What 5 films do you consider to be the most Overrated of all-time?

J

Justin Playfair

5 most overrated films.....

-in no particular order.

"The Departed" (2006) I can't believe this won the Oscar for Best Picture. Not even Nicholson could save this crap.

untitled.png

I tried, but I never liked this guy.

"Chinatown" (1974) I give this film an "F." I'd rather be on a chain gang breaking up rocks than watch this again. I love Jack Nicholson and like Faye Dunaway but they couldn't overcome the weak screenplay. I was expecting so much from this film and yet all I got from it was bitter disappointment.

Nicholson..jpg

-have to admit this would make a nice avatar.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) The music being incessantly played throughout the film drives me up a wall. Harrison Ford is great and the action scenes are solid but the music ruins it for me. Maybe music isn't the proper terminology for it. Its more like a wall of awful noise.

Cobra.jpg

I worked with a guy named Cobra for three years. True story.

"The Woman in the Window" (1944) Pretty solid film until the final two minutes when we find out "it's all been a dream." I'm glad to spoil the ending for you because this will save you from wasting your time watching this film. Edward G. Robinson is great as usual, but the ending left me feeling colder than a Biscayne Bay December.

it was all a dream..jpg

.....it was all a dream.

"Silver Linings Playbook" (2012) Honestly, there's not one positive word I can say about this film. Well, except for the fact that Jennifer Lawrence looked hella hot in her dance competition outfit. (All apologies, to anyone who found that to be a sexist comment.) I give this movie an "F." I would've walked out but I was with three other people and didn't want to be rude.

F.jpg

F minus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avatar - Never understood the facination
Inception - Love Leo, but boring
Twilight - all of them
The Social Network - annoying
The Great and Powerful Oz - bad acting

Star Wars.
Titanic.
Slumdog Millionaire.
War Horse.

fascinating, "Chinatown" is one of my fave films :eek: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" too for that matter
& I really liked "The Departed" & "Silver Linings Playbook" :o
as for my overrated 5:

It's a Wonderful Life
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Forrest Gump
Midnight Cowboy
&
2001: A Space Odyssey, though I love most Kubrick films :straightface:

Chittychittybangbangposter.jpgdead_poets_society_-_poster_1__1989_.jpgimages.jpgscarface-movie-poster.jpgSound_of_music.jpg

Do I have to narrow it down to five? :(

Memento
Inception
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Basically anything that requires an academic to be present in the screening room to explain the convoluted mess to the rest of us simpletons.

And these two...

Brokeback Mountain
The Lion King

It's weird to me that anyone would include stuff like Star Wars or Twilight in a list like this. Those films might be incredibly popular but they're not going to show up on a list of favourite films made by anyone with more than a passing interest in cinema. If we're talking films that are overrated by teenagers then they deserve a place, definitely. You wouldn't call Justin Bieber overrated. Nobody rates Justin Bieber. His music is mindless crap made for children. Like Twilight and Harry Potter.

Avatar - Never understood the facination
Inception - Love Leo, but boring
Twilight - all of them
The Social Network - annoying
The Great and Powerful Oz - bad acting

The 5 most overrated films of all time were released within the last few years? Hmmmm....

The 5 most overrated films of all time were released within the last few years? Hmmmm....

You didn't get the memo that all time started 5 years ago? Hello? Age of Aquarius? Duh!

Lost in Translation

Pretty Woman

ummm that`s all I can think of at the moment it`s about 4: a.m. here

Back
Top Bottom