What Morrissey song do you think most resembles The Smiths?

Out of the solo albums 'Vauxhall' seems the most Smithsy to me, Billy Budd seems to have a touch of Johnny Marr about it, and I remember when the album came out there were some rumours that JM had in fact played on it. I think On The Streets I Ran has got a bit of a Smiths vibe as well.

The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get

I discovered Smiths / Moz in 1997, and while still not being familiar with all of albums by both, I heard that song on the radio. Recognized the voice momentaly of course, but was convinced that it was The Smiths.

Soon I found out that Moz is solo to blame for that beautiful song... But still whenever I listen it feels like them...

Last edited:
Reggie Kray said:
everyday is like sundae

The bass and guitars are far too simple on that track to be JMs. Anyone could learn them in a day.

I agree with sister, I'm a poet. Also, Angel Angel...

"Girl Least Likely To" (cowritten w/ Andy Rourke!) and, to lesser extent, "He Knows I'd Love to See Him".

I think Dear God Please Help Me could have been. But what the hell do I know?!?

zom

I always thought Swallow on My Neck was very Smithsian, thematically and musically. I liked hearing it live on the Oye tour.

I have always thought "I am hated for loving" from Vauxhall and I could easily be a Smiths song. Close your eyes and imagine hearing it now....listen to the way it jangles along beautifully... it's almost as if Johnny has sneaked unannounced into the studio to do a secret collaboration....sigh

TT

Sir Alec said:
The bass and guitars are far too simple on that track to be JMs. Anyone could learn them in a day.

yeah that is true...

i dunno, i guess i figured that track could be since it was done right after the break up...

Here is a long list of songs that have a certain Smiths vibe to me IMHO:

Sister I'm a Poet
Hairdresser on Fire (but to me, it sounds more like where the Smiths could've gone if they stayed together, not so much like what they managed to release in their 5 years together)
Suedehead
I Don't Mind if You Forget Me
Girl Least Likely To
Piccadilly Palare (to me it has a bit of a Strangeways vibe, so I could see something like this being produced by The Smiths if they'd stayed together like I think with Hairdresser)
You're the One for Me, Fatty
Billy Budd
The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get
The Operation (without the drum solo, which I love and could never bear to see removed though, it is standard Smiths to me)
Alma Matters
First of the Gang to Die
In the Future When All's Well
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me

EDIT: Now I agree with King Leer about A Swallow on My Neck (and Sunny also in my opinion) and Tottenham Tom about I Am Hated for Loving.

Disappointed
Suedehead
Bengali In Platforms
Margaret On The Guillotine
To Me You Are A Work Of Art
Piccadilly Palare

Back
Top Bottom