What is your favorite & least fave on Queen is Dead? New podcast ranks 'em

geezer

What's your most and least favorite song on The Queen is Dead? Brand new podcast ranks all the songs from awful to awfully good. Can't wait to see what YOUR picks are. http://www.WeWillRankYou.com or wherever you listen to fine podcasts.
smiths parody.jpg

I'm changing my favorite to Bigmouth Strikes Again

It's almost impossible to pick the best track on that record but I think "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" is probably mine. There is no worst track.

This is really easy for me: "I Know It's Over" is the best (so good I can't actually listen to it, it just lives in my head) and "Never Had No One Ever" is the worst (by a mile, as every other song is brilliant).

I didnt initially take to I Know It's Over but it was a grower and it's my favourite now. Vicar In A Tutu disappointed me, not because it's a particularly awful song, but because it sounds so flimsy compared to the brilliant live Whistle Test version. Where did Johnny's guitar disappear to? And Morrissey's singing at the end is nowhere near as effective as the live version. I also much prefer the live b side version of Stretch Out And Wait to the brittle studio version.

TIALTNGO is perhaps the greatest song ever written. Regarding least favorite, I’ve never been that keen on FMS.

Fave - The Queen is Dead
Least - it’s a tough one but, Shankly !

its an impossible task,the truth hates there is a light but gregor samsa loves there is a light.if it was a crap album there would be a turkey in there somewhere but queen is such a strong album it would be hard to find a dud.

Favourite: Bigmouth Strikes Again

Least favourite: The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

I don't know why, but I don't enjoy listening to the album version of The Boy anymore. Something in the guitar sound and melody bothers me a lot. It's not a bad song of course. It's a great song, like every Smiths song.

Best: 'Never Had No One Ever'. Not sure why this one gets slagged off so much, and expect it to come bottom in the poll. Personally, whilst I get it's not the most immediate track, I've found it a real grower over the years, and one I never get tired of. Super atmospheric, moody and dark, in a delicious way. [10 out of 10.]

Worst: 'Bigmouth Strikes Again'. Obviously, it's still great, but I've got to pick something, and this is probably the one I love the least right now. It's bursting with energy, has great lyrics and riffs...but there is something about it that is slightly one dimensional, and for all the frantic stuff on top, at it's heart this is the same series of chords repeated over and over, with the same plodding piano stab on top. [9.999999 out of 10]

its an impossible task,the truth hates there is a light but gregor samsa loves there is a light.if it was a crap album there would be a turkey in there somewhere but queen is such a strong album it would be hard to find a dud.
No I love it, too. I didn't write it clearly. That only thing it has against it is that it's been played so much but I still like hearing it.

Best: 'Never Had No One Ever'. Not sure why this one gets slagged off so much, and expect it to come bottom in the poll. Personally, whilst I get it's not the most immediate track, I've found it a real grower over the years, and one I never get tired of. Super atmospheric, moody and dark, in a delicious way. [10 out of 10.]

The demo with the trumpet and the laughter is so great and haunting. Love that.

Yeah, to me it’s beyond weird that NHNOE gets so much flack. I mean, what’s not to like?

Yeah, to me it’s beyond weird that NHNOE gets so much flack. I mean, what’s not to like?
The problem I have with it is that it's a song that doesn't really go anywhere harmonically or lyrically. It's done by 2:00 yet hangs around for another minute and a half, not going anywhere. It also has the misfortune to be sandwiched between two songs of epic greatness.

The problem I have with it is that it's a song that doesn't really go anywhere harmonically or lyrically. It's done by 2:00 yet hangs around for another minute and a half, not going anywhere. It also has the misfortune to be sandwiched between two songs of epic greatness.
I see what you mean, and I’m usually well irked by songs outstaying their welcome (solo Moz has tons), but in this instance it works. For me, it creates atmosphere. I look at this entire song as a mood piece more than anything.

rank the songs on TQID?

They’re all ....

awful !

awful !

awful !

I mean ... awfully

good!

:cool:

No I love it, too. I didn't write it clearly. That only thing it has against it is that it's been played so much but I still like hearing it.
my fault truth,just saw the words worst and track and jumped to a wrong conclusion.

The problem with never had no one ever is that it finishes the job of breaking the tempo/ pace/ and momentum of the album

Back
Top Bottom