Unnotified restrictions of user rights

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25370

Why cant posts no longer be edited or deleted?

Older posts can no longer be edited or deleted that are over 7 days old to preserve the archive and avoid potential abuse issues. The Marketplace is not limited to time. This may change, some sites limit to 1 day.

Older posts can no longer be edited or deleted that are over 7 days old to preserve the archive and avoid potential abuse issues. The Marketplace is not limited to time. This may change, some sites limit to 1 day.
Okay, i'm out of here.

Highly interesting.
So, i as far as i can see there has been a notice on a not even fully-operating new "comment function" but not even one word on the new and drastic restrictions and curtailment of registered users' rights to have command over their own posted content.

It's part of the new "comment" function as one of the limitations is if a post is deleted with comments attached the comments are deleted also. It isn't set in stone yet as I am still experimenting.

It's part of the new "comment" function as one of the limitations is if a post is deleted with comments attached the comments are deleted also. It isn't set in stone yet as I am still experimenting.
I wouldve appreciated a short notice telling us that the delete and edit function are temporarily (how long are you planning to experiment anyway?) not available for posts older than 7 days. As a principle i do not contribute to forums that strip you of the right to control your own content. I joined this forum bc there were no restrictions of that sort. I find this right as important as the freedom of speech.
With regard to the protection of the archive, i am pretty sure there will be other solutions. The end should never justify all means, and the protection of an archive shouldnt become the end of all endeavours in a lively forum unless you are planning to shut this forum down sooner or later.

Changes / adjustments are made on the site all the time. I wanted to see if people actually edited posts older than 7 days and no one has said anything. The change has been in place for a couple weeks. What is the specific case you want to edit/delete?

You talk about "registered users' rights to have command over their own posted content" - where do you see such rights posted? I don't believe there is any sort of forum constitution as I mentioned before from what I understand many forums do not allow editing beyond 1 day. Send me some example links on the forums you joined that do not have this restriction and I'll re-consider.

I wouldve appreciated a short notice telling us that the delete and edit function are temporarily (how long are you planning to experiment anyway?) not available for posts older than 7 days. As a principle i do not contribute to forums that strip you of the right to control your own content. I joined this forum bc there were no restrictions of that sort. I find this right as important as the freedom of speech.
With regard to the protection of the archive, i am pretty sure there will be other solutions. The end should never justify all means, and the protection of an archive shouldnt become the end of all endeavours in a lively forum unless you are planning to shut this forum down sooner or later.

Changes / adjustments are made on the site all the time. I wanted to see if people actually edited posts older than 7 days and no one has said anything. The change has been in place for a couple weeks. What is the specific case you want to edit/delete?

You talk about "registered users' rights to have command over their own posted content" - where do you see such rights posted? I don't believe there is any sort of forum constitution as I mentioned before from what I understand many forums do not allow editing beyond 1 day. Send me some example links on the forums you joined that do not have this restriction and I'll re-consider.
The only question i am interested in at the moment is, whether the edit and delete function will return. I am not interested in any specific cases and comparisons with other forums. I think i made myself clear enough, that i do not contribute to forums that dont allow registered users to edit/delete their content as long as they please, and that i wouldve appreciated a notification before this restriction of the edit/delete function occured, bc then i wouldnt have posted anything at all in the meantime.

No.

The only question i am interested in at the moment is, whether the edit and delete function will return. I am not interested in any specific cases and comparisons with other forums. I think i made myself clear enough, that i do not contribute to forums that dont allow registered users to edit/delete their content as long as they please, and that i wouldve appreciated a notification before this restriction of the edit/delete function occured, bc then i wouldnt have posted anything at all in the meantime.

I assume this question is addressed at me.

This comes close, thanks for the link. What i dont like about it, is that many people seem to think someone must have a special interest (mostly criminal or reputational) in seeing this right implemented. Do you always have to be an arsehole first, before taking a stand for the freedom of speech?

Well, all i can say is that this is no longer the forum i registered in. I feel betrayed. In addition, i am disappointed about the lack of transparancy and sincerity suddenly appearing at the surface.

Feels like having paid money into a bank regularly and all of a sudden you see that it's impossible to withdraw the money again, bc they want to "prevent abuse". It's still yours (copyright) but you cant do with it what you want. Thats how you treat children. But I guess that's just the american way of dealing with these issues.

I take your feedback and consider it. I'll say that your hostile stance, shots at the new feature which I have been working many hours on and the country where I live aren't good ways to encourage me to want to listen. First of all, the 'right to edit posts' was never something agreed upon. On one side is it's nice as a user to be able to edit any post. On the other side, consider that there could be abuse / revisionism - the site is a historical archive and not purely a social media site for the users.

I recently learned that many forum sites don't allow edits after a certain time - the main site that the forum is based on, xenforo.com limits it 24 hours. I asked for some example forums you mentioned that don't have edit restrictions but you refused to list them. As I mentioned, there are many changes all the time and not all are set in stone. I can work on my transparency but I don't think I need to comment on every change especially if things aren't even set.

Actually, i have said what i had to say. I am not interested in having the last word and dont feel i need any external understanding, thus i am not going to repeat myself.

You said that you feel demotivated to listen as your nationality and your contributions to this forum have been criticised in a "hostile" way. Well, does this remind me of something? Not sure, probably there are some repressed memories which better remain where they are.

Anyways, you said earlier that the edit/delete function as we knew it, is NOT going to return.

I dont need to know more.

Back
Top Bottom