"War of words breaks out in Norway over Morrissey’s Nobel Peace gig..." - The Independent

Link posted by @morrisseychile / Twitter:

War of words breaks out in Norway over Morrissey’s Nobel Peace gig as singer unforgiven for comparing Anders Behring Breivik massacre to killing animals for fast food - The Independent

Excerpt:

So when the Norwegian Nobel Committee announced this week that Morrissey was joining Mary J Blige and James Blunt at the Oslo ceremony, the Norwegian news website The Local suggested optimistically that it was “a sign he may have been forgiven”.

That proved premature. On Wednesday, Norway’s Aftenposten newspaper ran a comment piece arguing that relatives of Utoya victims and many other Norwegians would find the decision to invite Morrissey “incomprehensible”. Comments on Twitter and newspaper discussion forums echoed the outrage. “Morrissey doesn’t deserve to stand on a stage in this country ever again,” one reader of The Local wrote.

Geir Lundestad, director of the Norwegian Nobel Institute, defended its decision to put Morrissey on the bill, telling The Independent that free speech was an intrinsic value of the Nobel committee and it would never censure an artist.

“We have had for the Nobel Peace Prize concert several hundred musical stars, and many of them have said things which we as organisers strongly disagree with,” he said. But he added: “They are not receiving the Nobel Peace Prize – they are here to be part of a musical tribute to the peace prize laureate.”

Morrissey will perform three songs to an audience of 6,000 in Oslo’s Spektrum Arena as the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons picks up the gong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should listen to what he actually said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvPRbylipDM
As you will hear, he said "worse things happens in...", not "that is nothing compared to what happens in...". Slight difference there.

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if anybody had video of the original comment. It is slightly different that what he's been reported saying.

I really don't think it was his intention to demean or justify the violence against innocent people in Norway. He wouldn't have referred to it being a "murderous world" or said "murder murder murder" to describe the events in Norway.

Re: "War of words breaks out in Norway over Morrissey’s Nobel Peace gig..." - The Independent

hope moz performs meat is murder : )
he's got to, right?
I mean after all this bs :rolleyes: what would be the point if he didn't sing it :confused:
they've practically dared him to sing it :straightface:
its like Jim Morrisson on the Ed Sullivan show :p

- - - Updated - - -

hope moz performs meat is murder : )
he's got to, right?
I mean after all this bs :rolleyes: what would be the point if he didn't sing it :confused:
they've practically dared him to sing it :straightface:
its like Jim Morrisson on the Ed Sullivan show :p

Don't know who you are, but you seem pretty paranoid and delusional.

____

On the subject: rationally speaking what Morrissey said was correct. Slightly inconsiderate of course, but true. Like it or not. o7

I'm glad you don't know me and I'm glad I don't know you. Saying that, you can't accuse me of "paranoid and delusional" for that same reason. I'm here to express my opinion like everybody else. If you don't agree with it it's fine, as I do not agree with yours. Morrissey expressed an opinion in one of his gigs and he was free to do so. If people liked or not, that's their problem. As you said it was true and, that's why people is so annoyed. They can't accept the truth.

No peace prize given to a war criminal like Henry Kissinger -- or a president busily prosecuting two wars and maintaining foreign torture centers like Obama -- is more than a fig leaf for a rotten status quo.

Morrissey could keep much better company than these hypocrites.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom