time to drop the smiths songs

Yeah i'd agree with that,
we all love the Smiths stuff but like you say theres so much more stuff that i for one would rather hear.
i'm certain he only does it to amuse himself, not pandering to those who just treck along for old times sake but with the amount of songs that never get a look in the balance could do with redressing, in my humble opinion.:cool:

I really have to disagree with the sentiments of this thread - there is no way he should drop Smiths songs from the set.

The set should be whatever he decides it should be - one of the best things about a moz gig is that you never know for sure what he is gonna play. For me the best bits of the latest gigs were the surprises William and NFD - earlier in the year it was Still Ill. At MEN in 2004 it was A rush and a push....

I need to hear him sing Smiths songs in his set - they are all Morrissey songs no matter who is playing them - he wrote them all. And those who say they arent the same without Jonny playing lead guitar - i dunno about that but all of them have sounded damn fine to me!

But frankly I dont care if he plays 0 Smiths songs or 10 - all of the songs are his and he gets to choose what goes in. If he fancies a Smiths song then it goes in - if not it doesnt. Its up to him - we should just respect whatever he chooses.

I have been to 10 Moz gigs between 1992 and now and all of them have been a mix of what he has just released / is trying to promote / old favourites and surprises. To me its perfect.

I know virtually all of the songs so well that they are all old friends and whatever he plays makes me smile, sing, jump around or cry!

The SMiths songs are always welcome allthough "How Soon Is Now?" has come to take the place of many other songs and it isn't something I like. Of course it's a great live song and Moz may think it represent him very well in some way or another. However, I think that "Panic" will replace it on the next tour.

i dont think its about forgetting about the smiths, its great when he plays smiths stuff as well as solo stuff

but in my opinion, what sucks is people stuck in the smiths who dont like anything moz creates now. you are the quarry, your arsenal, etc..are even better then smiths stuff.

i dont think its about forgetting about the smiths, its great when he plays smiths stuff as well as solo stuff

but in my opinion, what sucks is people stuck in the smiths who dont like anything moz creates now. you are the quarry, your arsenal, etc..are even better then smiths stuff.

Morrissey's solo stuff is pretty good, but it's nowhere near as good as The Smiths stuff.

To quote Mozzer before he launched into Girlfriend In A Coma:

"We scrape this song off the gurney...because we know it makes you feel warm..."

Exactly :)

Morrissey's problem is that he carries over the same songs from tour to tour when he doesn't have to...he has plenty of songs to chose from yet he exhausts the same one's year after year...

Songs that should NOT be played for the next few years:

Irish Blood, English Heart
First of The Gang To Die
How Soon Is Now
Girlfriend In A Coma
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
November Spawned A Monster
Suedehead

Irish Blood, English Heart and The First of the Gang To Die - He has played these every gig since 2002 I am pretty sure...even though Quarry didn't come out until 2004 he was playing them in 2002...so for the past 3 tours he has been playing THOSE...

How Soon Is Now?, Shoplifters Of The World Unite, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, Suedehead, and November Spawned A Monster - Great songs...but overplayed and has worn out their welcome.

Girlfriend In A Coma - Okay song...if he insists on playing it then he should add another song seeing as this song is only a little over 2 minutes long...

Solo songs he SHOULD bring back in the near future:

Angel, Angel Down We Go Together
I Don't Mind If You Forget Me
Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Yes, I'm Blind
Picadilly Palare
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Sing Your Life
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Tomorrow
The Boy Racer
Spring-Heeled Jim
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
My Love Life
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Never-Played Symphonies

Smiths songs he SHOULD add to some future tours:

Asleep
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
Back To The Old House
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Well I Wonder
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Barbarism Begins At Home
I Know It's Over
I Won't Share You
Cemetry Gates
Suffer Little Children
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Unhappy Birthday
Ask

Though none of this will ever happen I can dream...

The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated.

It's good to stick in a few obscure/older tracks for the older fans. But Moz has to keep in the "popular" songs for the new fans and people coming along that might not even know Morrissey that well. At least if he plays the popular songs he is guaranteed a good reaction from everyone.

It would be great to hear those songs that you mentioned there, but I can't see it happening because it would really limit his audience. Yes, it would be nice to see them dropped in here and there, maybe shuffle the setlist around a bit each night, but to totally change the setlist wouldn't be a good idea for reasons stated above.

Are you crazy!
The past is the past, and the past is wonderful!
The Smiths may be dead, but Morrissey is not, and I think him singing the songs of the olden days is wonderful, Mozza wrote most those songs, and thinks that there his more than anyones, so why shouldent he sing them. I love the Smiths songs and I think him singing them at concerts, brings a certin nostalgic air, that makes everyone filled, with happiness and sadness..without those songs, it may not be as a fufilling experience.

dont you think its about time that the smiths songs were dropped from the set list , i mean with such a huge back catalogue and so many amazing songs why not quit the sing alongs and play some classics , speedway , now my heart is full , alsatian cousin ??? - i love the smiths but the past is the past

yeah, but no, but yeah etc. LET MOZ PLAY WHATEVER HE LIKES. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T TURN UP. AND IF YOU DO TURN UP SND DON'T LIKE IT, WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

yeah, but no, but yeah etc. LET MOZ PLAY WHATEVER HE LIKES. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T TURN UP. AND IF YOU DO TURN UP SND DON'T LIKE IT, WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

That was a bit uncalled for, everyone's entitled to their own opinion whether you agree with it or not

Morrissey said on a few occasions that he does not play a lot of his older songs both in The Smiths/Solo because he feels embarrassed by them. He says a lot the songs he wrote twelve years ago and twenty years ago do not represent him in modern times so he does not play them. You have to ask yourself would you sing songs about an incident that happened to you twenty years ago. Would you sing about feelings you felt twenty years ago and so on? It would be nice for him to sing his old material from his solo work, but that simply won’t happen. As for him singing more Smiths material, I hope he doesn’t, whilst it’s nice to hear songs live, it’s not the same having Boz playing guitar instead of instead of Marr, Morrissey might of wrote the songs, but surely he must feel that it isn’t quite the same? He has enough solo material to be using than resorting to use The Smiths music. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy hearing Girlfriend in a Coma, Panic, Please Please and How Soon Is Now, but it’s simply not the same and I hope he doesn’t resort to singing more Smiths songs.

"in my opinion, what sucks is people stuck in the smiths who dont like anything moz creates now. you are the quarry, your arsenal, etc..are even better then smiths stuff."

Very true.
the sad thing is there are so many of them. Mozzer's song writing has continued to 'Blossom and grow' even if sections of his , for want of a better word, fanbase have not.

I've been seeing him since 92 and I always hoped he'd never start playing Smiths songs. They are great songs but I also don't want to go see Modest Mouse and hear "Meat Is Murder." Well, I never want to hear that song anyway. Point is, Morrissey has been putting out solo records and singles for almost 20 years. There are loads of songs that have never been played live or only on one tour. I'd rather see some of those.

I think the fact that Moz does a number of Smiths songs is wonderful and sells a large percentage of his tickets.. the amount of conversations about "I hope he doesn't do songs from Ringleader and does more Smiths songs" at gigs is unbelievable.. His choices of Smiths songs are usually sound and I think Coma and William probably won't see the light of day again.. HSIN is important to a lot of people althought I'd like to see it dropped. There's a lot of Smiths songs he could play in the future and I say good luck to him, we'll all certainly enjoy it I'm sure.

Saying that, there are so many solo classics. The Smiths hits are much more favoured by many of his fans (including all of my friends and family who like moz, despite the fact that I argue that his solo work isn't far behind), and when he went off on 22/12 at G-Mex after Please Please Please (after being nearly in tears thanking everyone for their support) I was convinced he was coming back to do Speedway, and I was myself welling up.. and I wish he had.. More solo classics like Speedway, Playboys etc should be on the cards in the next tour surely... I just hope it's not the last time I see Moz live.

If he does Last of The Famous International Playboys live I think I'll pass out, I am in love with that song, I usually listen to it a fair bit throughout the day. I would probably faint through sheer jubilation if he played that song. :D

Back
Top Bottom