What do you think of the new version of This Charming Man?

What do you think of Morrissey's new live version of This Charming Man?

• Total voters
Vocals have been superb. Punk concept is fine (nothing is that sacred -- we always have the original). Execution is just OK. If they keep doing it over the tour it should improve...should.

It's too delicate a song to be souped up like that, the music is almost overpowering. I know they're trying to keep it current, but it's lost its jingle (literally). Not that I won't freak out hearing it in concert :o but I prefer it be left alone or stripped back. I think they took this one in the wrong direction.

I had to vote 'other': it's growing on me. I wrote on the Moz on Wossy thread that I didn't like the new version, that it suffered from the heavier rock sound and needed a more subtle, defter touch. But I've now heard it four times and am coming more to terms with it.

Still don't think it will ever match the original but, then, most other songs in the world, with the exception of other Smiths/Moz songs, will never match it either.

Vocals have been superb. Punk concept is fine (nothing is that sacred -- we always have the original). Execution is just OK. If they keep doing it over the tour it should improve...should.

Mmmm. Usually on tour the band is tight and they reproduce the sound consistently from venue to venue. A "punkier" sound, I think, is looser, with a bit of space for improvisation.

But even with a rougher sound the keyboards need to complement, not distract from, the rest of the band (thinking of the Radio 2 gig).

quite possibly my favorite solo version of a Smiths tune. amazing that he resurrected crap like Death Of A Disco Dancer before getting around to this...

Boz's rearranging of the music gives it a whole new life, much like the Peel session. i think the 3 mixes (i'm not counting all the slightly different NY/London/whatever mixes) are all equally valid

I think it is good, glad he hasn't tried to cover himself as a 24 year old.

The older version has a sound that sounded natural then, but would sound forced if he tried to recreate it now.

I like it a lot. I wasn't sure when I first heard it as I was completely thrown, but isn't that a good thing? Even when Johnny played this live it sounded slightly threadbare when compared to the studio version. This is new and fresh and it suits Morrissey's voice at this moment in time. I think its raw and brave and it might have sounded a bit too twee if Tobias and Boorer tried to play it note for note.

Like I said earlier, I think Morrissey sounds great. The vocal melody is lovely. The music is radically different from the Smiths version but, I believe, well suited to their current sound and an interesting revision of a classic song.

Moz's version of Hand in Glove circa 2002 was an absolute triumph played to a tee. The bass was spot on and the whole thing matched the original. This new version of TCM is beyond a joke. The difference between 2002 and 2009 is the band. Simple.

I love it, the vocals sound great and I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to get crushed against the barrier during that song. :p I wish the intro was a little bit closer to the original though. Having said that, I can't get enough of the new take on 'A jumped-up pantry boy...' bit, I prefer that bit to the original, dare I say it. :lbf:

I've watched the J. Ross clip quite a few times, and this TCM persuades, but it does not convince.

I've always liked my music very, very hard (punk often wasn't nasty enough). Still, TCM has a delicacy that does not suit slashing away at the guitars and rushing the beat. I'd normally be the first to welcome an overdriven, aggressive sound, but something's just not quite right about it.

TCM is such a masterpiece, and I appreciate Morrissey's attempt to fit it in the set. The band did a great job with Still Ill, so I hope they take the time to get this one right.

That said, his vocals are just miraculous; I can't get over how good he sounds.

LOVE IT! Of course it was going to sound different, Moz circa 2009 does not just have 1 guitar, 1 bass and 1 drum kit behind him.

Back
Top Bottom