Tributes paid following the death of legendary NME writer Dele Fadele - NME

Ben writes:

...reporrting the passing of Dele Fadele, a pivotal figure in the NME and particularly famous for his part in the 'Flirting With Disaster?' cover story about Moz's attitudes towards race.

Dele personally told me that Morrissey had sent over a drink - probably a pint of cider - to Dele when both were in the Good Mixer during Moz's stint living in Camden, and he took it it to be a burying of the hatchet of sorts.

Tributes paid following the death of legendary NME writer Dele Fadele - NME
RIP, Dele.

By Nick Reilly

Excerpt:

Tributes have been paid to the former NME writer Dele Fadele, whose death has been confirmed.

It is thought that Fadele died in 2018 of unknown causes, but his passing only became public knowledge last night (August 20), as LouderThanWar reports.

full

I reckon bull ox fark arse. There is no place in Moz Angeles called "Camden" or a bar called the "Good Mixer". What is it with you lunatics wanting to have idiopathic delusional fantasies that the California Son lives in your foreign country and city and feel some type of sociopath fantasy pride about it c*** tit fek'll chipper curry camp inn nn n nnn nn n n n it.

I reckon bull ox fark arse. There is no place in Moz Angeles called "Camden" or a bar called the "Good Mixer". What is it with you lunatics wanting to have idiopathic delusional fantasies that the California Son lives in your foreign country and city and feel some type of sociopath fantasy pride about it c*** tit fek'll chipper curry camp inn nn n nnn nn n n n it.

Back to your foul self on this thread, not a surprise after you disliked a post about citizenship.

He's got a good heart.

Besides, it's the editor who went after him & other writers irritated me more when I read it.
Top marks to Morrissey; magnanimous as ever. Fadele did allow himself to be used in Danny Kelly’s game.

In another life, I could marvel at the cunning brilliance of the NME’s 1992 ‘get him’ campaign. Basically, the deal seemed to be that if Morrissey gave the paper an apologetic exclusive interview—about an issue they themselves initiated—he would be absolved.

But Morrissey raised the stakes, and whilst he wasn’t left unscathed, the NME wasn’t left smelling of roses either.

And the whole affair breathed life into the rag’s letters page for about a year.

Top marks to Morrissey; magnanimous as ever. Fadele did allow himself to be used in Danny Kelly’s game.

In another life, I could marvel at the cunning brilliance of the NME’s 1992 ‘get him’ campaign. Basically, the deal seemed to be that if Morrissey gave the paper an apologetic exclusive interview—about an issue they themselves initiated—he would be absolved.

But Morrissey raised the stakes, and whilst he wasn’t left unscathed, the NME wasn’t left smelling of roses either.

And the whole affair breathed life into the rag’s letters page for about a year.

Ah, Danny was the editor. It was his bit of the article that annoyed me the most - a wail of anguished accusatory bulls**t.

Yeah, the obvious thing would be Moz on the next cover explaining himself. Not apologising though because f that.

It probably didn't occur to them that Moz isn't a natural performer & couldn't take someone questioning his judgement on that scale. I don't think Moz has ever really been comfortable on stage since. He always has a slight air of expecting abuse.

Ah, Danny was the editor. It was his bit of the article that annoyed me the most - a wail of anguished accusatory bulls**t.

Yeah, the obvious thing would be Moz on the next cover explaining himself. Not apologising though because f that.

It probably didn't occur to them that Moz isn't a natural performer & couldn't take someone questioning his judgement on that scale. I don't think Moz has ever really been comfortable on stage since. He always has a slight air of expecting abuse.
What an insightful observation: his dancing style changed after ‘92.

Dele personally told me that Morrissey had sent over a drink - probably a pint of cider - to Dele when both were in the Good Mixer during Moz's stint living in Camden
Cider? Probably a pint of piss, more likely. 🍺

What an insightful observation: his dancing style changed after ‘92.

I get a bit wistful watching him on YouTube in the 80s. There are times when you can see he's at one with the audience & the songs & his awkward body - just giving his soul to it.

I've never seen him live like that - his attitude is 'you might hate this & you might hate me & who could blame you, but I'm here now.'

I get a bit wistful watching him on YouTube in the 80s. There are times when you can see he's at one with the audience & the songs & his awkward body - just giving his soul to it.

I've never seen him live like that - his attitude is 'you might hate this & you might hate me & who could blame you, but I'm here now.'

I think age and illness had a lot to do with it.

Must be an age thing, as only iggy still dances like he did in 60s till now really...you can see it with a few singers as they get older things change about their performance, ferry for example when he started wearing the tuxedo..... Bowie... another

I think age and illness had a lot to do with it.

It's made it worse, but I think it's been there since the 90s. Although in the 90s it was more like he was in a brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly 30 years on, Dele and the Nme were proved 100% right. Morrissey unequivocally endorses a far right party, tells the world he prefers his own race, and waves goodbye to most of his fans.

Nearly 30 years on, Dele and the Nme were proved 100% right. Morrissey unequivocally endorses a far right party, tells the world he prefers his own race, and waves goodbye to most of his fans.

They were not - but you can twist like a hack so you've missed your era.

Most people on the planet prefer their own.........it's not rocket science.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom