What are you doing to help Haiti?

Giving money to The American Red Cross, or another US based organization.

My Church sends several people (especially doctors and dentists) there many times a year for medical assistance. We have a few Haitian kids in our Parish
(who are up here for more serious medical treatment) who still haven't been able
to contact their families.

I wouldn't give a dime to the UNICEF bullshit.

Giving money to The American Red Cross, or another US based organization.

My Church sends several people (especially doctors and dentists) there many times a year for medical assistance. We have a few Haitian kids in our Parish
(who are up here for more serious medical treatment) who still haven't been able
to contact their families.

I wouldn't give a dime to the UNICEF bullshit.

Agreed. Bill O'Reilly was urging people today not to give money directly to the Haitian goverment (Which, knowing the prior conditions of Haiti, I knew) and to donate money to doctors who are going over there that you know will use the money for things they need.

Resources:

January 14, 2010

International charities are just beginning to ramp up their efforts in Haiti. If you're looking to give money to help these relief activities, here is a list of some of the larger, established international aid organizations responding to the disaster:

American Jewish World Service

AmeriCares

CARE

Catholic Relief Services

Direct Relief International

Doctors Without Borders

International Committee of the Red Cross

International Rescue Committee

Mercy Corps

Oxfam

Partners in Health

The Salvation Army

Save the Children

World Food Programme

Some organizations accepting donations by text message:

American Red Cross: You can text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross relief for Haiti, charged to your cell phone bill.

Yele Haiti: You can text "YELE" to 501501 to automatically donate $5 to the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund, charged to your cell phone bill.

The list is just a starting point for you and your own research. There are a number of online tools available for evaluating charities and making donations to a broader range of NGOs, including CharityNavigator.org and NetworkForGood.org.

I find it difficult to watch the news. It's sad and I feel there's not much I can do. Then I can't forget what I've seen.
But I donated money through the Swedish red cross.

It's really sad. I'm watching Wyclef Jean on the News right now, talking about how they cleaned up bodies from the street all day.

I don't think I knew he was Haitian.

My daughter told me today that she'd like to donate a week's worth of her allowance to Haiti. I told her I'd send some too. She's so dear. I'm proud.

What you might not realize is that the day before the quake within the city limits of Port Au Prince , an estimated fifty thousand children were being kept legally as sex slaves under that country's twisted laws.

Some are no doubt buried right now along with their captors.

Within the same grave, a sick tormentor gets his justice and an innocent victim suffers no more. Think about that one, people..

One should at least hope that this legal form of slavery will be abolished someday, maybe the quake will be the catalyst for that change.
This place was already hell on earth before the first building fell.

Some of you fiends are just awful, you must be British or something...:sick:

Some of you fiends are just awful, you must be British or something...:sick

Very nice I'm sure, but what does this have to do with being British?

merely an observation of humour, tho I suppose being British isn't a prerequisite for being dark...

I'm doing nothing. I'm poor and I barely eat myself. I'd help if I could. But I would NEVER send money directly to Haiti. The government is not known for the most noble usages of cash flow.

Do you mean the Haitian government that has tremendous lack of power and is totally non-existent at this point? The organizations are in charge of the money.

I am very sad over the devastation in Haiti. Many of my friends and classmates are Haitian and they are distraught over the safety of their family members.
Most of the organizations aren't government affiliated and every penny is sent to the relief of Haiti (and this truth is not assured but assumed, because I am a trusting person and would not fancy myself cynical to people's outpouring of help and concern for Haiti.) I think the government or some sectors of government affiliated troops, social workers, volunteers, whatever are sent there out of the government's own pocket i.e America's tax money.
I am poor as well. but I still have a desire to help.
Oh by the way did anyone hear the rubbish Pat Robertson said about why Haiti is under destruction?

Brazilian missionary Zilda Arms died there. We're all shocked about her death. She was such a wonderful people - one who fought for others all her life.

Don't be stupid now (though)

Nothing is a prerequisite for being anything

I never said anything was a prerequisite for anything, so perhaps it is you that is being stupid here..:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom