What Morrissey album would you use to introduce someone to his work?

Fiona

Love Morrissey ♥
I have a relative (my brother-in-law) who is intrigued by Morrissey but knows little about his music, other than a couple of songs. He has asked me to loan him an album, to see if he likes the sound of him enough to purchase some of his work. I love the idea of spreading the Morrissey love ;)

What album would you use to introduce someone to Morrissey? Because it's my favourite, I'm tempted to go with Quarry, but I'm not quite sure.

probably bona drag juut because it has a nice quality and it still retains more of the humor along with the serious which i think quarry lacks a bit in his older age. its also a nice mixed bag of songs though it does lack some of the "rock" qualities that quarry posses which i love to death. word peace would be my second choice i think with quarry and arsenal coming in tied for third

Thanks for your replies everyone. It has crossed my mind to cheat and burn my own "designer" Morrissey album onto a blank disc. I will give it some more thought.

I think if we're talking solo Morrissey probably Viva Hate or Bona Drag. I don't think his other albums, even the ones considered to be amongst his best, are probably as good for initiating the uninitiated.

If we are allowed to include The Smiths, I think probably Hatful of Hallow or the Queen is Dead--depending on the person's musical proclivities.

If you think he'll like the more pop side "the best of suedehead" but if you credit you credit your in law with an ear "my early burglary years" is condensed pure Morrissey.

I once gave a good chum, my copy of Southpaw Grammar. He was a Smiths fan, but had never heard any Morrissey solo. I foolishly thought I had best give him a harder rock sounding album - he returned it a week later, telling me it was possibly the biggest pile of shit he had ever heard.

Now, many would blame Southpaw itself - though the lesson I had learnt was - do not EVER introduce friends to Morrissey!

'viva hate', absolutely.

start from the beginning, you say he is intrigued :)

p.s. as a bonus, make your own 'best of 'the smiths" :)

I'd go with Your Arsenal because it's perfect and it's got balls to spare.

But it depends what kind of stuff he's in to to begin with.

I used to want to "spread the music" but I don't really try anymore because I guess you have to appreciate greatness for yourself and if you don't have an open mind or the patience to really listen it's hard to do. After all most people are content with the current wave of pop and don't search out anything much beyond that.

I think the key with "real" music is to assure the person that if you're gonna give it a listen you have to be patient and not make any snap judgments.

For example my aunt who was always a big U2 fan was convinced that U2 could never make a great record again and was resigned to the fact that their new record wouldn't be any good and after a quick skim through she concluded that it was mediocre and "all the songs sound the same" (she also said this about Your Arsenal on one occasion after a quick listen) and after a while with more listens and giving the songs a real chance she ended up liking every song on Songs of Innocence and in fact loving some of the songs and thinking it was a great record after all. These things take time.

Not to get technical but as humans we have to deal with sensory overload and you can't expect them to hear a couple songs once and conclude that Morrissey is God. It's not physically possible to absorb everything all at once. They've got to be willing to give him a real listen. After one listen you only take in so much and by the fifth, sixth, two hundredth listen you'll have picked up on so much more of the subtleties. So the bottom line is it's tough to suggest any one song or record to blow them away and convert them but good luck!

Last edited:
If he's legit intrigued though I'd totally suggest maybe letting him look through the albums and choosing something that jumps out at him.

For me sometimes a cover can draw me in. The cover for Kill Uncle alone makes me want to hear the album even though it's not my favourite.

I once gave a good chum, my copy of Southpaw Grammar. He was a Smiths fan, but had never heard any Morrissey solo. I foolishly thought I had best give him a harder rock sounding album - he returned it a week later, telling me it was possibly the biggest pile of shit he had ever heard.

Now, many would blame Southpaw itself - though the lesson I had learnt was - do not EVER introduce friends to Morrissey!

thats kinda why i go with bona drag derek, its stylistically varied and shows many sides of moz. cruncy diasapointed, the angular lyrically brilliant november spawned a monster, some beautiful acoustic with some objective playful pop of international playboys as well.

gotta say id blame south paw. as a fan of rock from gram parsons to slipknot i hate that album and can barely listen to it. i like to pretend it doesnt exist

Yeah, i'd go with Bona Drag. The mix is perfect and with songs like Suedehead and Everyday that'll probably lead your brother in law onto Viva Hate...then the journey begins

"Your Arsenal" created a new fan...who also happens to be an older Francsican priest.

Can't hurt as a starter.

Thanks for your replies. My indecision is a pain. I'm thinking of going with the mix CD, and after that, if they're tantalised enough, throwing them Quarry. After all, if they don't end up liking Quarry, there is no hope anyway. That album is pure magic.

The mix CD will allow some gems from Your Arsenal and Viva Hate. It's got to be a good start.

Back
Top Bottom