What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Just finished

The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum - Heinrich Boll

Which I liked, very clever, very sharp.

and currently reading

Orlando - Virginia Woolf

Just finished "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood. Lent by a friend who's a fan and said she was great. Took me ages to start it (I'm contrary) but of course once I started I was really interested. Proof that great literature can come from Canada ;)

Have to say though, the way she depicts men, is typically female. It was all very believable except that part: there can't be that much going on in their heads! Pure science fiction! (=rhubarb.) :D

Give me a week and I shall have read the Dame Edna book: "Handling Edna: The Unauthorised Biography"...It looks good! :p

Apologiies for not seatching this thread. Has anyone read Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' ?I cannot put it down and I'm only half way thru this massive book. It's excellent. I personally champion the capitalist. Lots of lessons in there, no matter your POV.

The_Daily_Show_with_Jon_Stewart_Presents_Earth_The_Book_A_Visitors_Guide_to_the_Human_Race-66700.jpg

Buch der Lieder (Book of Songs) by Heinrich Heine.

Finished "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet", by David Mitchell. Have to say it was very disappointing. I've read Mitchell before and liked him, but this was tosh. The last part of the book read like a Patrick O'Brian novel, so that at least was good.

Since the lack of Morrissey news, this has become my favourite thread.

I'm working my way through "The Return: Russia's Journey From Gorbachev To Medvedev" by Daniel Treisman. I've been to Russia twice and really enjoyed the country, the people and the food. When you live in New Zealand, politics and international relations are very tame, polite and nice. Russian politics are so much more interesting. Treisman gives quite a favourable assessment of Yeltsin, saying that he was on the right track with his reforms. Putin and Medvedev are not given such a favourable assessment, with the author claiming both are very corrupt. I've read as much as I can about Putin and it seems no one can really sum him up. He remains elusive and never giving too much away. I have friends in Russia and they know even less about the life of Putin than I do.

The book is good. Flows well. Must move onto fiction afterwards.

In a moment of absolute, pure honesty, I am currently reading these two books. The first is The Ghost Mare by David Grew. It's a children's book from 1952 about two boys and a girl who attempt to capture a horse who has haunted and rumored to have killed men on the prairies of Canada. I'm only a few chapters in though but so far it's captivating and oddly familiar. I get deja vu times TEN whenever I read it so I've been reading it slowly in order to quell the freak out factor.

5492563547_cfcb41fafa.jpg

The second is this pamphlet of nonsense. Boring as hell. Almost as boring as reading about the history of Putin. :D I kid. No it's really quite interesting if you're into extrapolating metaphor.

5492565589_5dd862f292.jpg

I finally finished my book today. I am trying to decide if I want to read a manga or a paranormal.

Just finished reading The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, which was a very nice book. Now reading Franny and Zooey by Salinger. After that I have A Moveable Feast by Hemmingway and Ulysses by Joyce on the agenda.

Just finished reading The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, which was a very nice book. Now reading Franny and Zooey by Salinger. After that I have A Moveable Feast by Hemmingway and Ulysses by Joyce on the agenda.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower sounds really interesting. I will have to give it a try.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom