The queen is dead
Friday mourning
The death of a disco dancer
You have killed me
Meat is murder
Death at one’s elbow
Pretty girl’s make graves
The father who must be killed

I second that, it's the most beautifully written smiths song, whether it's a death song is however open to debate.

If 'Asleep' qualifies then i'm having 'Hairdresser on Fire'. :D

The Queen Is Dead
There is a Light That Never Goes Out
Meat is Murder
First of the Gang to Die
Asleep

there is a light that never goes out
cemetry gates
I know it's over
Asleep
Michael's Bones
the first of the gang to die
Death of a Disco Dancer
Meat is Murder

(and, if it qualifies, Angel, Angel down we go together)

Girlfriend in a coma

There is a light that never goes out

Jukebox Jury

All art is about sex, death, or both.

But pedantic comments like that aside (I've been reading too much Freud), Girlfriend In A Coma has never seemed to be an obvious 'death song'. I've always thought it's about a stupid female whom Morrissey (or the protagonist) is annoyed by, but of whom he remains fond, despite her failings. Imagine someone like Paris Hilton, but better looking; she frequently appears to exist in a coma.

Or is opinion divided on this?

I agree with 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' though; not just the best 'death song', but the best song ever, full stop.

All art is about sex, death, or both.

But pedantic comments like that aside (I've been reading too much Freud), Girlfriend In A Coma has never seemed to be an obvious 'death song'. I've always thought it's about a stupid female whom Morrissey (or the protagonist) is annoyed by, but of whom he remains fond, despite her failings. Imagine someone like Paris Hilton, but better looking; she frequently appears to exist in a coma.
If she's just stupid and not really in a coma, why does he say:

"WOULD YOU PLEASE
LET ME SEE HER!
Do you really think
she'll pull through?"

Pull through what?

er....my original intention when i started the thread was moz/smiths song 'titles' that related to death..hence the top ten i suggested .
But lots of people seem to have gone for actual songs about death... so, ok let's not be pedantic about it...let's go for all songs about death, (probably more interesting anyway).
In which case i'd have 'The never played symphonies' high in my top ten for one.

not in order

Asleep
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
Meat is Murder
I Know It's Over
Angel
Everyday (i think this one counts)

what, no Ouija Board, Ouija Board? ;)

For me, There Is a Light hands-down.

And for dancing around, First of the Gang to Die.

Michael's Bones

Back
Top Bottom