What's a good "starter" cd for a teen?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4260
  • Start date
Get him 'The World Won't Listen'. Best Smiths compilation in my opinion, and an utterly fantastic cover featuring brooding German leatherboys.

On second thoughts, don't stress that bit.

P.S. The other inner sleeve picture of the four girls who look like The Smiths is hilarious. he might not get that bit, though.

Meat is Murder. I would not mind being the one his parents "blame" for the inevitable teenaged turn toward vegetarianism, but I don't want to be the one they complain to for bringing "Asleep" into his life.

--jeniphir

Was you a "13 year old angry and confused about his sexuality boy?":confused:

Get the kid a four pack of beers and a xxx DVD. He be the envy of the other boys.

Nice!

I'm telling you, don't do it! :D

seriously, it would be like me giving some kid an Aerosmith cassette and a bag of weed.

I have changed my mind on the Morrissey (not The Smiths) CD you should give him though. It should be "Beethoven Was Deaf".

if you must get The Smiths, get "Rank".

Ditch the Aerosmith cassette and you've got something...

I guess it's just different tastes. I like the energy of the live recording more than the perfection of the studio. Rank is in my top 3 Smiths and sometimes is my favorite.

I agree with you, Dave. "Rank" didn't mean much to me when it was released (which is to say, like every other Smiths album, its miraculous greatness was by then an expected commonplace) but over time it has grown on me and now it's among my most-often played albums. Because it was live, and such a powerful recording of the band's performance, it has an energy about it that much of the studio versions lack. It's so great I even think of "The Draize Train" as a good song.

it dont know if it was posted before here but here is a interesting thread : where somebody making a mixtape for a 13 year old girl with SMITHSsongs which could apply to a teenager:suggestions girl afraid sheila take a bow,accept yourself,ask...
but see for yourself in this thread
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=77090&highlight=fall+out

A MIXTAPE could be better than a album

posted by hooligan1975
August 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
Need suggestions for Smiths mix CD for 13 year old girl

Hi folks
My wife's friend's 13 year old daughter is getting into music and is into bands like Good Charlotte and Fall Out Boy - pop/emo bands that cite the Smiths as influences. I'm making a mix CD of Smiths songs for her.
I could use some suggestions for what songs would be best for a 13 year old girl in this situation. It's got to fit on a single CD. I want songs with lyrics that jump out and can connect with a 13 year old girl. For the record - I'm a 31 year old male and have been a Smiths fan since I was 18.

So far I've got...

Last edited:
I'm one present short for my brother this Christmas and instead of going out to buy some piece of crap or a gift card, I want to buy him a Smiths cd.

He's turning 13 and that was the same age that I got introduced to them.
(It's best to start him out at a Smiths level, rather than straight to Moz solo, I think.)
I planned on getting "Hatful of Hollow" because that's what I got started on, but I'm willing to listen to other opinions. Maybe "Louder Than Bombs" because there's some rockers on there vs the melancholy of Hatful.

What cd do you think would sound good to a 13 year old angry and confused about his sexuality boy?

I have to order on Amazon.com by Friday to make sure I get it before Chritmas!....stressfull............:eek:

The Smiths Best...1
The Smiths Best...2

ok..so two cds those are the cds i started with. then i moved to morrissey Beethoven and after that i forget. this was back in 1992 or so. why not get Vauxhall too right away. unless he's not worth three cds. which is understandable. no sibling ever is.

I could be a shit head sister and get Malajusted...hahaha

I agree - it's an excellent bootleg!

....must say, Rank is a freaking masterpiece. That stomping Bigmouth intro kicks arse.

I LOVE the Rank version of Vicar in a Tutu! the part where he says "my GOD!" during that song, just might be my favorite moment on that whole entire album.

I LOVE the Rank version of Vicar in a Tutu! the part where he says "my GOD!" during that song, just might be my favorite moment on that whole entire album.

I know the part you mean :D
The Still Ill intro kicks arse too.

it dont know if it was posted before here but here is a interesting thread : where somebody making a mixtape for a 13 year old girl with SMITHSsongs which could apply to a teenager:suggestions girl afraid sheila take a bow,accept yourself,ask...
but see for yourself in this thread
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=77090&highlight=fall+out

A MIXTAPE could be better than a album

posted by hooligan1975
August 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
Need suggestions for Smiths mix CD for 13 year old girl

Hi folks
My wife's friend's 13 year old daughter is getting into music and is into bands like Good Charlotte and Fall Out Boy - pop/emo bands that cite the Smiths as influences. I'm making a mix CD of Smiths songs for her.
I could use some suggestions for what songs would be best for a 13 year old girl in this situation. It's got to fit on a single CD. I want songs with lyrics that jump out and can connect with a 13 year old girl. For the record - I'm a 31 year old male and have been a Smiths fan since I was 18.

So far I've got...

Thanks for the idea.....

I've decided on a mix cd so I can force him to listen to songs that I think are good and leave off songs I don't want him to hear just yet...like "Asleep" and "Lifeguard" and anything like that...All excellent songs, but a 13 year old might NOT process them in the correct way...

He'll probably make a face when he opens a mix cd rather than a real cd, but he'll deal...plus it's been YEARS since I've made a mix for someone else rather than me...:)

so which songs did you choose all together?lshare if you like the tracklist...
i am thinking of doing one for my cousin in a few years he is 10 now shy, skinny,pale and redhaired..i wonder if he got picked on in his school...he is living in a rather tough neighbourhood in berlin,same one where i was born and raised(actually "braised" really fits better as moz uses that line where he talks about somebody "who was born and braised in vauxhall" i always smiled on that one and agree)
not livin there anymore obviously but sooner ot later will return to my birthtown...
..i kind of lost contact with his mother aka my aunt...so i didnt see hear anything from them for a while

Last edited:
I say Meat is Murder, he'd soon recognize "How Soon Is Now" and absolutely love it along with the rest of the CD. Anyway most kids today know that song from some teen show...I forget the name...something about witchcraft. He'll absolutely love the rest of the album.

I say Meat is Murder, he'd soon recognize "How Soon Is Now" and absolutely love it along with the rest of the CD. Anyway most kids today know that song from some teen show...I forget the name...something about witchcraft. He'll absolutely love the rest of the album.

The Craft
. Hot chicks, stupid movie. People still watch it?

I heard the opening riff at the dentist the other day, only to have it turn out to be that f***ing "Hippy Chick" song. Talk about insult added to injury.

so which songs did you choose all together?lshare if you like the tracklist...
i am thinking of doing one for my cousin in a few years he is 10 now shy, skinny,pale and redhaired..i wonder if he got picked on in his school...he is living in a rather tough neighbourhood in berlin,same one where i was born and raised(actually "braised" really fits better as moz uses that line where he talks about somebody "who was born and braised in vauxhall" i always smiled on that one and agree)
not livin there anymore obviously but sooner ot later will return to my birthtown...
..i kind of lost contact with his mother aka my aunt...so i didnt see hear anything from them for a while

Nothing like last minute!!!...It took me 5 minutes to find this thread so you know I need help:D
I'm making the mix cd tonight because I need it for Monday..I'm using all Morissey and NO Smiths. If he likes Moz I want him to find The Smiths on his own. Someone mentioned that above..I think it was Dave..it's a really smart idea because I think he'll enjoy them more if he thinks HE found them...

So..putting together a JUST MOZ compilation for a 13 is fu**ing hard.
I'm a 27 year old girl...what I like is not what a 13 year old boy will like..
Should I put songs I like (which are usually NOT "the hits") or should I put "easy on the ear" songs like songs that were singles...
I want to put songs about accepting yourself and all that good stuff because he's having a tough time at school. (Kids pick on him because it got around he likes boys and kids are f**king cruel)

If anyone made a Moz mix cd to introduce someone to him can you tell me what your tracklisting was please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like last minute!!!...It took me 5 minutes to find this thread so you know I need help:D
I'm making the mix cd tonight because I need it for Monday..I'm using all Morissey and NO Smiths. If he likes Moz I want him to find The Smiths on his own. Someone mentioned that above..I think it was Dave..it's a really smart idea because I think he'll enjoy them more if he thinks HE found them...

So..putting together a JUST MOZ compilation for a 13 is fu**ing hard.
I'm a 27 year old girl...what I like is not what a 13 year old boy will like..
Should I put songs I like (which are usually NOT "the hits") or should I put "easy on the ear" songs like songs that were singles...
I want to put songs about accepting yourself and all that good stuff because he's having a tough time at school. (Kids pick on him because it got around he likes boys and kids are f**king cruel)

If anyone made a Moz mix cd to introduce someone to him can you tell me what your tracklisting was please?

Nevermind..I'm gonna slap together a Smiths cd...I just can't do it with solo Moz...I've got all the cds out trying to make a list and I feel Morrissey's solo stuff is gonna go WAY over the kids head...am I wrong?

Look, the odds of you coming up with a shitty or inappropriate tracklist, whether it's Smiths-only, solo-only, or both, is slim to none. And if you're desperate, just pick the top tracks from the polls so far.

As for going over his head, well, how can you tell? There are certain songs that I loved at age 13, and when I hear them now (22 years later), I can hear all sorts of things in them that I never noticed or understood before, yet my 13 year-old self didn't feel like I was missing out. That said, "Dear God Please Help Me" may be a bit beyond his grasp.

Back
Top Bottom