TTY: Buenos Aires - Morrissey statement on Buenos Aires Dec. 9 show and Madonna; Jesse Tobias photo

An anonymous person sends the link:

Buenos Aires - true-to-you.net
10 December 2015

Photograph below of Jesse Tobias with two audience members after Morrissey's 9th December show at the Opera Theater. Many rows of seats were smashed during the show, and the band described it as one of the best of their lives.
Meanwhile, McDonna, wearing a dead animal on her head, sings out-of-tune on the streets of Paris to 60 people ... who offer fake applause ... and this rotates on the UK television news as worthy of national interest. The world is indeed full of crashing bores ...

Morrissey
Buenos Aires
10 December 2015

buenos_aires.jpg

Substitute "Madonna" for Morrissey in those sentences. And those things you're upset about, ironically, describe Morrissey to a t.

Absolutely they do. Except these people are far more obsessed with Morrissey than he is with Madonna. The difference again is that these people don't care who has a go at or what he does, they just want to hate him. There was a post made which was simply a photo of Morrissey with a fan. That's all. Nothing said, nothing implied. Just Moz and a fan. The vitriol spewed after that was incredible. They were basically having a go at him for just existing at that point. At what point do you have to let it go and walk away? If Morrissey wants to have repeated goes at The Queen, Madonna etc then he can knock himself out. I've basically tuned it to white noise from him. I don't feel compelled to let the world know what I feel about what he feels all the time.

These people exist here for that exact reason. What you pointed out is the exact irony. That they are doing exactly to Morrissey what they are supposedly outraged at him doing with others. It's this sense of egotism though that makes them feel like they are above it. They like to think they can get one up on old "silly Steven" and are just oh so clever to point out any flaw with anything he says. They're the type of people who love to tell you during a movie "I know what the twist is going to be", or at a gig "I know what is going to be played next" even if it's blindingly obvious to everyone else too.

Maybe people, especially here, shouldn't dismiss EVERYTHING he says in interviews as lies. Then we might learn something. Most of the issues Moz has aren't exclusive to him. Many people around the world, people like you and I, search desperatly for recognition and praise and try to get it one way or another. Nobody choses to be like that. I mean, I have a friend, who is very successful in her job and is loved and respected by everyone there but it doesn't provide her satisfaction because she wants all of that from a specific person, her mother. It distresses her most of her days.

That may be true. Morrissey has thousands of young exotic fans who think he's hot, musical minions at his entire disposal to tour wherever he likes, and even a few men and women he can salute whenever he feels like it.

And yet, seems he still hasn't recovered from the fact that Cantona let him know he's just shit-on-sticks, on those stairs. Since then, he has been trying to make Eric think he's sorry and really really cares, honest!

Nothing works. Flaunting the flag only gets lulz. Even Aznavour interceding has no effect. Morrissey is at his wit's end. It's really like Eric is not paying proper attention anymore.

Morrissey may be afraid to face up to the fact that he has lost Eric for good. That would be too annoying. Only his ma dying would be more annoying than that.
Or running out of champers.

Be brave, Morrissey. Be brave.

Supposedly Mike Joyce gets the royalties from The Smiths records, but even if that's not true, New Order have hot single after hit single. They sell a vast amount more that Morrissey does. I'd hope they made more than that figure by the way. The overhead must be massive even when they all just stay at home and payroll is at a minimum. If the entire band is splitting a million pounds a year before expenses, they should have gone into dentistry.

You supposed wrong on the Joyce piece and the New Order cash is after expenses.

Absolutely they do. Except these people are far more obsessed with Morrissey than he is with Madonna. The difference again is that these people don't care who has a go at or what he does, they just want to hate him. There was a post made which was simply a photo of Morrissey with a fan. That's all. Nothing said, nothing implied. Just Moz and a fan. The vitriol spewed after that was incredible. They were basically having a go at him for just existing at that point. At what point do you have to let it go and walk away? If Morrissey wants to have repeated goes at The Queen, Madonna etc then he can knock himself out. I've basically tuned it to white noise from him. I don't feel compelled to let the world know what I feel about what he feels all the time.

These people exist here for that exact reason. What you pointed out is the exact irony. That they are doing exactly to Morrissey what they are supposedly outraged at him doing with others. It's this sense of egotism though that makes them feel like they are above it. They like to think they can get one up on old "silly Steven" and are just oh so clever to point out any flaw with anything he says. They're the type of people who love to tell you during a movie "I know what the twist is going to be", or at a gig "I know what is going to be played next" even if it's blindingly obvious to everyone else too.

Okay, but this is like a spiral of logic and not a straight line if you can see what I mean. At the center of the spiral is Madonna in Paris singing one of her songs, that I happen to like from a period where she was really approaching her peak in my opinion, but that doesn't matter. At the center of this is Madonna. Then Morrissey becomes aware of it. He makes a comment about it onstage. Then it's posted on TTY. Then it's posted here. Now it starts to spiral. It's only superficially about Madonna now, but we still all say what we think of Madonna, and what we think of Morrissey, and what we think of Morrissey's comment on Madonna. This is still...sort of relevant... sort of, but this isn't Madonna's website and we're not in "other music." We're not really here to talk about Madonna. The relevant thing is not Madonna's performance, but Morrissey's reaction to it. It could be Tina Turner, Thom Yorke, and the Captain and Tenille, singing Elton John's "Candle In The Wind" in French and it wouldn't be any more or less on topic. It would still be about what Morrissey said about it.
So. guess what, he didn't like it. That was a plot twist no one saw coming! Who knew? So a couple of people made some comments about Morrissey. Brummie Boy posted the comment Morrissey made about Madonna's son, which, really... That was a horrible comment, and he should probably give Madonna a rest for a couple of decades, particularly because it came across as racist. I know that's a shock, too. Come on.

So now it's people talking about Morrissey talking about Madonna. Then we spiral out and back around with "people talking about people talking about Morrissey talking about Madonna." Now we're almost at the end with "People talking about people talking about people talking about Morrissey talking about Madonna."

Also, I kind of think you're wrong about people wanting to dislike or take a pot shot at Morrissey. I wish he didn't make it practically mandatory but it seems like he does. I think he is a troll. Ketamine Sun uses other language to describe it but arrives at the same conclusion. He is pointedly over the top in order to demand attention, and while it might not do him much good to do that, he does seem to have a way of demanding attention even from people that "don't like him," and that's in quotes because the truth is more complicated. Not to go through the whole thing again but he really shouldn't talk about Paris or Madonna. It's almost like she forced him to by putting the two things together in the news. The same way you "should" stop talking about the people that should stop talking about Morrissey, he should stop talking about Madonna and Paris. Or not. But don't make the mistake Morrissey and hes detractors make which is wasting time trying to control other people. That is my advice.

widely reported by whom?

the bottom has fallen out of the industry for quite a few years now. those figures are ridiculous. new order never sold in the us
moz/smiths sold even worse in the usa and i doubt hes even recouped his advances.
thats why hes not getting any more and had to tie in gh packages with new releases.
moz is a tax exile for a reason. lack of money. he tours to feed himself.

Widely reported in the court documents submitted 2 weeks ago, its all over the net. New Order have had a large following in the States for many years, in 1989 New Order played 16 gigs in the US, attended by 180K punters grossing them circa 3 million dollars.

Record sales in the US were Republic" (1993; 382,000), (The Best) of New Order" (1999; 428,000) Get Ready" (2001; 153,000)

Morrissey sales are as follows - so reckon he will be doing ok financially - I don't like what the bloke comes out with nowadays and a number of posters are also vocal about that, but people like you who simply come on here to diss him on every level, when you have no idea about what you are on about, get right on my tits.

Best...1 : 432,907
Louder Than Bombs: 412,444
Singles: 396,150
The Queen Is Dead: 287,180
Meat Is Murder: 245,385
Strangeways, Here We Come: 230,794
Best...2: 208,357
Harful of Hollow: 133,809
The Smiths: 130,076

The best selling Morrissey album from 1992 onwards are:

Your Arsenal: 366,047
Bona Drag: 360,977
Vauxhall & I: 293,017
Viva Hate: 234,804
You Are The Quarry: 230,169
Kill Uncle: 221,293
Best of Morrissey: 179,746
Ringleader of The Tormentors: 97,502
Maladjusted: 88,554
World Of Morrissey: 69,357
Southpaw Grammar: 67,4

Viva Hate went gold (over 500,000 copies) and was his best selling solo album in the US... need to estimate a lot more copies for Viva and Kill Uncle as they came out before 1992.

Are those Smiths numbers also from 1992 onwards or are they total sales?

Make no mistake - Morrissey is f***ing loaded. Forget album sales, or even the large sum 'Autobiography' must have netted him - he earns a shit load on tour. How much money do you think that one night at the 02 arena in London netted him last year? Close to sold out - let's call it 15,000 people (largest capacity is 20,000), paying £65 a ticket - that's practically one million pounds in one night. Obviously, he only gets a percentage of that, and not every night on tour is such a jackpot, but there are enough of them that the guy has more money than he could ever conceivably spend.

Viva Hate went gold (over 500,000 copies) and was his best selling solo album in the US... need to estimate a lot more copies for Viva and Kill Uncle as they came out before 1992.

Are those Smiths numbers also from 1992 onwards or are they total sales?

Yes, these are the numbers that were posted on another solo thread from a few years back. The actual sales are higher than the these.

My point to the op is that he seems to think Morrissey is struggling financially and I am simply pointing out he will make a decent income off the royalties from his back catalogue.

Morrissey could just make decent records again. A controversial opinion these days, I know. Instead he is substituting dopey opinions about anything that flits across his mind for what at one time was artistic integrity and musical brilliance. Fine, that's his choice, but to then expect not to be pulled up on his stupidity is the behaviour of a spoilt brat.

As for Madonna I found her Paris thing toe-curlingly awful, but not much more so than Morrissey standing over Boorer's shoulder dictating an email to send to Universal. The difference is you might have expected it from her at any point in her career, but there was a time when Morrissey would have steered well clear of such shenanigans.

In 1985 Morrissey correctly pointed out that Band Aid and similar charities were in no small part about the halo polishing of the stars involved. Today he actively chases a Parisian ambulance on the off chance he might bathe in the blood spatter. It's quite possible, of course, that he sees this as a chance to attempt to erase the Utoya debacle, and to rejoin the human race, but one thing is certain. The victims appear secondary.

Okay, but this is like a spiral of logic and not a straight line if you can see what I mean. At the center of the spiral is Madonna in Paris singing one of her songs, that I happen to like from a period where she was really approaching her peak in my opinion, but that doesn't matter. At the center of this is Madonna. Then Morrissey becomes aware of it. He makes a comment about it onstage. Then it's posted on TTY. Then it's posted here. Now it starts to spiral. It's only superficially about Madonna now, but we still all say what we think of Madonna, and what we think of Morrissey, and what we think of Morrissey's comment on Madonna. This is still...sort of relevant... sort of, but this isn't Madonna's website and we're not in "other music." We're not really here to talk about Madonna. The relevant thing is not Madonna's performance, but Morrissey's reaction to it. It could be Tina Turner, Thom Yorke, and the Captain and Tenille, singing Elton John's "Candle In The Wind" in French and it wouldn't be any more or less on topic. It would still be about what Morrissey said about it.
So. guess what, he didn't like it. That was a plot twist no one saw coming! Who knew? So a couple of people made some comments about Morrissey. Brummie Boy posted the comment Morrissey made about Madonna's son, which, really... That was a horrible comment, and he should probably give Madonna a rest for a couple of decades, particularly because it came across as racist. I know that's a shock, too. Come on.

So now it's people talking about Morrissey talking about Madonna. Then we spiral out and back around with "people talking about people talking about Morrissey talking about Madonna." Now we're almost at the end with "People talking about people talking about people talking about Morrissey talking about Madonna."

Also, I kind of think you're wrong about people wanting to dislike or take a pot shot at Morrissey. I wish he didn't make it practically mandatory but it seems like he does. I think he is a troll. Ketamine Sun uses other language to describe it but arrives at the same conclusion. He is pointedly over the top in order to demand attention, and while it might not do him much good to do that, he does seem to have a way of demanding attention even from people that "don't like him," and that's in quotes because the truth is more complicated. Not to go through the whole thing again but he really shouldn't talk about Paris or Madonna. It's almost like she forced him to by putting the two things together in the news. The same way you "should" stop talking about the people that should stop talking about Morrissey, he should stop talking about Madonna and Paris. Or not. But don't make the mistake Morrissey and hes detractors make which is wasting time trying to control other people. That is my advice.

Morrissey is outrageous in his statements and lives in a completely fabricated world and is pretty disconnected from reality. The thing is, it's like a football team. I love my team but god damn do they f***ing shit me sometimes and I blast them and I can criticize them and all .. but its constructive. It comes from a want to see them improve and its all part of it. Now, it should pretty much be the same here, that people see some of the things Morrissey says or does - whether it be artistically/creatively or otherwise, and if they aren't happy with it then voice their opinion - that's fantastic because they're Morrissey fans who disagree with things he says or want better.

But, there are a fair amount of people here who have made it quite clear they are not Morrissey fans. They have no interest in seeing any improvement from him, they just want to twist the knife and gloat about it. There is nothing constructive about that. I can't fathom why you would even stick around when you have already decided this person cannot offer you anything positive ever again. If you liked his past work - go listen to it, it isn't going away. You mention Brummie talking about Moz mentioning Madonna's son ... these are the kinds of statements these people love. They're not disappointed in Morrissey making these comments, they f***ing love it. This is evidence by how enthusiastically they continue to post and follow along to every little thing with never anything positive to say or contribute. That this is what their life is, is pretty pathetic. I assume they hide their online antics from their friend's and family who would think they are just acting like petulant children. So what if that is what Morrissey himself is doing? If you don't like it, just tune it out. If it offends you SO much that you feel compelled to dedicate this much time and effort to scrutinizing every little thing he does ... such as simply existing in a photograph, then surely you gotta take a long hard look at your own life's priorities?

Morrissey could just make decent records again. A controversial opinion these days, I know. Instead he is substituting dopey opinions about anything that flits across his mind for what at one time was artistic integrity and musical brilliance. Fine, that's his choice, but to then expect not to be pulled up on his stupidity is the behaviour of a spoilt brat.

As for Madonna I found her Paris thing toe-curlingly awful, but not much more so than Morrissey standing over Boorer's shoulder dictating an email to send to Universal. The difference is you might have expected it from her at any point in her career, but there was a time when Morrissey would have steered well clear of such shenanigans.

In 1985 Morrissey correctly pointed out that Band Aid and similar charities were in no small part about the halo polishing of the stars involved. Today he actively chases a Parisian ambulance on the off chance he might bathe in the blood spatter. It's quite possible, of course, that he sees this as a chance to attempt to erase the Utoya debacle, and to rejoin the human race, but one thing is certain. The victims appear secondary.

Personally I loved WPINOYB, much more than the previous 2 albums. I think that's decent music, but it's subjective. But I completely agree. And that's basically what I mostly care about - the music. The rest of the shit he spews I've basically tuned out as white noise at this point. "Oh, another MS Paint job TTY update, yawn" "Oh, another shot at the Queen". Its tiresome, but it's not that hard to ignore. If these people think they're sending some kind of message to him by continually voicing their displeasure then they are just playing right into his hands by continually talking about it. You'd think his statements and MS Paint jobs being met with mostly utter silence and no one giving a shit would send a clearer message.

If, as some people are suggesting, that I am playing into these trolls hands by commenting about it and being annoyed about it and it is exactly what they want ... then doesn't it stand to reason that they in turn are doing exactly what Morrissey wants? Difference of course being that I don't come here for them.

I guess my major gripe is the fact it is so blindingly obvious as to this website's agenda and that they are more than happy to let it continue, if not at least encouraging it.

edit: On a completely separate note - are there not things in 1985 that you believed that you think of quite differently now? Maybe it is him pandering, but man, some of you people give people absolutely no room to grow or change. You have these concrete images and ideals of how people are. Like if they say something 30 years ago it becomes a binding attitudinal contract.
But that won't stop people here writing their essays about it, and going "ah ha! See I found a contradiction, I am incredibly clever and Morrissey is a fraud, behold people, I have brought down your hero and if it were not for me you would not be aware of this!" ... which is basically what about 90% of their posts boil down to saying.

Last edited:
Make no mistake - Morrissey is f***ing loaded. Forget album sales, or even the large sum 'Autobiography' must have netted him - he earns a shit load on tour. How much money do you think that one night at the 02 arena in London netted him last year? Close to sold out - let's call it 15,000 people (largest capacity is 20,000), paying £65 a ticket - that's practically one million pounds in one night. Obviously, he only gets a percentage of that, and not every night on tour is such a jackpot, but there are enough of them that the guy has more money than he could ever conceivably spend.

Yet he is on permanent tour and has been for years, playing small venues a percentage of which are not sold out. Why? He was said to be broke ahead of Quarry and the success of that album was believed to have dug him out of the financial mire. Does anyone think World Peace recouped its outlay?

I don't listen to music radio and haven't for nearly thirty years. Do Smiths and Morrissey songs get heavy play? You might hear a few Smiths songs used in television shows occasionally, but I doubt you could buy much on the proceeds of that. I remember reading last year about some dingbattess who had a number one single singing about having a fat arse made about five grand from that song in total.

Streaming services pay next to nothing. Spotify pay $0.007 per play. Or is it $0.0007? Let's assume it's the former. Suedehead has seven and a half million plays. What's that? $50,000 or so? Gang has eight and a half million plays, so... $60,000 ish? Sunday has circa eight million streams, so add another $55,000. In total, since release, assuming no-one else gets a cut, which of course they will. Apple Music, Deezer et cetera will add more to the pot, but again, that's not just this year, it's the entire total.

I think there is a reason he never stops touring. It pays the bills.

Yet he is on permanent tour and has been for years, playing small venues a percentage of which are not sold out. Why? He was said to be broke ahead of Quarry and the success of that album was believed to have dug him out of the financial mire. Does anyone think World Peace recouped its outlay?

I don't listen to music radio and haven't for nearly thirty years. Do Smiths and Morrissey songs get heavy play? You might hear a few Smiths songs used in television shows occasionally, but I doubt you could buy much on the proceeds of that. I remember reading last year about some dingbattess who had a number one single singing about having a fat arse made about five grand from that song in total.

Streaming services pay next to nothing. Spotify pay $0.007 per play. Or is it $0.0007? Let's assume it's the former. Suedehead has seven and a half million plays. What's that? $50,000 or so? Gang has eight and a half million plays, so... $60,000 ish? Sunday has circa eight million streams, so add another $55,000. In total, since release, assuming no-one else gets a cut, which of course they will. Apple Music, Deezer et cetera will add more to the pot, but again, that's not just this year, it's the entire total.

I fear you are way off here. Before You are the Quarry was released it was estimated that Morrissey had £8million to his name.

Since then he has made stacks of money and he enjoys touring. He is a very wealthy man.

According to Google his net worth is estimated at 32 million pounds.
By contrast Johnny Marr is estimated at 2,5 million. Go figure.

Not sure how many plays The Smiths or Morrissey get but its very lucrative when they do -

Radio: A play for a three-minute song on Radio 2 generates £59.73 (collected by PRS for Music) for the songwriters, and a similar figure (collected by PPL) is split between the label and the performing artists.

Last edited:
According to Google his net worth is estimated at 32 million pounds.
By contrast Johnny Marr is estimated at 2,5 million. Go figure.

according to google? LOL you know the internet is nothing but truth.
what link TTY? he cant pay 100 000 quid to the drummer and he has 32 million pounds.
moz loves luxury hotels and hates touring, the only reason hes touring non stop is because hes low on funds.
he has the nephew make his videos ffs.

Not sure how many plays, The Smiths or Morrissey get but its very lucrative when they do -

Radio: A play for a three-minute song on Radio 2 generates £59.73 (collected by PRS for Music) for the songwriters, and a similar figure (collected by PPL) is split between the label and the performing artists.

are you nuts? quit making up stuff.
i know real songwriters who receive quarterly checks from bmi and ascap for ten dollars.
you are talking absolute pony. labels dont split with the songwriter, the publisher does.

59 pounds for one song? not in this universe are you nuts? you wont get that money for a million plays on spotify.

you have now a new world record for talking nonsense.
if such a thing were true, 60 quid per radio play, every single songwriter/musician would be filthy rich instead of being broke.

I'm not a Madonna fan, but I think she completely deserves her share of glory. She survived to many of her critics, Morrissey included. In the 80's he probably thought Madonna would desapear after some years...

- - - Updated - - -

Johnny Marr's accounts are online up to 2009, and it seems like he was averaging about half a million pounds a year (gross) from publishing rights. I don't think that will have declined much, and it stands to reason that Morrissey must be making at least the same. Plus, that doesn't take into account mechanical royalties. So Moz probably does OK off his back catalogue.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom