West Virginia eats Jamie Oliver for breakfast

Hey Ghosty, thanks for posting that article about the David Letterman episode. I find it interesting that he has so much to say on the matter. And to his defense, he is probably just being a realist on this issue. No need to give more credit to a country that doesn't really need it.

I have to say that as an American I am often times offended by comments made by a lot of posters as to the generalizations that are made about this country. I won’t go on to defend it because, most of “middle America” exemplifies these unfortunate stereotypes, BUT not all of us do. But enough of this soapbox; I just wanted to comment on one thing…

We were going to change to the metric system in the 60’s????!! How the f did that not work?! It’s reasons like this that make me so confused as to how this country can make such terrible decisions. How can you NOT understand the metric system?! Everything is based on 10’s, decimals of .1 etc. Instead of all this 5280 feet in one mile crap etc. Not to mention it is used by nearly every other country on the planet. Conversions are not fun, why should we waste our time? So stupid!!!!!

I think it was Ferris Bueller who said, “I weep for the future”.
**Edit, actually it was the snooty/snotty matradee.

Americans are very resistant to change, and I have absolutely no idea why. :crazy:

Witness all of the actual DEATH THREATS that have recently been received by Congresspeople who voted for the health reform bill.

Witness all of the actual DEATH THREATS that have recently been received by Congresspeople who voted for the health reform bill.

That actually makes sense-- ties in with their dislike of Jamie Oliver! They're so f***ing backward they still think they're fighting the British in Boston Harbor. I'm surprised Oliver wasn't spat on for taxing their tea.

jamie_oliver.jpg

Jamie said f*** it & eat like they do in West Virginia!

:eek:

At first I thought that was Chaz Bono.

:eek:

At first I thought that was Chaz Bono.

Me too! :eek:

Also, to those above with the comments about the USers again...please don't think it's everyone! Couldn't help but point this out again since I feel like it is increasingly more a like a crime these days to be American on here, just saying.

Also, Modrevolve...you got it!

Me too! :eek:

Also, to those above with the comments about the USers again...please don't think it's everyone! Couldn't help but point this out again since I feel like it is increasingly more a like a crime these days to be American on here, just saying.

Also, Modrevolve...you got it!

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/slKNd22GGaQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/slKNd22GGaQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

;)

At this point it would be a crime not to make fun of ourselves. Aside from the few genuine Yankee-haters here (and there are a few) most of us are just having a laugh. You cannot watch "Monty Python Live At The Hollywood Bowl" and not understand there really is some sympathetic vein of humor we all share.

Last edited:
Do they put corn syrup in Diet Coke? Because it's diet. It's diet. Don't take my ball and run off with it, please.

No, but they put other stuff in it. It has more caffeine, for instance, right?

I used to swill Diet Coke like it was... uh, water. I rarely drink it now and it makes my lips and tongue tingle in a disconcerting way.

Of course, I switched to drinking good 'ol tap water that turned out to be contaminated with dry cleaning chemicals!

Edited to add: If you handed me a tall glass of Diet Coke with lots of ice and a healthy shot or two of rum, I would still drink it. And ask for another.

No, but they put other stuff in it. It has more caffeine, for instance, right?

I used to swill Diet Coke like it was... uh, water. I rarely drink it now and it makes my lips and tongue tingle in a disconcerting way.

Of course, I switched to drinking good 'ol tap water that turned out to be contaminated with dry cleaning chemicals!

Edited to add: If you handed me a tall glass of Diet Coke with lots of ice and a healthy shot or two of rum, I would still drink it. And ask for another.

I used to like rum and Coke until I was told by Those Who Know that it was a fruity thing to order and I was embarrassing myself by ordering such an unmanly drink. I said, "Of course it's unmanly, that's why it's perfect for me!" They shook their heads and sighed. Apparently, a man admitting he's unmanly in an ironical, self-deprecating fashion, though once a sign of clever self-assurance, is also looked down on as unmanly. As is thinking for yourself and attempting to isolate rules of social behavior. I need a drink. "What would you like?" "..."

I used to like rum and Coke until I was told by Those Who Know that it was a fruity thing to order and I was embarrassing myself by ordering such an unmanly drink. I said, "Of course it's unmanly, that's why it's perfect for me!" They shook their heads and sighed. Apparently, a man admitting he's unmanly in an ironical, self-deprecating fashion, though once a sign of clever self-assurance, is also looked down on as unmanly. As is thinking for yourself and attempting to isolate rules of social behavior. I need a drink. "What would you like?" "..."

Those cowardly hipsters, hiding a distressing conventionality behind pretentious, ugly clothes! I'd let you have a rum and coke and I wouldn't mock you at all. I prefer gin and tonic, which I'm told is "manly".

Those cowardly hipsters, hiding a distressing conventionality behind pretentious, ugly clothes! I'd let you have a rum and coke and I wouldn't mock you at all. I prefer gin and tonic, which I'm told is "manly".

Gin and tonic'll put hares on your chest!

Bonifer_Dinner_2005_Elena_Mit-Hare-on-her-Chest.gif

My apologies. My inner ear is listening to my brain-database rendition of The Jam's "Eton Rifles". It's pretty close, though my inner bassist has taken astonishing liberties with Bruce Foxton's part.

I love Tanqueray and tonic and Captain and Diet. As for a Captain and Diet - I wouldn't find a man who ordered that at all unmanly. :rolleyes: An apple martini or even a Cosmo? Probably, but one of the aforementioned - not at all.

I love Tanqueray and tonic and Captain and Diet. As for a Captain and Diet - I wouldn't find a man who ordered that at all unmanly. :rolleyes: An apple martini or even a Cosmo? Probably, but one of the aforementioned - not at all.

Good God. I like those drinks, too. :straightface:

I need to go kill an elk, drink its blood out of my cupped bare hands. Something.

My inner ear is listening to my brain-database rendition of The Jam's "Eton Rifles". It's pretty close, though my inner bassist has taken astonishing liberties with Bruce Foxton's part.

Worm, in the words of David Cassidy when he was still with the Partridge Family, I think I love you.

Back to your drinkie-poo: good on ya, mate, for striking a blow for men admitting they're unmanly in an ironic, self-deprecating fashion. What a shame our supposedly evolved society has gone back to embracing outdated stereotypes of masculine and feminine hoo-ha.

You're probably too young to remember, but back in the 70's and early 80's it would cause laughs of derision when old-fashioned, uptight folks couldn't accept gender-neutral modes of behavior and dress. There were even popular satirical books such as "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" and "Real Women Don't Pump Gas." Sadly, we've regressed since then. A man can be shamed out of ordering a certain kind of drink deemed unmanly. A woman will raise eyebrows if she's indifferent to fashionable, crippling footwear and "Sex & the City" re-runs.

Back
Top Bottom