what to do with appr. 70 vinyl (60s+80s)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
View attachment 46093
like the one above, the elvis album was kind of a "family record" that only the kids were still listening to. this was the first double album i came across and its size, when unfolded, impressed me quite a lot bc it was as big as i was then. 15 songs have a pencil tag bc when i listened to the record first i couldnt read, let alone in english, so i marked all the songs that i liked, to be able to find them later.
this one mustve left an impression:

the slow ballads like "love me tender" and "in the ghetto" were of no interest to me. i remember it took a few more years to develop a taste for them.
i also marked "wooden heart" bc whenever it was played, it sure would initiate, in routine repetition, parental comments on elvis' years as a gi in south germany. he had been deployed close to where my grandparents lived, and rumour had it that elvis mustve left his genetic imprint on the regions gene pool while staying there, everything else wouldve been unnatural. i liked the song so-so but my grandmother used to sway to it to and fro which was a real honor bc for her all the "american shit" like coca cola, chewing gum and the music her children were listening to wasnt of any value anyway.

View attachment 46094
2morrow elvis must go.

Those albums remind me of by best mate whose parents probably had the entire collection. They really produced some stunning albums and I remember this black one which looked like a real work of art with the cover and inside and everything.

i listened to this song by the proclaimers yesterday and it kinda spoke to me. but it left me with mixed emotions. i find the line "then despair was replaced by energy" a bit shilpit, like something you can read on a package information leaflet. i came to the conclusion that what speaks to me is mostly their in-your-face energy and honesty and not so much the lyrics which lack the catholic poetry and decorum of other singers and bands. a little bit more showing and less telling would be more engaging for my ears, but anyways, an interesting and likeable song.

They look so finnish instead of scottish I find. Like two tech guys from the outskirts of Helsinki who got bored of computers and telecom and started making music.
For women it tends to be some well paid big job within the state before they start writing crime novels that are turned into tv series.
Finnish men are not what they used to be.

the new record player is here. the cats love it. played the rest of the albums but not all of them sound well, especially not the proclaimers or the stones. the sound is nostalgic indeed. elvis is doing fine though, so is everything with a contralto voice and acoustic guitar.
IMG_20181209_085109[5107].jpg
the album is from 1971 and is called "you'll never walk alone". it's not a "best-of" thing which is a surprise. i'm pretty sure my dad bought or borrowed it as a christmas album somewhere in britain. it was never listened to much but he signed it at the back so i guess he took it to family christmas dinners to make these tedious gatherings more interesting and fun for him but wanted to take it back home again afterwards.
IMG_20181209_085207[5108].jpg

it's a fine alternative christmas album.

Last edited by a moderator:
:blushing: the huey lewis lp must've belonged to a cousin of mine...:paranoid:

evennow, your suggestion sounds very reasonable. i just found out that my neighbors have got a record player. pile #3 will be nicely wrapped and then quietly put down in front of their door on christmas day.

FORE! is a masterpiece.

I was subjected to an awful lot of Journey, Brian Adams, John Cougar Melonhead, Tom Petty, and stuff like that in the car.
Not heavy enough to rock out to, but not soft enough to ignore. Journey does give me the nostalgias though, I'll admit.

All of those artists are great.

not really happy with the nostalgic record player which i got last christmas. it's only advantage is that it's space-saving. strangely enough, it sometimes changes the speed while playing the record which seems to be a problem with the belt drive. anyways, i got a new record last week and as there is still youtube, i know how the songs should sound like
20190504_120836~2 - Kopie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom