Uncut / The Smiths - Ultimate Music Guide (April 2019) includes "California Son" review

Note: Available now for purchase in app stores.

Posted by an anonymous person in the thread Official reviews for California Son:

The first review is out!

It's from Uncut. Can't quite see the score here but it's pretty positive and reads like a 7 or 8/10.
Interestingly, I think Uncut published the first review of Low in High School with a damning score (possibly 5/10) and the conclusion that it was his worst since Kill Uncle.
Please add other reviews to this thread (although there probably won't be many for another few 3 or 4 weeks).

Also posted by an anonymous person:

Morning Starship 4/5
Don't Interrupt the Sorrow 3/5
Only a Pawn in Their Game 4/5
Suffer the Little Children 5/5
Days of Decision 4/5
It's Over 4/5
Wedding Bell Blues 3/5
Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets 3/5
Lady Willpower 5/5
When You Close Your Eyes 3/5
Lenny's Tune 3/5
Some Say (I Got Devil) 4/5

45/60

Click the Uncut Tweet

Also posted by Famous when dead:

For those who collect magazines the review is in this:
The Smiths – Ultimate Music Guide (Deluxe Edition) - £10.99

47175_47159_SMITHS-BKZ-cover-822x595.jpg

https://www.uncut.co.uk/publication...usic-guide-deluxe-edition#WXfPw3ZcFywvTUDO.99

(Link not seen in Strange... thread at time of posting).
Bit expensive IMHO.
FWD.

Last edited:
I did say I would probably end up liking some of it. Ultimately these aren't great covers. I loved his version of Trash in 1991. I loved A Song From Under The Floorboards. I loved East/West. I loved No One Can Hold a Candle to You. I also have some affinity for the originals even if I heard his covers first.

I just haven't been wowed by much of it. I do like some of the artwork and I think the vocals are excellent.. it's the songs themselves that I just am not getting into.
I agree that "A Song From Under The Floorboards" and "No One Can Hold A Candle To You" were great. The Jam song and the Johnny Thunders song were really good, too.
What I've heard of this new record might make more sense if the songs were part of a film soundtrack or something. They aren't bad but there is kind of a novelty feeling to it and it doesn't seem like "the new Morrissey record."

I know you just love everything he does so you basically are devoid of opinions. I have one and you don't agree with it. I think I was very fair. You should try attacking the argument instead of the person making it. You should try it some time.

Was there an argument?

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom