what to do with appr. 70 vinyl (60s+80s)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25370

just came back from my mother's who held a gun to my head and, after decades of trying in vain, made me climb into the attic today to unearth from under inches of dust and mould some of my and other people's old stuff. i drove home with roundabout 70 lps and maxi singles from the 60s and 80s among other things. i am neither nostalgic nor a collector and i prefer open space to clutter, so my question is what to do with it. i thought of going to the local second hand vinyl shop and make a donation. but then there are also some interesting looking lps among them, some stones, elvis, james brown, etc:
IMG_20181007_190855[3453].jpg
IMG_20181007_191809[2543].jpg

is there a quick method to sift the chaff from the wheat? what would you do?
thanks for your advice
IMG_20181007_184449[2542].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Without Googling I believe I see the Huey Lewis and the News album Fore! under the pile.

My suggestion would be to create three piles:

1. Sell
2. Keep
3. Burn

I see several that I would suggest #3. So that should narrow it down a bit. Then, I would listen to the others to see if maybe there is some interest there for yourself. If at the end, you aren't moved enough to keep anything, then selling them will be the right decision for you. Good luck!

PS. Love the cat!

Last edited:
:blushing: the huey lewis lp must've belonged to a cousin of mine...:paranoid:

evennow, your suggestion sounds very reasonable. i just found out that my neighbors have got a record player. pile #3 will be nicely wrapped and then quietly put down in front of their door on christmas day.

:blushing: the huey lewis lp must've belonged to a cousin of mine...:paranoid:

evennow, your suggestion sounds very reasonable. i just found out that my neighbors have got a record player. pile #3 will be nicely wrapped and then quietly put down in front of their door on christmas day.

If you are suggesting including that Huey Lewis album in the wrapped package, I believe I would rather open my door to a flaming bag of dog poo! I can scrape the poo off my shoes, but some sounds can never be washed from the ears! :ahhh::D

If you are suggesting including that Huey Lewis album in the wrapped package, I believe I would rather open my door to a flaming bag of dog poo! I can scrape the poo off my shoes, but some sounds can never be washed from the ears! :ahhh::D
I was talking to friends about what song, if it were playing on the car stereo as you were driving and suddenly saw mushroom clouds envelop the horizon would send you into hysterical laughter as you embraced sudden approaching death- and mine was "If this is it" by Huey Lewis.

I would probably go through and pick out my guilty (and un-guilty) pleasures and donate the rest.

I was talking to friends about what song, if it were playing on the car stereo as you were driving and suddenly saw mushroom clouds envelop the horizon would send you into hysterical laughter as you embraced sudden approaching death- and mine was "If this is it" by Huey Lewis.

I would probably go through and pick out my guilty (and un-guilty) pleasures and donate the rest.

I'll give you this, but put on "Hip to be Square" and everyone better duck for cover. :gun:

My dad tortured me with his music while trapped in his car when driving me around when I visited. I would have called child protective services, but I was in college at the time so it wouldn't have done any good.

I'll give you this, but put on "Hip to be Square" and everyone better duck for cover. :gun:

My dad tortured me with his music while trapped in his car when driving me around when I visited. I would have called child protective services, but I was in college at the time so it wouldn't have done any good.
I was subjected to an awful lot of Journey, Brian Adams, John Cougar Melonhead, Tom Petty, and stuff like that in the car.
Not heavy enough to rock out to, but not soft enough to ignore. Journey does give me the nostalgias though, I'll admit.

thanks for the constructive suggestions, folks.
there was a guilty pleasures thread by quando where people were postin for months without end, in s/m- fashion, videos of the unspeakable dread that the past often is. morrissey in striking contrast was and is one of the few able to lyrically transform the squalor of the times and thus make it bearable again.
in the meantime i was wasting some valuable life time on discogs and am going to go to the local second hand vinyl shop today, only to see whether they are trustworthy people. if they are not, i am going to donate all these vinyls to them without a blink of an eye. just to make a positive difference for once and remember the moment with relaxed jollity when lying on my death bed, reminiscing

update: took 12 vinyls to the 2nd hand vinyl and book shop today. the guy who runs the shop meticulously checked each single one of them for scratches, etc., and, believe it or not, he made three piles on his counter. after 15 minutes of silent inspection he shoved two of the piles together and handed them back to me without a word. the third one which consisted of four albums he was willing to buy. he looked at me as if he was doing me a great favor and that i should be very thankful for his kindness. he offered me € 3 for all four. i agreed humbly and ashamed. later i went to the drugstore and bought a shampoo for the money. at home i met my neighbor in the hallway and pushed the other eight lps into her arms which she accepted in a cautiously enthusiastic way.

planning my second trip to the vinyl shop. the proclaimers album i value very highly because it made and still makes my blood flow faster through my veins on a day like today. there is a special kind of anger which they express through their music, the young man who refuses to be called a boy, or the tiny but proud country which refuses to be part of a bigger conglomerate. you wont be able to find this sort of anger in a punk band and of course not any of their skilful melodiousness
IMG_20181009_155554[3728].jpg

i bought this in mc'r in the mid 90s bc for the above mentioned reasons and bc my landlady had a record player. "throw the 'r' away" was my hymn for many weeks as i had trouble understanding mancunians and they never understood me, but when i went to scotland by train one day and in glasgow asked for a ticket to crianlarich, i was suddenly understood perfectly, the ticket agent even telling me i sounded like a true scots woman. so i went up to the north of scotland with the lightest of hearts, already feeling at home.

this one here is also one of my favs on the album. dont know why but i always feel empowered after having listened to it.

i am pretty nostalgic about this album all of a sudden and won't give it away even though it is of course important to let things go. but there are still 60+ albums waiting to be disposed of and giving me nothing but greasy fingers

Last edited by a moderator:
planning my second trip to the vinyl shop. the proclaimers album i value very highly because it made and still makes my blood flow faster through my veins on a day like today. there is a special kind of anger which they express through their music, the young man who refuses to be called a boy, or the tiny but proud country which refuses to be part of a bigger conglomerate. you wont be able to find this sort of anger in a punk band and of course not any of their skilful melodiousness
View attachment 46017
i bought this in mc'r in the mid 90s bc for the above mentioned reasons and bc my landlady had a record player. "throw the 'r' away" was my hymn for many weeks as i had trouble understanding mancunians and they never understood me, but when i went to scotland by train one day and in glasgow asked for a ticket to crianlarich, i was suddenly understood perfectly, the ticket agent even telling me i sounded like a true scots woman. so i went up to the north of scotland with the lightest of hearts, already feeling at home.

this one here is also one of my favs on the album. dont know why but i always feel empowered after having listened to it.

i am pretty nostalgic about this album all of a sudden and won't give it away even though it is of course important to let things go. but there are still 60+ albums waiting to be disposed of and giving me nothing but greasy fingers

Had no idea they were in any way political and that someone out there was able to take them seriously away from the fact they are complete nerds. The scottish anger is very strange for many reasons and the scots were always said to be people getting on with it but the fact of the matter is that they are easily triggered.
I use to love the scots but in recent years have found them to be people who should realise what a small place it is and how they perhaps don't have what it takes to demand more or at least precise what they want cause I doubt the english would die if they were not part of the UK.
I've also learned that irish and scots do have a lot of pikey blood in them and it is clear their gypsy heritage gets the beer of them. Their anger used to be fascinating but after ages of well behaved football fans as opposed to hooligans it seems the scottish have the same kind of attitude problem as the people in that other british colony USA.
Who'd have guessed someone as deep as you are into that lot?
They only had one song.

Mancs in the 90's didn't really like germans and I think they struggled to get to know locals there just like this two german lads I met with one of them being in a wheelchair. I could tell they appreciated someone wanting to spend some time with them and they both travelled the world and later that year went to Brazil to watch United in the stupid attempt at some new club tournament.
I always derail threads so sorry about that. As for the vinyl and that we live in a world where things are of almost no value anymore. I've stopped selling things and tend to throw them away instead to avoid the hassle of dealing with people who cannot make their mind up.
I doubt you should sell or get rid of them cause something tells me you'd regret it.

I wonder why the mancs did not understand you though but perhaps you need to speak the accent and become like them, I did only cause I always picked up accents and that real fast and if not for my looks some would not have believed I was from Sweden or so I was told.

Speaking to a hooligan in Bolton on the phone was hilarious cause it took me ages to convince him. I need to listen to the Proclaimers cause I love things with political controversy and a bit of irony and sarcasm thrown in. I seriously thought they were just simple entertainers but do know from an interview with them that they loved the humour of Morrissey saying most people don't get that from him.

I agree.

Had no idea they were in any way political and that someone out there was able to take them seriously away from the fact they are complete nerds. The scottish anger is very strange for many reasons and the scots were always said to be people getting on with it but the fact of the matter is that they are easily triggered.
I use to love the scots but in recent years have found them to be people who should realise what a small place it is and how they perhaps don't have what it takes to demand more or at least precise what they want cause I doubt the english would die if they were not part of the UK.
I've also learned that irish and scots do have a lot of pikey blood in them and it is clear their gypsy heritage gets the beer of them. Their anger used to be fascinating but after ages of well behaved football fans as opposed to hooligans it seems the scottish have the same kind of attitude problem as the people in that other british colony USA.
Who'd have guessed someone as deep as you are into that lot?
They only had one song.
LOL

Was that almost freudian?

Better was the word.

Mancs in the 90's didn't really like germans and I think they struggled to get to know locals there just like this two german lads I met with one of them being in a wheelchair. I could tell they appreciated someone wanting to spend some time with them and they both travelled the world and later that year went to Brazil to watch United in the stupid attempt at some new club tournament.
I always derail threads so sorry about that. As for the vinyl and that we live in a world where things are of almost no value anymore. I've stopped selling things and tend to throw them away instead to avoid the hassle of dealing with people who cannot make their mind up.
I doubt you should sell or get rid of them cause something tells me you'd regret it.

I wonder why the mancs did not understand you though but perhaps you need to speak the accent and become like them, I did only cause I always picked up accents and that real fast and if not for my looks some would not have believed I was from Sweden or so I was told.

Speaking to a hooligan in Bolton on the phone was hilarious cause it took me ages to convince him. I need to listen to the Proclaimers cause I love things with political controversy and a bit of irony and sarcasm thrown in. I seriously thought they were just simple entertainers but do know from an interview with them that they loved the humour of Morrissey saying most people don't get that from him.

I agree.

Is a mod playing around here or am I just too lazy and quick?

View attachment 46017

That’s a terrific album. I associate it with Swansea.

The answer, I would suggest, is to check on eBay to see what the albums you have are going for in good condition. That way at least you have some idea of potential value.

Pro tip: Under no circumstances check the value of the albums you sold for €3.

If it were me here I’d take the crap to a charity and take the tax write off. One in the pile looked like the back to the future soundtrack

That’s a terrific album. I associate it with Swansea.

The answer, I would suggest, is to check on eBay to see what the albums you have are going for in good condition. That way at least you have some idea of potential value.

Pro tip: Under no circumstances check the value of the albums you sold for €3.
great that you can appreciate it too. why do you associate it with swansea?

got another € 9 for 20 or so albums. the rest that the guy from the vinyl shop didnt want to take went straight to my neighbors without any further discussion. this included iggy pop and duran duran. i have now boiled it down to 11 albums, the proclaimers not included, as they are going to move to the attic again.
IMG_20181010_123114[3732].jpg

the rolling stones will stay too for some hazy nostalgic reasons. let's see if i can find a place for the remaining ten in the vinyl shop's album sanctuary.

Back
Top Bottom