What in your opinion is the darkest Morrissey song?

Fek reckon it's a cover, but a dark sad drunk version of Redondo Beach that Uncle Steve and Chrissie Hynde sang together on December 15, 2014 at the Cat and Fiddle. It was the Cat and Fiddle's last day and there wasn't a dry eye. I me reckon there were people recording on their cel phones that wouldn't be caught dead on So-Low, but I reckon the recording will never see the light of day mate inn nn n n nn n n it.

My life is an endless succession of people saying goodbye

...and looking back, we will forgive. We had no choice, we always did. (There is a place, original version)

Seasick Yet Still Docked. There's such a weight to that song. It's beautiful, but it's also a pocket full of rocks and a slow walk out into a deep river.

Inclined to agree with Famous, insofar as “Sorrow Will Come...” being one of the nastiest

I’ve always found “Lifeguard Sleeping...” to be pretty dark; and I think there’s a political argument to be had that Steven’s newfound love of Israel on the latest record constitutes something dark...

I think “I’ve Changed My Plea...” is dark too. But in a sad way.

So many, it's hard to choose. 'I'd Love To' initially springs to mind if we're only concentrating on solo songs.

What in your opinion is the darkest Morrissey song?

For me it has to be Spring-Heeled Jim that song oozes with darkness, something about that opening creates a sense of dread and the lyrics really paint a vulgar picture of the Jim character. I think it is also one of his best songs.

Smiler with knife and The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils are also up there for me

and the song Southpaw Grammer, but I’m thinking you mean his most sinister.

Asleep. It almost feels invasive to listen because the vocal is so bleak: heightened by the whistling wind and the simple waltzing piano. Also I Know It's Over, for its sheer gut-wrenching confessional and the 'Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head' outro. And Suffer Little Children, for the subject matter. Unless you grew up in the UK at that time, it's probably hard to comprehend how much those murders still cast a shadow even now. I think he's had his dark solo moments, but it does seem to me the Smiths stuff was more intense.

Last edited:
In response to anonymous and “Last Night I Dreamt”:

I don’t know how many times I listened to just this song as a young queer kid living in an unwashed armpit of a backwater in the 90s. How long before the right one - or anyone - was a question I asked myself daily. I still believe that the utter bleakness of this song provided much needed help when there was no other help. By the time I heard it I’d already survived some suicide attempts.

When I first heard this song live - it was the encore at Club Rio in Tempe, Arizona in 1999 - I lost what control I had left over my emotions at that point. It felt neither good or bad. I would say I felt relief then, except that I was so entirely overwhelmed. The only reason I could stay upright was that I was packed in so tightly near the front right. This may be what the religious fanatic experiences when she gives herself over. Or when the psychonaut reaches an inexplicably pure condition where the sounds and sights are so perfect that they cannot be understood or communicated. The story is old. I know because it was nineteen years ago today.

Last edited:
A lot of his songs about either his desire for love or death are common themes from Romanticism. I thought, although many disagree, the Smiths song about the Moors murder victims unbelievably insensitive. Personally I don't find his solo work that dark. A lot of his Smith songs which alluded to abuse were dark. Ie. Headmaster and ring around fountain.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. That song is his best IMO as well. Once I heard that I was hooked for life.

Somebody will probably correct me but WIW was the first recorded Smith's song never to be played live.

I thought, although many disagree, the Smiths song about the Moors murder victims unbelievably insensitive

I've often felt uncomfortable with it too. Not just the subject matter, but the naming. "John, you'll never be a man and you'll never see your home again", and things like that. It just doesn't sit right with me. He did eventually befriend Ann West, though, and explained himself and apparently made amends. For what it's worth, I didn't like his comments about the case in Autobiog, either. Insensitive to the Bennett family.

Back
Top Bottom