Morrissey Central "Vera Lynn" (August 28, 2020)

VERA LYNN IS UK NUMBER 1 WITH PATRIOTIC BRITISH SONG

MORRISSEY DISPLAYS VERA LYNN ON NME FRONT COVER

d4824f3d9449ca7bb6c39e57ed11255c_1_sdurrx.jpg

kevin cummins
photograph

(As seen recently in the condolences thread).
FWD.

Oh god - a) it's a ghastly thing to celebrate and b) it's more delusional fake-chart nonsense.
Currently no. 15 in the actual singles chart.

"British Patriotic song" ...The dumbass who posted this on MC isn't even able to give us the title!
It's like the whole world knows about the Proms, but MC. :ROFLMAO:

MC person, seriously, are you even British? Sounds more like you were raised on a barn farm in Wyoming...
without even a radio set...

Should I be grateful for where I was born? maybe.

If I had to fight for ‘my land’ so the ‘freedom I have’ wouldn’t be taken away, then would I be grateful for the land I was born in? maybe.

I’ve never been put in that situation, if I was, would I then understand patriotism better? maybe.

I could never understand why people identify with a county, with ‘their land,
with their people, their blood.’ It’s just weird to me.

That said, I believe people should appreciate their own culture and the things that have been passed down to them, but is it healthy to make an identity out of it? To use it in a way that sets people apart and causes divisions or worse?

Identity I believe is the keyword here.

Should I be grateful for where I was born? maybe.

If I had to fight for ‘my land’ so the ‘freedom I have’ wouldn’t be taken away, then would I be grateful for the land I was born in? maybe.

I’ve never been put in that situation, if I was, would I then understand patriotism better? maybe.

I could never understand why people identify with a county, with ‘their land,
with their people, their blood.’ It’s just weird to me.

That said, I believe people should appreciate their own culture and the things that have been passed down to them, but is it healthy to make an identity out of it? To use it in a way that sets people apart and causes divisions or worse?

Identity I believe is the keyword here.

Patriotism is the 'keyword' here...aka the quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.

What is ‘patriotism’ ?

Is it not an identity ?
Not necessarily.
'Identity' doesn't always equate to 'pride'.
You might identify as American, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're proud to be an American, does it?

That post probably means:

here is a thing I've seen that can be connected to Morrissey & everyone else does patriotic stuff & gets away with it how come Morrissey can't?

Well - everyone else is more conventional than Morrissey so they're not as threatening to social norms & they also leave the house on a regular basis so if you slag them off they may loom at you at a party.

I was chatting to a Sun hack on Zoom & there was a picture of him, Noel Gallagher & Johnny Marr on the wall behind him. 🙄

Uphill battle, but on we go.

Born to Mourn humbly displays a trailer for "Land of Hope and Glory". First thing that came to my mind.

:greatbritain::pignose::hatchingchick::greatbritain:

It's the people's purchasing power that makes a difference (for whom?)

Not necessarily.
'Identity' doesn't always equate to 'pride'.
You might identify as American, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're proud to be an American, does it?

I see identity usually being used in a prideful way. Which is the kind of identity I’m talking about in regards to patriotism.

I don’t identify as American, only when I’m filling out forms I’d check that box (lol).
But I personally don’t identify as American, actually I would prefer not to identify with anything, anyone, or any belief (religious,etc) now if that’s even possible? I don’t know, but I believe it would be the healthiest and sanest goal for everyone to work towards for the sake of humanity and this planet.

That post probably means:

here is a thing I've seen that can be connected to Morrissey & everyone else does patriotic stuff & gets away with it how come Morrissey can't?
Well - everyone else is more conventional than Morrissey so they're not as threatening to social norms & they also leave the house on a regular basis so if you slag them off they may loom at you at a party.
I was chatting to a Sun hack on Zoom & there was a picture of him, Noel Gallagher & Johnny Marr on the wall behind him. 🙄
Uphill battle, but on we go.
  • Because everyone else doesn't officially and wholeheartedly endorse far-right political parties.
  • Because everyone else doesn't tell people that they prefer their own race
  • Because everyone else doesn't suggest that Bengalis don't 'belong' here
  • Because everyone else doesn't state that they detest reggae music
  • Because ...
This could be 20 bullet points long but you can probably complete the rest yourself.

Born to Mourn humbly displays a trailer for "Land of Hope and Glory". First thing that came to my mind.

:greatbritain::pignose::hatchingchick::greatbritain:

It's the people's purchasing power that makes a difference (for whom?)

informative.

“The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way it’s animals are treated.”

- Mahatma Gandhi

And of course, that goes for all countries.

• Because everyone else doesn't officially and wholeheartedly endorse far-right political parties.
  • Because everyone else doesn't tell people that they prefer their own race
  • Because everyone else doesn't suggest that Bengalis don't 'belong' here
  • Because everyone else doesn't state that they detest reggae music
  • Because ...
This could be 20 bullet points long but you can probably complete the rest yourself.

Because twats take things out of context & need to be spoonfed received ideas.

Which is why my profession exists & why every society will commit injustices because they 'sound good'.

I edited the spelling. ✊

Last edited by a moderator:
Because twats take things out of context & need to be spoonfed recieved ideas.

Which is why my profession exists & why every society will commit injustices because they 'sound good'.

There's certainly no shortage of twats round here.
Some people can't even spell 'received'.

Patriotism is the 'keyword' here...aka the quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.

I see you edited your post.

So...

‘the quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.’

Wouldn’t one need to be filled with pride to identify with a land that they feel is theirs in order to be devoted to it? A belief that they own a land (territory, tradition, culture, etc) and are of a land, and so this identification with it sets them apart from those they believe are going to or are trying to take it away from them?

Is patriotism not identity? a reason to
create a fictional other, to feel prideful and better than a otherness that one believes is not them ?

what's skinny doing ?
amazed he's not all over this like a cheap suit
have to say i cringe a bit when M posts this sort of stuff
patriot is a word open to discussion in this day and age

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom