very basic info on Moz for all the newbies who are asking Q's, not to be read by hard core fan

R

R. Zellweger

b. Steven Patrick Morrissey, 22 May 1959, Davyhulme, Manchester, England. Morrissey began his career with the vague intention of succeeding as a music journalist. Unemployed in Manchester during the late 70s, he frequently wrote letters to the music

press and was eventually taken on by Record Mirror as a freelance local reviewer. During this period, he also ran a New York Dolls fan club and wrote a booklet about them. Another small illustrated volume, James Dean Is Not Dead, briefly catalogued the career of another Morrissey obsession. Two other projects, on girl groups and minor film stars, failed to reach the printed page. In the meantime, Morrissey was attempting unsuccessfully to progress as a performer. He had played a couple of gigs with local band the Nosebleeds and failed a record company audition with a relaunched version of Slaughter And The Dogs. In 1982, he was approached by Wythenshawe guitarist Johnny Maher (later Marr) with the idea of forming a songwriting team. They soon developed into the Smiths, the most important and critically acclaimed UK band of the 80s.
Morrissey's arch lyrics, powerful persona and general news worthiness made him a pop figure whose articulacy was unmatched by any of his contemporaries. By the late summer of 1987, the Smiths had disbanded, leaving Morrissey to pursue a solo career. Early the following year he issued his first post-Smiths single, "Suedehead", with Vini Reilly (Durutti Column) filling the guitarist's spot. The track was irresistibly commercial and reached the UK Top 5. The subsequent Viva Hate hit number 1 in the UK album charts soon after, indicating a long and successful future with EMI Records. A further UK Top 10 single with the John Betjeman-influenced "Everyday Is Like Sunday" reiterated that point. In spite of his successes, Morrissey was initially keen on promoting a Smiths reunion but the closest this reached was the equivalent of a farewell concert in the unlikely setting of Wolverhampton Civic Hall. On 22 December 1988, Morrissey performed alongside former Smiths Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon for a 1,700 capacity audience, many of whom had queued for days in order to gain admittance to the venue. The following year brought several problems. Although he continued to release strong singles such as "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" and "Interesting Drug", both reviews and chart placings were slightly less successful than expected. By the time of "Ouija Board, Ouija Board", Morrissey suffered the most disappointing reviews of his career and, despite its charm, the single only reached number 18.

Financial wrangles and management changes, which had characterized the Smiths' career, were repeated by Morrissey the soloist. A projected album, Bona Drag, was delayed and eventually cancelled, although the title served for a formidable hits and b-side compilation. In the meantime, Morrissey concentrated on the singles market, issuing some fascinating product, most notably the macabre "November Spawned A Monster" and controversial "Piccadilly Palare". In March 1991, Morrissey issued the long-awaited Kill Uncle, a light yet not unappealing work, produced by Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley. By this time, the artist had not toured since the heyday of the Smiths, and there were some critics who wondered whether he would ever perform again. That question was answered in the summer and winter of 1991 when the singer embarked on a world tour, backed by a rockabilly band, whose raw energy and enthusiasm brought a new dimension to his recently understated studio work. The fruits of this collaboration were revealed on Your Arsenal, a neat fusion of 50s rockabilly influences and 70s glam rock. The presence of former David Bowie acolyte Mick Ronson as producer added to its impetus.

During 1992, Morrissey again hit the headlines when he issued a bitter attack on author Johnny Rogan. Prior to the publication of a book on the Smiths, which he had yet to read, Morrissey decreed: "Personally, I hope Johnny Rogan ends his days very soon in an M3 pile-up." The much-publicized and long-running dispute merely served to focus attention on the book and heighten appreciation of his Smiths work. Beethoven Was Deaf, a live album that disappeared after only two weeks in the charts, was a dismal failure. However, Morrissey was now beginning to cultivate a following in the USA substantially beyond the cult devotees who had followed the Smiths in that country. This offered welcome succour at a time when UK critics were predicting his imminent downfall. Then came the Madstock disaster - a live appearance in support of a re-formed Madness that saw Morrissey bedecked in a Union Jack - which, when combined with song titles such as "Bengali In Platforms" and "The National Front Disco", saw a huge debate rage in the media over the artist's interpretation of "Englishness". Vauxhall And I, a chilling treatise of pained reflection proved Morrissey's most outstanding release to date, reaching number 1 in the UK. With the more sedate production of Steve Lillywhite, this was the closest the artist had come to matching his lyricism with the right material components since the Smiths. Indeed, as Select magazine decreed: "If he keeps making albums like this, you won't want the Smiths back". However, it was to be his last album with EMI/HMV Records, apart from the much-criticized compilation The World Of Morrissey. Meanwhile, a collaboration with Siouxsie on the single "Interlude", fell outside the UK Top 20.

Morrissey next moved to BMG Records as they chose to revive another old label, this time RCA-Victor Records for 1995's Southpaw Grammar. This set opened with "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils', an arresting 11-minute update to the Smiths" "The Headmaster Ritual", which placed the secondary school teacher in the role of victim. Critics were not overly impressed and the album disappeared from the play lists and people's minds after a few weeks. Morrissey made the headlines in 1997 with the long-standing court case over Mike Joyce's claim on royalties. The judge ruled against Morrissey and Marr. This must have been his absolute nadir; even his tracker-dog biographer Rogan was able to confront him at the courtrooms. Ploughing on, Morrissey released the delayed Maladjusted for new label Island Records, although he was forced to omit a track that allegedly attacked Joyce and Rourke

other info for newbies

steven "esteban" patrick morrissey also battled a disorder that made him ashamed of his body. as you can see in early photos, he wore very loose clothing that hung about his frame to cover his scrawny, hairless body from public view. taking gladioli and bush branches and shoving them in his back pocket was a symbol of his desire to hide behind foliage and not be seen. he wore hearing aids because he couldn't stand the sound of his own voice and was looking for outside noise to mentally cover it up.

later in life, after the smiths broke up, he realized that he needed to overcome his fear if he wanted his career to last much longer. that's when the breakout video, "november spawned a monster" was made. as you can see, unlike the earlier videos where he was fully clothed, november was a stunning breakthrough in his emotional disease....although it is acknowledged that rome wasn't completely built in one day. he couldn't fully bring himself to expose his entire chest when it came time to shoot the video, and there are no suitable and manly solutions to this problem as he felt silly wearing a bra, so the next most dignified solution was to wear bandaids over his nipples.

he played back the video for his friends and family and they all kept a straight face, even though he was more hairless than Mr Bigglesworth in the Austin power's films. from that point on, he had no shame in ripping off his shirt wherever he felt like it: on stage, at the grocery store, getting his driver's license, he won fans everywhere and soon got nominated for a grammy for his efforts with 1992's smash album, "your arsenal"....his arsenal being the bare chest.

Re: other info for newbies

and i always thought he was just an interesting mug from manchester who made great records and funny interviews.....ho hum...... Wythenshawe here I come...... save me from this....... and Bugs Bunny is elected too!!!!!!!!!

Your Arse Anal.

Bone A Drag.

what grammy was he nominated for, please?

Morrissey's Your Arsenal was nominated for Best Alternative Album.

Tom Waits' Bone Machine won the award instead.

BTW, nice theory about Morrissey's body image disorder, but I must disagree.

He got half naked onstage quite frequently back in his early days with the Smiths, and did not seem the least bit self-conscious about it.

This is going to sound very fangirl-ish, but that was the BEST. POST. EVER. Good job, Suzanne!

if you think that was the best post ever, you are a f***ing retard that deserves to have a lobotomy

Lobotomy:

1. severance of nerve fibers by incision into the brain for the relief of some mental disorders.

Re: lobotomy - the cure for the poor

Do you know how they came about using this method?
Pretty funny story.

not that I think anyone should be submitted to it.

> Lobotomy:

> 1. severance of nerve fibers by incision into the brain for the relief of
> some mental disorders.

Thanks, but you didn't have to define the term.

Apparently I seem to understand a concept you don't yet have a grasp on. That would be sarcasm. I was merely showing my appreciation for Suzanne's superior use of it. I salute her and spit on you. Here's a newsflash: she wasn't being serious, despite what a couple posters (including you?) seem to think.

P.S. Not to be a pedant, but they don't usually lobotomize "retards." In a way, lobotomies turn people into "retards." They don't cure them. But hey, thanks for being concerned about my mental health.

saliva: a liquid secreted into the mouth that help digestion

1) Please get a life and stop living in here.

2) I spit back.

Re: saliva: a liquid secreted into the mouth that help digestion

> 1) Please get a life and stop living in here.

But I don't live in here. At least not compared to how I used to. Besides, who has less of a life? Me for posting or you for posting about how you don't like my posts? Charitably speaking, you seem to have as pathetic a live as I. Glass houses, babe.

> 2) I spit back.

I feel like Kate Winslet in Titanic now.

Ladies & Germs, I bring you Chill's BEST POST EVER!!!!!!

> I feel like Kate Winslet in Titanic now.

LOL! Now that is funny!!

Re: Ladies & Germs, I bring you Chill's BEST POST EVER!!!!!!

Good. It was meant to be a joke.

hey you crazy people

you don't have to duke it out, but i do appreciate your liking of my post as you are usually hard to please!

Re: hey you crazy people

Me? Hard to please? I always enjoy your posts, Suzanne! And no, I'm not sucking up.

*re-reads Suzanne's post*

Oh. Sarcasm.

*blushes furiously*

Erm, sarcasm sure is hard to recognize on a computer, eh? Heh, heh...

(Wow, I am such a dork)

My apologies!

*Decides to go back to lurking FOREVER*

Hey, don't do that. I wasn't trying to pick on you. I'd forgotten who'd said what by the time I made that post. You're one of the good ones.

*Blushes furiously again, this time on account of being deemed "one of the good ones" by Chill herself* (NO sarcasm intended there!).

Aw shucks, I guess I could still show my face aound here periodically, if you insist!

And sorry to overreact, I do tend to be a bit too sensitive!

I really think it's brilliant the way you respond to criticism on this forum, with intelligence, class and wit, and how you don't need to resort to personal attacks, etc. You seem like such a wonderful woman.

*stops gushing, but continues blushing*

Thanks!

You're welcome and thank you. You're far too kind. I've been known to resort to personal attacks in my day, although usually, it's because someone attacked me (or a friend of mine or a person I think is innocent) first. It's a bad habit, but I'm only human. But thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom