Was Morrissey in love with Johnny Marr?

Mars, Johnny
This singer who's name is very close to Johnny Marr's released a song titled "Meet Me In The Alley" in 1972, which may or may not have inspired Morrissey when he wrote the words to "I Want The One I Can't Have".

eh, one would have to assume that morrissey has enough capacity to have like human feelings and what not

Morrissey is first and foremost in love with himself. It was probably more the case that he did everything he could to ensure Johnny would fall in love with him. It's a skewed approach to love and may seem selfish but on the contrary, I think there's something selfless in putting all your effort into being approved of by another. It takes a lot less time and effort to fall in love with someone than to make yourself the object of someone else's affection.

Morrissey is first and foremost in love with himself. It was probably more the case that he did everything he could to ensure Johnny would fall in love with him. It's a skewed approach to love and may seem selfish but on the contrary, I think there's something selfless in putting all your effort into being approved of by another. It takes a lot less time and effort to fall in love with someone than to make yourself the object of someone else's affection.

Oh totally agree, I'll bet Morrissey was so sweet to Johnny in the beginning when they needed each other desperately to get the Smiths to succeed. But then he realized Johnny was never going to love him back in the way he wanted, he sought to isolate and control him instead. God, this would make such a good dramatic movie - someone's gotta write it!

I came to the conclusion that if you think too much about it, you can feel that almost every song, not necessarily Morrissey's, is written about Johnny Marr. So if you experience salt water shortage, you may have a drink, listen and cry a river or two. It works fine. Lol.

Blood blikey hell m8 inn n n n n n n it. Bull ox! You people are creepy. Are all of you locked up in mental institutions or do you just have so much time on your hands, your minds are just mush.

Unnecessarily insulting

Of course they were all in love. It was that unconsumated love. Unfinished love that is always more lasting and always more poignant.

Well, sort of, it turns out Moz was predicting DramaJs catastrophic career, contrasting it with his own
successful one.
Who would have guessed it would turn out this way, Moz very dignified looking- all the Prime Minister, while DramaJ comes out looking somewhat demented, with the:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:, the numerous tats including one on the fing NECK, the flower shirts. To say nothing of the sucky albums. In short his career seems to have crash landed into a...COMET>:drama:doh:
Are you still posting on here Vegan Cro Spirit?

I agree with you Morrissey looks very refined and regal. Morrissey has the looks of a statesman a leader. He is tall and handsome.

Some people think Morrissey was in love with Johnny Marr. Others think he was in love with Mike Joyce. Some others think he was in love with Johnny Marr's wife Angie Marr. Could it be that he wasn't in love with any of those people? I believe that Morrissey was in a romantic relationship with Annalisa Jablonska at that time. The surname Jablonska sounds Polish?

Some people think Morrissey was in love with Johnny Marr. Others think he was in love with Mike Joyce. Some others think he was in love with Johnny Marr's wife Angie Marr. Could it be that he wasn't in love with any of those people? I believe that Morrissey was in a romantic relationship with Annalisa Jablonska at that time. The surname Jablonska sounds Polish?
Annalisa Jablonska was Morrissey's girlfriend around 1984 wasn't she? Annalisa Jablonska sounds like she is a very exotic, classy lady and she is artistic. Eastern European women can be stunning and they are stylish.

It's probable that he had feelings for Marr AND Joyce.
Did Morrissey also have feelings for Johnny Marr's wife Angie Marr? I just feel that this all speculation. Only Morrissey himself knows the real truth!

Another quick reminder that you're all looking at the wrong band member when it comes to flings and desires.

"Why doesn't anyone ever assume that Johnny Marr was in love with me? That perhaps he was, in fact, madly in love with me but didn't feel he could act on that, or didn't have the courage to ever take it any further?" - Morrissey, i-D, 2003.

And there is the biggest fly in the ointment of your story. If Morrissey had deep, hidden feelings for Mike - someone he spent little time with and described as a person who "turned up, played his instrument and went home" - why on earth did he say something like that, why did he write Angel, Angel Down We Go... about Johnny? Or Billy Budd, years later? Or I Keep Mine Hidden, or Forgive Someone? Why did he behave like a jealous wife towards "outside influences"; why did he say, "I loved and love Johnny Marr, but I feel tremendous indifference towards Bruce and Rick"?

I understand that many fans have no time for such rumours - but if you went hunting for one and spoke to John Porter, Joe Moss, Jo Slee, Stephen Street, Tony Fletcher, "Rat" Rogan, Seymour Stein and literally dozens of people who were in and around the Smiths, you would come to the fairly glaring conclusion that the one he "couldn't have" was the boy who played guitar. It was as obvious, in it's day, as the Jake situation except that it was unrequited. Unless you think he turned his attentions to Mike (long married) in the period after the Smiths ended?

Last edited:
"Why doesn't anyone ever assume that Johnny Marr was in love with me? That perhaps he was, in fact, madly in love with me but didn't feel he could act on that, or didn't have the courage to ever take it any further?" - Morrissey, i-D, 2003.

And there is the biggest fly in the ointment of your story. If Morrissey had deep, hidden feelings for Mike - someone he spent little time with and described as a person who "turned up, played his instrument and went home" - why on earth did he say something like that, why did he write Angel, Angel Down We Go... about Johnny? Or Billy Budd, years later? Or I Keep Mine Hidden, or Forgive Someone? Why did he behave like a jealous wife towards "outside influences"; why did he say, "I loved and love Johnny Marr, but I feel tremendous indifference towards Bruce and Rick"?

I understand that many fans have no time for such rumours - but if you went hunting for one and spoke to John Porter, Joe Moss, Jo Slee, Stephen Street, Tony Fletcher, "Rat" Rogan, Seymour Stein and literally dozens of people who were in and around the Smiths, you would come to the fairly glaring conclusion that the one he "couldn't have" was the boy who played guitar. It was as obvious, in it's day, as the Jake situation except that it was unrequited. Unless you think he turned his attentions to Mike (long married) in the period after the Smiths ended?

You're still wrong. I know I'm right. And in time you will acknowledge that.

There was a relationship between Morrissey and Joyce.

But if you guide your attention over here:
f89a4fd64276c5b230f371b9ad2e95c8.jpg

A completely different dynamic. Moz looks so closed, shy, and awkward. His hands are very conveniently placed...:brows:
Excellent indeed ! A picture says a thousand words."
D.A.C.

Tags
marr morriseey the smiths
Back
Top Bottom