time to drop the smiths songs

Morrissey should be proud of all his work both Smiths and Solo.
Personally i'm happy for him to select anything to sing live.
After all, it's all quality.

dont you think its about time that the smiths songs were dropped from the set list , i mean with such a huge back catalogue and so many amazing songs why not quit the sing alongs and play some classics , speedway , now my heart is full , alsatian cousin ??? - i love the smiths but the past is the past

yes, i'd love to hear a totally "moz" solo set.

This is good for another setlist thread!:D

Well I wonder (oh, forgive me) if he acctually rates his newest material as the old gems or if he's just thinking of promoting the freshest record. Probably it's therefore many enjoyed the Oye Estaban and 2002 tour as much cause there was no new material he was "forced" to promote. And, an old expresion that I dunno if there's one in eglish, you can get "speed blind".

Cheers

I'd be content for a Morrissey set free from Smiths songs, although I'd rather hear "William" etc. from the man himself rather than by some tribute band.

Yes, I've got certain faves I like to hear live, but It's Morrissey's choice what he sings. Personally I just want him to keep singing and performing live for as long as possible, so he can sing what the hell he likes. I'll be there!

I'd be content for a Morrissey set free from Smiths songs, although I'd rather hear "William" etc. from the man himself rather than by some tribute band.

"William, It Was really Nothing" is one of those song I must hear live before I die. I goet the feeling that when it comes to "How Soon Is Now?" he has made it his hown with the more modern rock style and when hearing "Girlfriend In A Coma" I get the feeling that The Lads are having problem mastering it appart from Boz (who says it's one of his favourite live songs). Plus he hasn't got a really good mix.

cheers

when i originally posted this i didn't expect such a response thank you , what i would say is i have never at any point said i do not love the smiths songs , i am sad to say i never heard them live by the smiths , i have been on every morrissey tour since his solo career started and just wondered if it wasn't time to put a tin lid on the past .

i would love to have a set of just morrissey solo songs and hear songs that i love that he hasn't played in an age , would anyone want to hear a full set of smiths songs by a bad who aren't the smiths (maybe)

please dont hate me , have a happy new year x

www.myspace.com/jenandbob

;)

No one hates you, Bob.
After Wolverhampton gig in 1988, Morrissey hadn't sung Smiths songs until 1995.
He might sing less or drop Smiths stuff on his next tour, but we never know...

dropping Smiths songs = denying an important history
denying an important history = a DEADLY sin

Not to mention it would be a selfish, self serving decision on the artist's part to delete such songs from a live repetoire. They may be YOUR songs, but there's an audience that loves those songs, and those songs will survive long after you the composer/performer is long dead and buried.

I Really enjoy some Smiths songs being included in the set, don't forget that the majority of Moz/Smiths fans never had the chance to see Smiths Live...
The argument that Smiths without Johnny Marr aren´t really "The Smiths" is correct, but since it will be virtually imposible to see the Smiths reunited... we'll have to stick for Moz (Smiths versions)....

"William, It Was really Nothing" is one of those song I must hear live before I die. I goet the feeling that when it comes to "How Soon Is Now?" he has made it his hown with the more modern rock style and when hearing "Girlfriend In A Coma" I get the feeling that The Lads are having problem mastering it appart from Boz (who says it's one of his favourite live songs). Plus he hasn't got a really good mix.

cheers
It was tremendous hearing "William" I'm sure you'll hear it live in the new years to come. I want "A rush and a push" back in the next set.

They are all Morrissey's songs so he is allowed to sing whatever ones he wants. The logic for some people seems to be that because Johnny Marr isn't there he shouldn't sing them. If he was limited to singing only songs he has co-written with members of his current live band he wouldn't be able to sing most of his solo songs either!

Back
Top Bottom