Was Years Of Refusal Morrissey's last Album on Attack?

marred

I have two copies of Years Of Refusal on Vinyl. One I ordered online and the other signed copy I bought at The Prague concert. I thought Morrissey was done with Attack after the Live at Earls Court release being the 3rd album he was signed for. By the way the Polydor record sounds a lot better than the Attack version.

How was this possible?

IMG_4008.jpg

Years of Refusal was released on Polydor (an imprint of Decca) in Europe and Lost Highway/Attack in the US.

After Sanctuary went bust, Universal effectively inherited Morrissey. They put out Greatest Hits worldwide through Decca. Morrissey was unhappy with the promotion job they did, and subsequently managed to get out of his contract for the US, but stayed with them in Europe (unclear whether this is because he was happy with the European arm or because his lawyers were only 50% successful in severing ties). He used Lost Highway, an indie label, to do the US distribution. At the time, Morrissey seems to have believed that he owned Attack Records, having been assigned it by Sanctuary, so that is what is behind the logo appearing on the US sleeve. However, it seems that his belief was mistaken and Universal actually took ownership of attack when they bought Sanctuary, which is why we have not seen the Attack logo on a Morrissey album since.

Years of Refusal was released on Polydor (an imprint of Decca) in Europe and Lost Highway/Attack in the US.

After Sanctuary went bust, Universal effectively inherited Morrissey. They put out Greatest Hits worldwide through Decca. Morrissey was unhappy with the promotion job they did, and subsequently managed to get out of his contract for the US, but stayed with them in Europe (unclear whether this is because he was happy with the European arm or because his lawyers were only 50% successful in severing ties). He used Lost Highway, an indie label, to do the US distribution. At the time, Morrissey seems to have believed that he owned Attack Records, having been assigned it by Sanctuary, so that is what is behind the logo appearing on the US sleeve. However, it seems that his belief was mistaken and Universal actually took ownership of attack when they bought Sanctuary, which is why we have not seen the Attack logo on a Morrissey album since.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. :)

Back
Top Bottom