Top 100 films of all time

the prestigious Cahiers du Cinema has revealed its list of the 100 greatest films of all time – and not one of them was made here.

I'm not sure what your point is outside of apparently having your nationalistic pride wounded, but off the top of my head I think Barry Lyndon was made in England and Ireland, and Alfred Hitchcock was British.

Last edited:
i'm not sure what your point is, that sentence you quoted is from the article discussing the lists.

barry lyndon was filmed in england and ireland. directed by an american with an american leading man.

as is mentined in the article, "There are several mentions for Alfred Hitchcock and Charlie Chaplin but only for the movies that the two British-born masters made in Hollywood."

The movies - Le Cinema - are an American and French invented art form!!! America and France rule movies!!!!! Especially America.

It just goes to show that these lists are meaningless; IMO how could Star Wars possibly be in this list, and be ranked above It's A Wonderful Life? Has there been a thread for our personal top 10/20 lists yet? Come on Kewpie!

hmmmm

It just goes to show that these lists are meaningless; IMO how could Star Wars possibly be in this list, and be ranked above It's A Wonderful Life? Has there been a thread for our personal top 10/20 lists yet? Come on Kewpie!

Practicisng Troublemaker posted a thread of favorite films last year, but it has been archived.

You can start a new one if you'd like.

Re: hmmmm

Practicisng Troublemaker posted a thread of favorite films last year, but it has been archived.

You can start a new one if you'd like.

if you live in England Kewpie it's FAVOURITE!

and my FAVOURITE film is Rebecca. Alfred Hitchcock 1939

mmmmmmmmmmm Laurence Olivier

Re: hmmmm

if you live in England Kewpie it's FAVOURITE!

and my FAVOURITE film is Rebecca. Alfred Hitchcock 1939

mmmmmmmmmmm Laurence Olivier

Miss, please ignore my typo.

And this is not a thread to discuss your favourite films, go ahead to start one.

I think I've seen all but three on the French list, but I'm honestly uncertain of whether I've seen Greed, or only long clips from it. I've not seen the Ray or the Lubitsch that they list, but I've seen other films by those directors (and not especially liked them). I'm not familiar with Kenji Mizoguchi.

Night of the Hunter and L'Atalante would be my favorites from that list. Cat lovers in particular should see L'Atalante.

I disagree with the French editor's remarks on Hitchcock. I like practically all of the films he made before coming to America, and only one--Marnie--that he made afterward. The British films are better looking and are stuffed with great, strange character actors who appeared in few other films that are available today. The American ones are a lot of rear-projection, melodrama, and stiff movie stars talking through clenched teeth. Symbol-mongers like them, though, hence they're big with the French.

I've seen everything on the American list, but only like the Kubrick, the Keaton... and I used to like Singin' in the Rain, but I saw it in a revival theater this past summer and was surprised to like it much less.

I'll be watching "Meet Me in St Louie". :)

I saw that in a theater this year, too. The bits with the little girl were very funny. I wasn't quite sure what to make of Judy Garland in it--she seemed like a demented wind-up toy at times--but I liked her much more in another film in the same revival series, Easter Parade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom