What does the end of 'Autobiography' mean?

SweetnTenderYorkshireman

I know its not topical, but I have always wondered about the end of 'Autobiography', and now after my partner has raised the same query I wondered if anyone on here has a answer.

Why does he ignore the girl?
Is it a fan and is Moz being the same as Bolan was to him as a young boy?
Is it despite all his adoration from fabs, is he still painfully shy, and the darkness give him opportunity to avoid interaction?

Who knows? Not me!

Attachments

• IMG_5151.JPG
    IMG_5151.JPG
    973.7 KB · Views: 0
sounds like a frank "that's life/i am what i am" admittance that hes lost touch with his younger self

'admittance that hes lost touch with his younger self' ? I don't read that. I read that he can't escape his younger self which is still his present self ( I, a small boy of 52) and the same self that has for better or for worse (or both?) brought him to that point.

the line about the fan, and turning away? I read that as .. loved by many but not being able to receive love at all, and a kind of acceptance that that is what he is and so be it. A defeat and a glory rolled into one.

tomorrow, I may read it a different way. :)

'admittance that hes lost touch with his younger self' ? I don't read that. I read that he can't escape his younger self which is still his present self ( I, a small boy of 52) and the same self that has for better or for worse (or both?) brought him to that point.

the line about the fan, and turning away? I read that as .. loved by many but not being able to receive love at all, and a kind of acceptance that that is what he is and so be it. A defeat and a glory rolled into one.

tomorrow, I may read it a different way. :)

that's very insightful. Thanks for posting, Ketamine Sun.

It's his mother. Like the message of Southpaw, the voice right at the end of it, and the voice calling 'Stephen' in the extended version of Will Never Marry. His mother - an ever present presence.

I agree with ketamine. I think he's saying that despite who he is onstage, a man who loves to hear his fans voices in mass sing along, in reality he's still the same person he was as a young man with the same issues. The same person described in the beginning of the book and that the lone voice of a fan looking for a one on one conversation brings on different old familiar feelings that have always plagued him

It's his mother. Like the message of Southpaw, the voice right at the end of it, and the voice calling 'Stephen' in the extended version of Will Never Marry. His mother - an ever present presence.

You do not know this.

Tags
autobiography
Back
Top Bottom