Vocal Ranges of World's (Western, 2nd half 20th c) singers... where's Morrissey?

If you're not a musician/singer, why are you bothered? He's not Kate Pierson or Yma Suma and doesn't need to be. The Voice conveys emotion and it doesn't matter if it's barely usable like Shane McGowan or beyond human like Yma Sumac. There's lots of 'melisma' ululations on The Voice/X-Fcuktor where aspiring *stars* do the vocal equivalent of a heavy metal guitar solo. Who cares? Just enjoy hearing him sing.

Morrissey has trained his voice to extend his range. He's worked very hard. Just enjoy it. We know the technical details and a couple of his vocal coaches over the years, but we're not posting any info here.

best
BB

Yes you can actually tell when he started with the vocal coach, as his voice was a lot less flat in the mid-smiths period. I do like the early Smiths voice, though, it had a real punk quality to it.

If you're not a musician/singer, why are you bothered? He's not Kate Pierson or Yma Suma and doesn't need to be. The Voice conveys emotion and it doesn't matter if it's barely usable like Shane McGowan or beyond human like Yma Sumac. There's lots of 'melisma' ululations on The Voice/X-Fcuktor where aspiring *stars* do the vocal equivalent of a heavy metal guitar solo. Who cares? Just enjoy hearing him sing.

Morrissey has trained his voice to extend his range. He's worked very hard. Just enjoy it. We know the technical details and a couple of his vocal coaches over the years, but we're not posting any info here.

best
BB
Why are you being a dick? It's a simple question. What's Morrissey's recorded vocal range?

Interesting. I'm surprised to see Buckley below Yorke in vocal range, you only have to listen to the end of Corpus Christi Carol. Morrissey's range has become more limited, i.e lower over the years. I'd be surprised if he could hit "I need advice!" these days, and had to play SISMS lower than the recorded version. Not a criticism, just the way a voice mellows over the years.

P.

Really? I thought he pushed his range markedly further with ROTT on stuff like "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero" (that chorus).

Interesting. I'm surprised to see Buckley below Yorke in vocal range, you only have to listen to the end of Corpus Christi Carol. Morrissey's range has become more limited, i.e lower over the years. I'd be surprised if he could hit "I need advice!" these days, and had to play SISMS lower than the recorded version. Not a criticism, just the way a voice mellows over the years.

P.

Really? I thought he pushed his range markedly further with ROTT on stuff like "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero" (that chorus).

You may be right, I'm trying to put a number on the note; if I get the chance I'll see what it reveals later.

P.

Last edited:
If you compare early Smiths his voice is higher now. I think he could hit that falsetto still. The new stuff reminds me of his Viva Hate era voice.

That's really not the same discussion. A bunch of inept ninnies discussing whether his voice was "better" here or there, or debating whether or not he "can" sing is not the same as asking a simple technical question.

Uncleskinny will come through, as always.

Its exactly the same debate (the content on the subject is actually much more interesting and informed in that linked thread) and there is infact also a sensible answer to the question early on if you care to look.

That's really not the same discussion. A bunch of inept ninnies discussing whether his voice was "better" here or there, or debating whether or not he "can" sing is not the same as asking a simple technical question.

Uncleskinny will come through, as always.

You obviously didn't read the thread. It says that judging on the highest and lowest notes Morrissey is comfortable singing, Morrissey's vocal range is 3 1/2 octaves, or 3 octaves, depending on which songs from which era you apply.

Back
Top Bottom