West Virginia eats Jamie Oliver for breakfast

Worm, in the words of David Cassidy when he was still with the Partridge Family, I think I love you.

Back to your drinkie-poo: good on ya, mate, for striking a blow for men admitting they're unmanly in an ironic, self-deprecating fashion. What a shame our supposedly evolved society has gone back to embracing outdated stereotypes of masculine and feminine hoo-ha.

You're probably too young to remember, but back in the 70's and early 80's it would cause laughs of derision when old-fashioned, uptight folks couldn't accept gender-neutral modes of behavior and dress. There were even popular satirical books such as "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" and "Real Women Don't Pump Gas." Sadly, we've regressed since then. A man can be shamed out of ordering a certain kind of drink deemed unmanly. A woman will raise eyebrows if she's indifferent to fashionable, crippling footwear and "Sex & the City" re-runs.

Tell me more. This in insteresting. And I agree.

Tell me more. This in insteresting. And I agree.

I think it's been an underreported cultural phenomenon, this return to old gender stereotypes. I'm getting an idea for a book actually. Something like Susan Faludi's Backlash -- we need another one o' those. Strangely, I think there may be a parallel with the return of extremely negative stereotypes of black people, which folks like Bill Cosby have talked about. He and others have basically said: the way black people are portrayed and/or are portraying themselves in rap/r&b and other mediums are things which took the civil rights movement many decades to overcome (ex. the idea of black men as hypersexual, violent thugs, the celebration of ignorance and the ghetto, the put-downs of educated and ambitious blacks as "acting white," etc.).

Shoot, how'd we get off the subject of fat people in West Virginia?!

Though I don't agree with Letterman's passive stance of "we can't do anything about it, we're going to eat every cookie in the store because it's there," I believe he does have a point that it's a class issue as well: poor people get fat, wealthy people don't. I work as a fundraiser, which puts me in contact with a lot of well-heeled folk, and you rarely see an obese rich person. I don't know if they're on diet pills or have superior self-control, but usually at dinner they eat very sparingly - just a few bites. They'll wave off dessert. Of course, maybe that's only their public behavior. Maybe they go home to their mansions and order their private chefs to cook a vat of macaroni & cheese with fudge sauce, I dunno.

Last edited:
Though I don't agree with Letterman's passive stance of "we can't do anything about it, we're going to eat every cookie in the store because it's there," I believe he does have a point that it's a class issue as well: poor people get fat, wealthy people don't. I work as a fundraiser, which puts me in contact with a lot of well-heeled folk, and you rarely see an obese rich person. I don't know if they're on diet pills or have superior self-control, but usually at dinner they eat very sparingly - just a few bites. They'll wave off dessert. Of course, maybe that's only their public behavior. Maybe they go home to their mansions and order their private chefs to cook a vat of macaroni & cheese with fudge sauce, I dunno.

You can never be too rich or too thin, apparently.

Who gives a toss about appearing unmanly as long as there's alcohol in the drink. :thumb:

'Tis true. Once you've consumed enough alcohol it doesn't matter. Suddenly you're Sean Connery and you can get away with whatever you like. On Karaoke Night, after six or seven Cosmos, I usually grab the mic and do my signature Andrew Loyd Webber medley ("Love Changes Everything"/"Gus: The Theater Cat"/"Music Of The Night"). "All eyes on me, ladies! Your attention...is re-quest-ed..." It really touches them in a deep, deep spot.

'Tis true. Once you've consumed enough alcohol it doesn't matter. Suddenly you're Sean Connery and you can get away with whatever you like. On Karaoke Night, after six or seven Cosmos, I usually grab the mic and do my signature Andrew Loyd Webber medley ("Love Changes Everything"/"Gus: The Theater Cat"/"Music Of The Night"). "All eyes on me, ladies! Your attention...is re-quest-ed..." It really touches them in a deep, deep spot.

YouTube?

Worm, in the words of David Cassidy when he was still with the Partridge Family, I think I love you.

Back to your drinkie-poo: good on ya, mate, for striking a blow for men admitting they're unmanly in an ironic, self-deprecating fashion. What a shame our supposedly evolved society has gone back to embracing outdated stereotypes of masculine and feminine hoo-ha.

You're probably too young to remember, but back in the 70's and early 80's it would cause laughs of derision when old-fashioned, uptight folks couldn't accept gender-neutral modes of behavior and dress. There were even popular satirical books such as "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" and "Real Women Don't Pump Gas." Sadly, we've regressed since then. A man can be shamed out of ordering a certain kind of drink deemed unmanly. A woman will raise eyebrows if she's indifferent to fashionable, crippling footwear and "Sex & the City" re-runs.

Why thanks, Mars! Compliments in David Cassidy's words are finer than the finest Hallmark card. :rolleyes:

Actually I'm not sure things have improved. Revolutions are circles, after all.

Stages of Male Confusion, Post Gender-Equality, 1968-Present (Rendered in Balls/Quiche Polarity)

Stage 1: Balls
Stage 2: Quiche
Stage 3: Balls * (-Quiche)
Stage 4: "Quiche"
Stage 5: "Balls"
Stage 6: QuicheBalls
Stage 7: ("Balls of Quiche" -1)/Ontological Surrender
Stage 8 (PRESENT): Absolute confusion; what's for lunch?​

Quiche balls are scrumptious, that's all I know. Jamie Oliver should cook them for the children of West Virginia.

I think it's called a uvula, and it's not that deep.

"The sale of XXL coffins has more than trebled in recent years." :straightface:

20071008-Hillbilly_Hotdogs_10_lb_Burger_17.JPG

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263142/Burgers-big-dustbin-lids-coffins-need-cranes-obese-children-having-heart-attacks--supersized-US-town-causing-Jamie-Oliver-despair.html

Back
Top Bottom