repeat anything?

Attachments

• 5775088801.jpg
    5775088801.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Crackedpots the plot thickens!!!:)
The hot long in the tooth 'girlfriend'is your baby mama!!!:popcorn:

I posted this video under the song thread back in November of last year. I came across it on YouTube and found it to be quite mesmerizing. From the costumes to the dancing and creative lyrics it is completely captivating. I must have watched it over twenty times. The guitarist acting out puffing on a cigarette is pure genius!

I posted this video under the song thread back in November of last year. I came across it on YouTube and found it to be quite mesmerizing. From the costumes to the dancing and creative lyrics it is completely captivating. I must have watched it over twenty times. The guitarist acting out puffing on a cigarette is pure genius!
I missed it then but youtube recommended it for me too. It's actually a decent song.

I missed it then but youtube recommended it for me too. It's actually a decent song.

I just posted another one I have been watching on the song thread. It is quite nonsensical, but still makes me think. Similar to the comedy of Monty Python IMO.

His word bloat is back, these conversations with !HIViva AIDS! seem to bring it out of him, not that it needs much coaxing. Meanwhile Fake Chameleon continues to post whatever videos YouTube recommends to him and whatever pictures he sees while browsing reddit and Perez Hilton's site because he believes there's "power" in his regular no context nonsense/spam posting :crazy:

19 years. Not 28. 19.

She's 39; I'm nearly 44. We've been with each other for 2 decades. We have a son, who's now grown, working, doing his thing. The two of us work full time, and go out maybe once or twice a week depending on our schedules. We have our favorite shows that we watch, and we'll talk as couples do about lifethings when we have meals together or during downtime. She enjoys her time decompressing alone, as do I. Some nights we talk and drink, some nights we drink and fight, some nights we talk and don't drink, some nights we do our own things. There is plenty of time and opportunity for all of it.

My friend is neither Rob Schneider nor Richard Gere. He's 35 (maybe 36 now) and is 6'1. Maybe 6 2. He's a professional photographer and he lives by himself in an apt. in Logan Square, which is a neighborhood in the northwest side of Chicago. He is very intelligent but also very easily provoked into violence. In that time he has been in two serious relationships. Shortly after the first one ended, which was maybe 6 years ago, he was hit on his motorcycle by a girl texting and driving. He was injured but made a full recovery, and got a very large settlement with which he purchased the gear he would use to fund a photography career, and also traveled to the middle east to take freelance pictures during the height of the civil and political unrest. He has done this stateside, as well. The bulk of the work he does is event photography, with some photojournalism as well plus commissioned screen prints, logo design, all that shit. Here is a fairly recent picture of him which I am quite fond of:

View attachment 54799

I've known him since he was 17. We met in 2001, a few months after I met my girlfriend. He and my girlfriend do not get along.

Did I go slowly enough or do you need me to repeat anything?
there is NO WAY he's getting all those chicks. and frankly the idea of THAT guy ogling young Asians makes me want to puke

there is NO WAY he's getting all those chicks. and frankly the idea of THAT guy ogling young Asians makes me want to puke

Yeah; not sure what to tell you. It doesn't really affect me too much...women are desperate and dumb. Not all of them, but the ones who whore themselves out on Tinder. I don't think he's too discerning in his tastes. He'll f*** anything that moves. I don't get it; I don't like it; I don't live that way.

Yeah; not sure what to tell you. It doesn't really affect me too much...women are desperate and dumb. Not all of them, but the ones who whore themselves out on Tinder. I don't think he's too discerning in his tastes. He'll f*** anything that moves. I don't get it; I don't like it; I don't live that way.
oh

Yeah; I knocked her up straight away. It's fascinating stuff. Real original.

She was pregnant in that picture I posted awhile back with the Killing Joke t-shirt, and the sun setting behind her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom