What did Morrissey's music do for your perception of music?

Mapleton

When discussing the topic of music, I have brought up that I never knew what it mean to truly have a passion for music until I discovered Morrissey's music.

I think most people only "like" music. Most may never find a genre or specific musician/group that speaks to them so much that it crosses over to a true passion and admiration. A deep admiration. Something you'll carry with you for the rest of your life.

I think part of Morrissey's "cult" status as they call it, is because most of his listeners truly "get" his music. They don't "like" it, like you would like a pop song you heard on the radio (which these days it rare), they love the music and have a genuine, deep admiration for it.

Once you "get" Morrissey, it changes the way you look at music.

Similar experience anyone?

I think that's right, but not nessecerily something just about Morrissey's music, but anyone who discovers a great artists such as him and it changes the way they look at music. For me it was Morrissey, The Smiths, Aimee Mann and Siouxsie and the Banshees that really changed the way I looked at music. I also think it's right about what you say about most people merely liking music. When I try and talk about how great Morrissey is or Siouxsie and the Banshees, they think I'm exgadderating because while they like (or in most cases don't) like the music so they don't get it. I would love to meet somebody as passionate about music as much as I do but most people seem to be quite indifferent to it; they like a handful of songs or whatever is on current radio, but they aren't interested in exploring music, which is what I started doing, particularly after I got into The Smiths and Morrissey and now I've found all these other great bands and artists and music has become a lot more relavant to my life, which a lot of people don't get because music is just light entertainment or something to dance along to, for them.

Raised my standards when it comes to judging vocals and lyrics. That's about it, really. As a whole, my opinion is that the actual MUSIC (i.e, instrumentation) of Morrissey's solo career isn't quite as evocative as that of the Smiths. Morrissey's voice and lyrics are the evocative element of his solo career - hence why he's the focal point.

Exactly this. It made me realize how lazy most pop musicians truly are.

Morrissey's combination of abrasive, sensitive, bawdy and poetic has also been a big influence on my taste in general.

Raised my standards when it comes to judging vocals and lyrics. That's about it, really. As a whole, my opinion is that the actual MUSIC (i.e, instrumentation) of Morrissey's solo career isn't quite as evocative as that of the Smiths. Morrissey's voice and lyrics are the evocative element of his solo career - hence why he's the focal point.

Back
Top Bottom