Tim's Twitter Listening Party - "The Queen is Dead" with Mike Joyce (Sep. 12, 2020)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
On Saturday September 12th at 9pm, Tim Burgess's #TimsTwitterListeningParty will feature 'The Queen is Dead,' with commentary by Mike Joyce.

Posted by Nobody of importance:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is a replay of the listening party in case you missed it live and want to read the tweets as you listen to the record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apropos of anything ~

When í was a kid, í thought Love would feel like this...

View attachment 58972

ps ~ these are the only fellas that should be talking about "The Queen is Dead".

that photo would make a nice gatefold
picture for the next Smiths vinyl reissue! :pray:

Ah, didn't realise that was from same Grant Showbiz footage. í've seen the above 'backstage' stuff many times, but not the lounging part.

Looked like they were just round at Johnny's, after a slap-up tea and an episode of "Rent-a-Ghost"...

Too cute to cry.

Right at the end of part 1 of this:

Can't be arsed to post the other 4, the quality and sound require aspirin.
Jeane-Smiths made 100's of gifs - most found here:
Regards,
FWD.

Right at the end of part 1 of this:

Can't be arsed to post the other 4, the quality and sound require aspirin.
Jeane-Smiths made 100's of gifs - most found here:
Regards,
FWD.

Yep, that's where I found and saved them from back when Tumblr was still a thing (the website, not "tumbler", the type of glassware. Tumblers are still a thing.)

Last edited:
maybe just maybe, Morrissey thought it might be a good idea if he played guitar live on some songs?
Reading this I could hear his voice in my head saying "No, I never lower myself to the position of musician." :lbf:

But who knows? They could have done without Craig.

118765997_10223429489636137_8506074750140000969_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reading this I could hear his voice in my head saying "No, I never lower myself to the position of musician." :lbf:

View attachment 58978

don’t think I’ve ever seen that photo before. I’m guessing a fan asked him to pose with their guitar ? and he actually did?

don’t think I’ve ever seen that photo before. I’m guessing a fan asked him to pose with their guitar ? and he actually did?

That's Alain's guitar

View attachment 58978

Stay as pure as you are...?

From "The Face" March 1990 ~ 'The Deep End' by Nick K*nt

"Everything is so neat and spartan in Morrissey's room that the presence of a highly decorative acoustic guitar propped against a chair instantly calls attention to itself. Do you play now, I ask. "A little," he answers, that great anvil of a face suddenly creased with the familiar expression of 'pained mirth'. Why don't you write your own tunes then? It'd save you a lot of grief... "Everyone keeps telling me that," he says evenly. "Let's just say I have an inner voice which keeps telling me... ahem... stay as pure as you are."

He laughs then settles back. "I mean, my theory is, 'Why dabble with a masterpiece?' In a diluted sense, that's exactly how I feel about... um... things."

Four hours later, our interview at an end, one of those random seething energy rushes I've noticed he gets when he's excited will propel him helplessly to grab the instrument and cradle it meditatively in his lap for a minute before, just as suddenly, he almost throws it from his grasp, a look of mock-horror spreading across his face. "Oh God, I must look like Johnny Marr!" he splutters. The joke is on him and we both get a laugh out of it. But Johnny Marr, or more particularly the subject of his absence, is otherwise no laughing matter for Morrissey
."

Stay as pure as you are...?

From "The Face" March 1990 ~ 'The Deep End' by Nick K*nt

"Everything is so neat and spartan in Morrissey's room that the presence of a highly decorative acoustic guitar propped against a chair instantly calls attention to itself. Do you play now, I ask. "A little," he answers, that great anvil of a face suddenly creased with the familiar expression of 'pained mirth'. Why don't you write your own tunes then? It'd save you a lot of grief... "Everyone keeps telling me that," he says evenly. "Let's just say I have an inner voice which keeps telling me... ahem... stay as pure as you are."

He laughs then settles back. "I mean, my theory is, 'Why dabble with a masterpiece?' In a diluted sense, that's exactly how I feel about... um... things."

Four hours later, our interview at an end, one of those random seething energy rushes I've noticed he gets when he's excited will propel him helplessly to grab the instrument and cradle it meditatively in his lap for a minute before, just as suddenly, he almost throws it from his grasp, a look of mock-horror spreading across his face. "Oh God, I must look like Johnny Marr!" he splutters. The joke is on him and we both get a laugh out of it. But Johnny Marr, or more particularly the subject of his absence, is otherwise no laughing matter for Morrissey
."

Lovely.

I love this dig at "multi-talented people" from a February 1987 radio interview with Dave Fanning. So shortly before the split, when multi-talented wunderkind Johnny left to work with other multi-talented people and to stick his multi-talented finger into other people's... pies... or something.

"I don’t want to venture outside the garden gate and be this multi-talented finger in every pie. I don’t like multi-talented people.”

Last edited:
I believe @Whizz Kid called it.
Street now joining Mike:

20200911_211446.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

That's Alain's guitar

Oh. Still curious about the circumstances or story behind that photo.

Edit: now looking again at the photo, I’m guessing it was just backstage before a show.

Last edited:
Beautiful. I wish this footage could be 'restored' because the quality is awful, but what a lovely clip. Wonder what Johnny was playing?
For some reason I always imagine him playing Half A Person, although that one wasn't written until late 1986. I think it's because this little scene always reminded me of the way Johnny described the writing process.

"That was probably the best writing moment I think me and him ever had because we were so close, practically touching, and I could see him kind of willing me on, waiting to see what I was going to play. Then I could see him thinking, 'That’s exactly where I was hoping you’d go!' It was a fantastic, shared moment."

I don't remember if you can hear what he's playing in the video footage.

I think I like the gifs so much because they are like perfect little vignettes showing glimpses of the past, there's no sound to distract you and the bad video quality makes it look like a fainting memory.

(Good grief, I should go to sleep.

Ernest is waiting.)

For some reason I always imagine him playing Half A Person, although that one wasn't written until late 1986. I think it's because this little scene always reminded me of the way Johnny described the writing process.

"That was probably the best writing moment I think me and him ever had because we were so close, practically touching, and I could see him kind of willing me on, waiting to see what I was going to play. Then I could see him thinking, 'That’s exactly where I was hoping you’d go!' It was a fantastic, shared moment."

He describes the same situation, in reverse, when listening to Morrissey sing "I Know It's Over":

"Morrissey's vocal on 'I Know It's Over' - I'll never forget when he did that. It's one of the highlights of my life. It was that good, that strong. Every line he was hinting at where he was going to go. I was thinking, 'Is he going to go there? Yes, he is!' It was just brilliant."

This kind of thing - that whatever was between them, was really special - is one of the reasons why Nile kicking Moz in the present day just stings that bit more. He's pissing on an entire musical and personal history he wasn't part of. And we still love those songs, they still mean something.

He describes the same situation, in reverse, when listening to Morrissey sing "I Know It's Over":

"Morrissey's vocal on 'I Know It's Over' - I'll never forget when he did that. It's one of the highlights of my life. It was that good, that strong. Every line he was hinting at where he was going to go. I was thinking, 'Is he going to go there? Yes, he is!' It was just brilliant."

This kind of thing - that whatever was between them, was really special - is one of the reasons why Nile kicking Moz in the present day just stings that bit more. He's pissing on an entire musical and personal history he wasn't part of. And we still love those songs.
Yes, absolutely agree.

But don't forget: The Queen Is Dead is Mike's album. 😉

You do realise that this hasn't happened yet, you massive f***ing bell. You are literally commenting on something you've made up.
ha ha ... im sure the band are delighted to have such stupid fans as him

🤒

JFC Skinny and FH Mike in a tag along.:straightface:
FH babbles today yesterday and tomorrow are you all slow WTF?:mad:

🤒

Oy FH Mike and Skinny doing a choo choo:rage:
from the pub. Adios auction fivers:flowers:
FH Mike wont be babbling on the twitter NOOOOO who would think such a thing:laughing:

Last edited:
Tags
#timstwitterlisteningparty mike joyce the queen is dead

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom