"Wedding Bell Blues" w/Billie Joe Armstrong digital release, BBC Radio 2 first play (Apr. 8, 2019)

UPDATE Apr. 8:

Here's the official one:

Posted by Thewlis:

Now on Spotify!

20190407_030323.jpg

Wedding Bell Blues was played earlier today on the Ken Bruce show as a world exclusive.
Digital versions and a YouTube video followed thereafter.
It is reportedly the 22 year anniversary of Laura Nyro's passing today also (thanks Anon for the info).
The radio broadcast and other versions are available in the download section.
Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked Morrissey's cover versions of bands like The New York Dolls, The Jam, Magazine, Ramones, Raymonde, Bowie.... I even really love "Rose garden". But this song? Simply not for me. Or "It's Over" for that matter. I can't really explain why. I just don't like anything about them. Way too produced, polished and syrupy, I guess.

"Morning Starship" is the best of the three so far.
The truth of it is that he shouldn't be doing a covers album at all. He should be focusing on new material or collaborating with NEW songwriters. Singing someone else's song is ok in concert, but a whole album of it? Young Moz would probably have run a mile.
ACTON: Tentatively tipsy in Boston.

Anyway, I loved the other two singles, so hopefully they will release a deluxe edition of California Son without this one.

Oh yes, just for you. :rolleyes:;)

the piano and backing vocals are the thing I like about it :lbf: and of course
what Morrissey adds to it ain’t so bad either.

The truth of it is that he shouldn't be doing a covers album at all. He should be focusing on new material or collaborating with NEW songwriters. Singing someone else's song is ok in concert, but a whole album of it? Young Moz would probably have run a mile.

Obviously tipsy.

Because.. this song rules !!!! :rock::cool:

Oh yes, just for you. :rolleyes:;)

the piano and backing vocals are the thing I like about it :lbf: and of course
what Morrissey adds to it ain’t so bad either.

The piano and the backing vocals? Really?
I like Morrissey's voice, but the piano and backing vocals are too weird.

Hmmm... Do you like the Dolls cover of Stranded in the Jungle? I feel the same about that song, the only one by them that I always skip (same thing, it sounds like a strange collage).

My favourite one so far is It's Over.

As for the exclusive deluxe edition just for me: I know it's gonna happen someday!!!
I believe in the benevolence of God Morrissey.

Why not? Nick Cave's Kicking Against the Pricks is an amazing album and it follows a very similar concept (covers, American bands...).

He simply needs to stay away from the pianos!!! Everything else is fine!

He's in good company. An awful lot of legendary performers like Bowie, Lennon, Brian Wilson, Johnny Cash, The Stones etc. have all recorded covers albums so no reason why Morrissey shouldn't do it as well.

Was just played by Zoe Ball on her Breakfast Show on Radio 2, who described it as "his ode to Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day". (And who also commented, over the first seconds of the song, that it sounded "more cheerful than you'd expect from Morrissey" - or words to that effect.) So this is definitely getting some traction on Radio 2...

Unfortunately, it looks like it hasn't been played since on BBC Radio.

So I'm just listening to this on headphones for the first time - does anyone else notice on the backing vocals where Billie Joe is supposed to sing "take no bows" it sounds like he's saying "take no vows"?

True - and it's not on the playlist for next week, either. So that's a bummer.

There's often a gap of 2 to 3 weeks before exclusive first play and adding a song to the playlist. Album's not out til late May so it's better to have a big song on the radio closer to that time. It still might not be added to the playlist of course but need to wait a couple of weeks.

Is this eligible for the charts as the mid weeks are out and it’s not in there?
I've seen some debate about whether instant grat tracks that are part of an album pre-order (which is how most digital portals treated this song) count towards the digital singles chart.
So I wouldn't want to even try and guess.
They should release the physical & digital together if they want any chance of charting anywhere besides the vinyl singles chart.
That said, All The Young People Must Fall In Love just re-entered the vinyl singles chart this week at number 8.
So they are pretty broken anyway!?
Regards,
FWD.

I see where you're coming from, these songs are so "square". Maybe it's a function of age. It's the reverse of someone like Tom Jones or Pat Boone covering rock songs.
Hilarious ! Pat Boone would come out on stage in tight leather and chrome everywhere. Mozzer outta give that a go if tit sales are slow. Plug ol'Mozzer into the wall and "You Light Up Me Life." Your newest cover song eh Morrissey?

So I'm just listening to this on headphones for the first time - does anyone else notice on the backing vocals where Billie Joe is supposed to sing "take no bows" it sounds like he's saying "take no vows"?

Yes, noticed that too. Guess they found it funny and just left it in, or thought people wouldn’t really notice or care.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom