What interview is this from?

That's not what I meant to imply. They have spoken, reconciled and fallen out again many times over the years. I always get a sense, when I've read about it (their pub meets or driving around) that they reminisce when they are together but avoid discussing the split. Then, when journalists mention it, one or the other will say something catty and the gulf opens up again. I think it's sad to see Johnny saying they aren't friends or Morrissey comparing the Smiths to Bowie's Laughing Gnome. They had a great connection once and I think there are a lot of things unresolved.
Yes - I've often thought that Marr is mercurial when it comes to Moz and The Smiths. Sometimes he embraces his legacy and seems hugely proud of it; at other times, a fan or journalist seems to touch a sore point and he can be quite sharp or dismissive.

I wonder what happened, or if it was just the split itself now that has become bad for them? I recall a quote of Marr saying that they will always have some connection, but they seem to have had a very close relationship, and for them to say things like they no longer care about eachother or to dismiss it is sort of crazy

I wonder what happened, or if it was just the split itself now that has become bad for them? I recall a quote of Marr saying that they will always have some connection, but they seem to have had a very close relationship, and for them to say things like they no longer care about eachother or to dismiss it is sort of crazy

eh he said it himself that they are very different to begin with. lots of people grow apart and move on with there lives. most people arent still friends with the people they were friends with in there early twenties and i think that often there relationship gets over stated. its easy to get caught up in and have your friendship caught up in the glamor and excitment of what there band went through. once thats over and the animosity of the bands split faded maybe a casual relationship is the expected route. like meeting a friend from college you go to your oold haunt and talk about old times but really youve both moved on and grow into different people. even if they did get back together to tour or write i dont think it would be because of friendship

eh he said it himself that they are very different to begin with. lots of people grow apart and move on with there lives. most people arent still friends with the people they were friends with in there early twenties and i think that often there relationship gets over stated. its easy to get caught up in and have your friendship caught up in the glamor and excitment of what there band went through. once thats over and the animosity of the bands split faded maybe a casual relationship is the expected route. like meeting a friend from college you go to your oold haunt and talk about old times but really youve both moved on and grow into different people. even if they did get back together to tour or write i dont think it would be because of friendship

Agreed, they always were very different as people. However, if you've read Marr's book, friendship is very important to him in his musical endeavors. He's said of the Smiths, when the friendship was over, the band was done. I don't think he and Morrissey are ever going to be friendly in that close way again and consequently, there most likely won't be a situation where they will play or write together again.

I reckon The California Son used The Oregon Son to launch his solo career so he could move back home to Moz Angeles. That is why there will NEVER be a Smiths "reunion" especially since The California Son schooled The Oregon son in the Nike one on one over 50 basketball tournament on Venice Beach 5 years ago. Can't you delusional loonies see how much The California Son hates Brittin and other foreigners?? Wake up! in nnn nn n nnn nnnn n nn nn din't n n n it ye do ya know whatta mean chipper curry

Agreed, they always were very different as people. However, if you've read Marr's book, friendship is very important to him in his musical endeavors. He's said of the Smiths, when the friendship was over, the band was done. I don't think he and Morrissey are ever going to be friendly in that close way again and consequently, there most likely won't be a situation where they will play or write together again.

Perhaps true but he’s played with lots of people. Was he really good friends with modest mouse. Funny about he friendship with the smiths as he talks in this interview about how there relationship was all business at the start and how this was a good thing. I don’t think they’ll ever get back together in that way though. Morrissey seems done with it in so many ways and despite marr trying to get him back for that tour or whatever his last album was his best and he seems happy doing his thing

I agree with all of you, I honestly think a reunion musically would be disastorous and honestly hope it never happens (it wouldn't be genuine), but we will always speculate on the reasons why, or how it all played out. I think Simon Goddard in "Mozipedia" gives a good description of how things went down.

Perhaps true but he’s played with lots of people. Was he really good friends with modest mouse. Funny about he friendship with the smiths as he talks in this interview about how there relationship was all business at the start and how this was a good thing. I don’t think they’ll ever get back together in that way though. Morrissey seems done with it in so many ways and despite marr trying to get him back for that tour or whatever his last album was his best and he seems happy doing his thing

Yes, he was really good friends with Modest Mouse. He said everyone in the band was an artist and he loved playing with them. But after the album they went on a years-long hiatus and Johnny likes to keep moving. He's gone back and played with almost everyone again: Chrissie Hynde, Bernard Sumner, Matt Johnson, the Cribs, Bryan Ferry, Andy Rourke, just not Morrissey or Mike Joyce. And agreed, probably better off that way.

the audio from the quote features in this video

around the 7minute 30 second mark

That video says it all. Unresolved arguments, unfinished business.

Oh and this.

Yes - I've often thought that Marr is mercurial when it comes to Moz and The Smiths. Sometimes he embraces his legacy and seems hugely proud of it; at other times, a fan or journalist seems to touch a sore point and he can be quite sharp or dismissive.

But Morrissey hasn't done much better in that regard. I seem to remember an interview not so long ago where he said that the Smiths catalogue was really beautiful, but that he could not relate to the songs anymore. Something along these lines because I have forgotten the exact wording. t filled me with sadness. I can understand that, perhaps, he was just referring to the lyrics of the songs and how he lost the connection with those words. He certainly is a different person today. But it won't change the way I feel.

Back
Top Bottom