What Morrissey thinks of Korda Marshall at BMG

What Morrissey really thinks of Korda Marshall (and other amazing tributes) - Music Business Worldwide

Excerpt:

This was supposed to be a simple story telling you that Korda Marshall is winning the coveted A&R Icon gong at the A&R Awards in London next Wednesday (November 1), presented by MBW in association with Abbey Road Studios.

That’s very much still true – and we’re delighted that Korda is following in the footsteps of the brilliant Muff Winwood by collecting the prize at our sold-out ceremony.

People care about Korda. You only need to read the amazing tributes from the likes of alt-J, Muse’s Matt Bellamy, Max Lousada, Seymour Stein and many more below to know that.

He’s been a mentor, a friend and an inspiration to artists and executives alike throughout his 35 years in the UK record business.

But late last night, the original introduction to this humble news alert was stopped in its tracks, when MBW received an email from a source who – how can we put this? – hasn’t exactly been lavish in his praise about the record industry down the years.

He proceeded to tell us, in no uncertain terms, exactly what he thinks of Korda.

Here is that email.

“It is an indisputable fact that most record company executives can barely walk on land, and need to be turned over every 30 minutes. Their success makes you worry for music. But Korda strikes fire because he loves music and he wants others to. He listens with every nerve alert, and for those of us who have too frequently cruised the bars looking for a new label, Korda is a relief and a blessing.

“His job is hard to do well, but easy to do badly. Korda does not view pop artists as marketing creations. Instead, his knowledge, smartness and structural ideas fully join every aspect – he frets about the undotted i. I’m glad he’s around in 2017 entertainment when so many people surprise us only by being able to talk.

“May Korda rule the waves and waive the rules for many years to come.”

MORRISSEY.

41082_korda_marshall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 'source' is someone you, I and a lot of people know. The conversation wasn't an outright admission, I was led down a path of 'yes' and 'no' questions before arriving at the answer with a nod from said person. I have no reason to believe they were lying.

Even if this was at all true, why would you be so interested in what others have or have not done in THEIR past?
Seems very puerile.

And why bring it up now?
Mmm...?

My 'source' is someone you, I and a lot of people know. The conversation wasn't an outright admission, I was led down a path of 'yes' and 'no' questions before arriving at the answer with a nod from said person. I have no reason to believe they were lying.

Even if this was all true,how sad that a bunch of(presumably) grown men were discussing the private lives of people they don't even know.

Never mind all this tosh. That Clash poster is out-f***ing-standing. For the Miners benefit at the Academy in xmas 1984 I believe. The "Arthur Scargill's Christmas Party" gig. Of course by that point Mick Jones had left so The Clash weren't really The Clash, but still, amazing poster.

What is really strange, it's that Boz doesnt make any publicity on his FB about the new release.
It's all about his lp, some gigs and the smiths rerelease.

What is really strange, it's that Boz doesnt make any publicity on his FB about the new release.
It's all about his lp, some gigs and the smiths rerelease.

I could be wrong, but I don't really remember him doing much about WPINOYB. Jesse posts about LIHS occasionally on instagram. Mando and Matt don't really. I'm not friends with Gustavo on Facebook.

Mr Boo was persuaded to come back to the fold and this will be his last push.

Look. Ultimately it's up to you what you choose to believe. No one else can change that. I am telling you what a person who knows told me, which tallies with what is written on that other forum. And by the way, it was not 'some stuff I heard in a pub', it was a pre-arranged meeting with someone while I visited London.

As I said before, you are free to disbelieve.

Hmm, thinking on this information - I'm reminded in Johnny Marr's book where he suddenly feels like an outsider in the Smiths. And Morrissey's new spokesman is Mike Joyce who tells Johnny they are going to do the Cilla Black song. Johnny describes the atmosphere as weird and tense. Could this relationship have been the cause? Read this section in Johnny's book in light of this new information and see what you think.

No it wasn't. He wasn't sacked. He walked. He was brought back, but it happened.
I don’t doubt that at all . Boz has betrayed Moz before and perhaps Moz only believed it this time - It’s obvious at least for me how B.B. has looked bored and has a sardonic smile to fans when his onstage . It wouldn’t be surprising either after so many years putting up with his boss ... I’ve also noticed as somebody else said the lack of interest from Boz and Lyn in social media , compared to the recent past tour.
However IWL it’s a great Boz collaboration.

Skinny, i heard the same story about 15 years ago. I bought some Smiths rarities from a guy who used to go round and play pool at Jonnys house and he claimed Jonny told him that. I cant remember his name but he wasn't one of the well known names associated with the smiths.

Hmm, thinking on this information - I'm reminded in Johnny Marr's book where he suddenly feels like an outsider in the Smiths. And Morrissey's new spokesman is Mike Joyce who tells Johnny they are going to do the Cilla Black song. Johnny describes the atmosphere as weird and tense. Could this relationship have been the cause? Read this section in Johnny's book in light of this new information and see what you think.

yes, i remember that part of Johnny's book. And thought it strange that Mike was appointed spokesperson, but then again... between the two, Mike seems more outgoing than Andy. And Morrissey wanted to avoid any confrontation with Marr. That's my take.

I don’t doubt that at all . Boz has betrayed Moz before and perhaps Moz only believed it this time - It’s obvious at least for me how B.B. has looked bored and has a sardonic smile to fans when his onstage . It wouldn’t be surprising either after so many years putting up with his boss ... I’ve also noticed as somebody else said the lack of interest from Boz and Lyn in social media , compared to the recent past tour.

"Boz has betrayed Moz before"? How?
And again, I don't see any remarkable difference between Boz on social media now and Boz on social media during WPINOYB. If anything, I've seen more from Lyn about this tour - than I remember seeing for WPINOYB - which has been shared by Boz.

Morrissey says anything and we get an interpretation that it's either all about money or that he's intentionally destroying his career and that we can look for that Smiths reunion any day which, ironically, would be all about money. But maybe if it's written ten thousand more times everyone will believe it.

Even though he knows Morrissey's opinions of him might not be the best, he's still fond of him.

"He's f****g great, I love him, Joyce laughed. "Regardless of the s**t that went on with the money, he's brilliant."

Wasn't it Joyce who ripped into Morrissey in court , saying all sorts of shit. Did any record of what Joyce said ever get leaked, it was meant to have been stricken from the record .

Also it kinda makes me think the fact the guy on Hatful of Hollow looked kinda like Joyce was no accident

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom