What does everyone think of the new songs?

Have listened to the new songs a fair few times since Monday by now.
Here is my 'chart' (so far):

1. Home Is A Question Mark - a really solid Morrissey song, reminiscent of his mid 90s material
2. I Wish You Lonely - very good
3. Jacky - just ok at the moment, though I sense it will grow on me
4. When You Open Your Legs - ditto
5. Spent The Day In Bed - not my cup of tea, HATE that keyboard (though I admit it's a catchy song overall)
6. All The Young People - awful, there is just no excuse for this song

Based on what we have heard so far, I believe Low In High School will be a better album than World Peace, which pleases me no end.

Agreed, Home Is.. deffo has a 1997 maladjusted/alma matters ring to it (especially the chorus).

After listening to the new songs I'll say I'm really interested in the track listing and how the albums gonna flow. Also after all the young people and the keyboard on spent the day what other surprises might lay in wait. Are hearing the song I wouldn't have guessed home is would be track four

I'm simply whelmed. Neither over- or underwhelmed. It was about what I expected from Morrissey in 2017 following in the wake of World Peace Is None Of Your Business. My ear prefers "I Wish You Lonely" and "Home Is A Question Mark" (albeit less the BELLS). The latter makes me exceptionally curious to hear Mando's other composition, as there is a sweet tone to the latter that is redolent of Alain Whyte's slower, softer compositions. Whereas "When You Open Your Legs" makes me quite glad that there is only one other Jesse Tobias composition. It feels like a concatenation of "Earth Is The Loneliest Planet" and "When Last I Spoke To Carol" - as such, it is the median between the dire and grand. Boz, as usual, provides variety, but "All The Young People" tries too hard to be a knees-up singalong. For me, a barroom piano is a bridge too far in a Morrissey song. Let's leave that for Bob Seger, thanks.

Does anyone else feel, lyrically, that "Jacky..." is essentially "Girl Least Likely To" with amateur dramatics substituting for poetry?
I'm half wondering if Jacky is a diss track aimed at Kristeen Young and the well known beer and bathroom breaks she inspired in Morrissey's fanbase.

Who the f***'s Jackie and why should I care about her?

My first thought when I heard the lyrics was that it might be Autobiographical. But maybe that's just a lazy comparison.

Isn't his sister called Jacqueline?

Last edited:
I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts despite the fact that I haven't heard a single note.
Is anyone else out there trying to hold out until Nov. 17? I know it's odd (and difficult) but I want to take all the songs in at once

I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts despite the fact that I haven't heard a single note.
Is anyone else out there trying to hold out until Nov. 17? I know it's odd (and difficult) but I want to take all the songs in at once

Why hold out, you could be dead before the 17th, Get them listened to

When You Open Your Legs it's the one that's stuck in my head, to me they are all good songs, but I have the impression the album versions are going to be better -wich will make these songs great-
In my opinion Spent The Day In Bed is more liked by non-fans, like my friends, for instance, they're not Morrissey fans but love STDIB, and my little sister - not a fan either- can't stop singing the chorus and the part of´no train, no rain, blah, blah, blah, (she's starting to be annoying)
I'm 100% sure the album's gonna be great

This is his last album and tour and it is about time he called it a day.

I'm half wondering if Jacky is a diss track aimed at Kristeen Young and the well known beer and bathroom breaks she inspired in Morrissey's fanbase.

Now she's gone, we just wait till 'Meat is Murder' to leave for a piss and a pint.

Now she's gone, we just wait till 'Meat is Murder' to leave for a piss and a pint.
I do that before the show. I know when I hear Lipsynka I'd better move it. But yes, MIM definitely inspires the same exodus as Kristeen Young's impassioned caterwauling.

'GordyBoy9' isn't the name on your birth certificate, so you are just as anonymous as anyone posting without some made up user name. Your opinion is just as valid or worthless as the next poster.
Wrong

I love your optimism but sadly cannot share it. I will definitely still be around when he releases his album.

And if a double decker bus, crashes into youuu, (before the 17th), what will you do...

After "Spent the day in bed" we can look forward to more observations from his future care home. Songs like:

"Guess the colour in my stool today"

"A rush and a push and I sat down for lunch first"

"Who is smelling the most today (probably the dead body in 21C"

"Miserable troubadour performing my songs, shoot me now"

Please fill in (or not).

We think that the new songs sound old.

The taco bell singer was the highlight, muchos nachos or nada enchilada.

Has anyone deciphered the lyric to Home Is a Question Mark?

It sounds to me like the says: "I have been brave / in every shaven cave"? But surely not!

Then at then end he says, "How many times I've..." but what does he say then?

Has anyone deciphered the lyric to Home Is a Question Mark?

It sounds to me like the says: "I have been brave / in every shaven cave"? But surely not!

Then at then end he says, "How many times I've..." but what does he say then?

I know mines not right but I heard "deep in every shade of grey"

when you open your legs is very catchy,though its not a song to sing in the corridor of my school,teachers will have me punted out the door before bell,morrissey or job morrissey or job,without job no cash for Morrissey.job it is.

Firstly as a fan of some decades it is my experience that it's really difficult to gauge the quality of Morrissey's new tracks when first listening to them live. I especially remember hearing Pashernate Love live and thinking it wasn't great and then coming to love it when it came out. I also felt that way when they started playing World Peace at concerts only to come to love it so much on the album version. So with that caveat out of the way, I'm super enjoying ALL the tracks I've heard this time around. Musically there are so many 'nooks and crannies' on each of these tracks with some really great sing-along choruses that once cleaned up on the studio versions means this (for me) has the makings of a truly great album. It feels very much like a continuation of World Peace, so if you loved that album like I did then I think you're gonna like this one. If you hated World Peace I suspect this will feel like more of the same.

All The Young People for me is my fav so far and I think would make a fantastic single and I'm super high on Home is A Question Mark, but I'm pretty much digging everything.

Back
Top Bottom