"Wedding Bell Blues" added to Radio 2 playlist

It's finally made the Radio 2 playlist (B-list for week commencing 4th May).
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2qNJsnjYFvbLrK9CZ0CfYfM/radio-2-new-music-playlist
I would have betted on the album missing the top 10 without any R2 support for the single. If it jumps up to the A-list, it could propel the album into the top 5. It's an odd thing but radio airplay still makes a massive difference.
Radio 2 (and 6 to a very lesser degree) played Wedding... practically every day since Ken's show - which was good to see.
That said, if they were that concerned about the general singles chart and album success - they should have released the single's vinyl, digital & streaming at the same time for a combined figure.
They are actually diluting any 'success' with staggered release dates.
Please humour me - just one of my pet moans.
Regards,
FWD.

(I think the blue vinyl California Son will probably give it a boost in sales too, but any success will probably be due to all the formats of the album having the same release date).

Good news, and about time!
On Spotify it still grows really slowly, just over 300K now. By comparison Chain Gang has just over 1M and Spent the Day in Bed 10M.

Wow, that took a while! I looked the day after they had their world exclusive and thought it was a bit strange they didn't add it - same for the sunday afterwards, it was a no show!

It's a great song and fits the station demographic. I hope it increases the number of plays, though - they've been playing it most days since its release!

I had no idea the Lighthouse Family were still a thing!! That "Lifted" song has long been a guilty pleasure for me...

Album will make top-5, with a big radio hit could even be number 1.

Not much competition on the release date.

Friday 24th May
The Aggrolites - Reggae Now!
The Amazons - Future Dust
Andreya Triana - Life In Colour
Billy Ray Cyrus - The SnakeDoctor Circus
Cate Le Bon – Reward
James TW – Chapters [CD]
Joan As Police Woman – Joanthology
Malcolm Middleton – Bananas [CD]
Morrissey - California Son
Primal Scream - Maximum Rock ‘n’ Roll: The Singles
Sting - My Songs
Stray Cats – 40
The Waterboys - Where The Action Is
Whenyoung - Reasons To Dream

Friday 24th May
Cate Le Bon – Reward
James TW – Chapters [CD]
Sting - My Songs
Stray Cats – 40
I dunno, Sting is nicknamed the yoga unit shifter for a reason.

I dunno, Sting is nicknamed the yoga unit shifter for a reason.

Sting's albums sell in pitifully small quantities these days (even fewer than Steve's). His last one barely scraped the top 10.
It's not just about the new releases on the same day. There could be big albums that have been around a few weeks that are still shifting 30,000-50,000 copies.
LIHS did about 25,000 in the first week. If Wedding Bells gets strong airplay (better than just the R2 b-list), the album could match or exceed. But if he says something idiotic and toxic (at a concert or interview) that gets picked up by major websites and newspapers again, it will really affect sales. He's already mentioned that ghastly w***er off YouTube (at the last concert in Canada). Things could crash quite easily...

three weeks tomorrow we will find out,its a new album of old songs,looking forward to it.might even hear some of the songs in the broadway shows.

It's number 1 in the vinyl charts but nowhere to be seen in the normal chart? Was it released on other formats?

Friday 24th May
Cate Le Bon – Reward
James TW – Chapters [CD]
Sting - My Songs
Stray Cats – 40

The National release their new album this week, that will probably a big seller for a couple of weeks.

It's number 1 in the vinyl charts but nowhere to be seen in the normal chart? Was it released on other formats?
Indeed.
As discussed previously, by releasing the track digitally & via streaming on April 8 to then put vinyl out 34 days later guaranteed it's 'success' would be limited in the regular charts.
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom