Todays Music Industry

S

singyourlife

Is it just me or is anyone here violently disgusted with todays music industry?

I can count on one hand the list of bands/performers that have emerged in the past 5 years or so, that are worthy of my hard earned money...
Actually, I cant even think of 5! :o :(

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can count on one hand the list of bands/performers that have emerged in the past 5 years or so, that are worthy of my hard earned money...

The Fiery Furnaces. Jens Lekman. Art Brut. Antony and the Johnsons. Cocorosie. Scissor Sisters. Devendra Banhart. Keren Ann. Iron and Wine. The Decemberists. The Polyphonic Spree. I'm From Barcelona. The Dresden Dolls. Kings of Convenience.

To name a few.

The Fiery Furnaces. Jens Lekman. Art Brut. Antony and the Johnsons. Cocorosie. Scissor Sisters. Devendra Banhart. Keren Ann. Iron and Wine. The Decemberists. The Polyphonic Spree. I'm From Barcelona. The Dresden Dolls. Kings of Convenience.

To name a few.

And I bet theyre talented, davdavon.

But lets be honest the bands youve mentioned, aside from Scissor Sisters and Polyphonic Spree...dont get alot of airtime. I'm talking about the blasted Pussycat Dolls and Jessica Simpsons of the world. What is THEIR contribution to the music industry, aside from getting every 10 year old lusting after the new designer bag of the season!?
Will we remember them in about 10 years?
Highly doubt it.:rolleyes:

I saw Polyphonic Spree when they opened up for David Bowie a few years ago. High energy! :D

Is it just me or is anyone here violently disgusted with todays music industry?

What do you think?

I agree, it's absolute rubbish. I have serious difficulty trying to discover new contemporary bands.

The Veils are spectacular though. They are originally from New Zealand but based in London now, and are touring Europe at the moment. Their debut album 'The Runaway Found' was released in 2004 (brilliant record) and their new album 'Nux Vomica' was released last week I believe. Finn Andrews (their singer) is a very talented songwriter and they have a great deal of depth and character. That band and The Strokes are the only two bands that have emerged in the last five years that I have really been taken by, and I've also been impressed by Maximo Park, but everything else seems terribly average.

CocoRosie, Devendra Banhart and The Fuery Furnaces are some of my favourite acts. They are fresh and unique and I was lucky to see all of them live, but they are absolutely unknown to public. Can you imagine CocoRosie on the radio? Devendra Banhart is trying hard to promote them. But he's not exactly a megastar himself.

I only know them because of the world wide web and file sharing, otherwise I would've never even heard about those acts.

Those who are on the TV and radio (and I'm talking about "indie" here) all sound the same and look the same, that's for sure, morrissey is right. I personally can't distinguish between all those "new indie bands". Seriously if I listen to the radio I can only recognize pete doherty and YYY.

Last edited:
And I bet theyre talented, davdavon.

But lets be honest the bands youve mentioned, aside from Scissor Sisters and Polyphonic Spree...dont get alot of airtime. I'm talking about the blasted Pussycat Dolls and Jessica Simpsons of the world. What is THEIR contribution to the music industry, aside from getting every 10 year old lusting after the new designer bag of the season!?
Will we remember them in about 10 years?
Highly doubt it.:rolleyes:

I saw Polyphonic Spree when they opened up for David Bowie a few years ago. High energy! :D

Yeah, but you know, it's always been like this. A lot of artists and groups from the '60s-'80s that are considered classic today received little or no airplay when they were actually active. And a lot of groups that topped the charts at that time are virtually unknown today. To tell you the truth, I've no idea who the Pussycat Dolls or Jessica Simpson is, since I don't listen to mainstream radio. If they're good, they'll last. If they're crap, they'll disappear. I'm just trying to say that there's always good music, and it's usually not found at the top of the charts. It's true today like it was true thirty years ago. I think that today we are relatively fortunate, since the internet gives us a lot more freedom regarding what kind of music we want to expose ourselves to.

Back
Top Bottom