What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

And I read about a third, and skim-read the rest, of David Foster Wallace's mammoth 'Infinite Jest', ultimately identifying closely with nearly everything said in this review - http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/03/news/infinite-jest.html - of an immensely productive - product, that perhaps plays a joke itself on the reader? Anyone else tried it? He left a short story we can still read here - http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2011/03/07/110307fi_fiction_wallace . Spooky...

I read every line. Including all the end notes and foot notes and red herrings. Loved it.

One of last books I read was "I Slept With Joey Ramone".It was a really interesting book.He had really bad ocd which I could really relate to.

I read every line. Including all the end notes and foot notes and red herrings. Loved it.

Bravo! Are you American? Because DF Wallace's book focuses a lot on the place of sports in the US system of higher-education, amongst other things, which it would probably help you to know about in order to 'get' the story more fully. Perhaps tennis success in academic life as portrayed in the book is almost akin to the pushing of basketball nationally, as fairly well outlined in an article in today' newspaper? - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0326/1224293137665.html

My next giantesque undertaking is 'Against the Day' by Thomas Pynchon - http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/books/review/Schillinger.t.html -in contemplation of which I feel a bit like someone with a needle allergy at the vaccine clinic, baulk, baulk, baulk! (again, the size of it!) - until I break the ba...spine of it i.e. presumably start it! ;)

Today it is Die Angestellten (The White-Collar Workers) by Siegfried Kracauer.

The Importance of Being Earnest, again.

I just finished re-reading"Companions of the Night" by Vivian Vande Velde. I still really liked it. I am now reading "Mistress of Mellyn" by Victoria Holt.

I just finished re-reading"Companions of the Night" by Vivian Vande Velde. I still really liked it. I am now reading "Mistress of Mellyn" by Victoria Holt.

Vivian Vande Velde? What a name.

I know, it made me laugh when I first read her name.:p

But it isn't a pen name then? Can someone really have that name for real? It sounds like the name of a countess from a vampire movie or something similar.

But it isn't a pen name then? Can someone really have that name for real? It sounds like the name of a countess from a vampire movie or something similar.

It might be. I don't know anything about her, I have only read this novel by her. She writes science fiction/fantasy/paranormal. It does sound a fitting name for an author of that genre. (The book I had read was a vampire book.)

It might be. I don't know anything about her, I have only read this novel by her. She writes science fiction/fantasy/paranormal. It does sound a fitting name for an author of that genre. (The book I had read was a vampire book.)

Do you read the Sookie Stackhouse novels? I watch True Blood but I haven't read any of the novels. And speaking of vampires; I should get around to reading Bram Stokers' Dracula someday. So many books, so little time.

Do you read the Sookie Stackhouse novels? I watch True Blood but I haven't read any of the novels. And speaking of vampires; I should get around to reading Bram Stokers' Dracula someday. So many books, so little time.

I read the first book. It was good, but it wasn't my cup of tea. If you like the show you should give it a try, I think they are supposed to be very similar. I hear you on the so many books. Everytime I go to the library I get a bunch of books and I have to scramble to read them all.

right now I am suffering from a bit of post gr8 book reading melancholy :tears:
"The Graveyard Book" was really good, I hope Neil Gaiman writes another :guitar:
& Hollywood makes a movie of it :eek:
but one must move on, so speaking of writers that movies love to adapt :rolleyes:
I just checked out:
Dennis-Lehane-The-Given-Day.jpg

:)

I have changed my mind about reading "Mistress of Mellyn" by Victoria Holt. I'm not in the mood for it right now. Instead I am reading "Love in the Afternoon" by Lisa Kleypas.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment I'm reading Traumnovelle by Arthur Schnitzler. This long short-story is excellent and it is this story upon which Kubrick based his last film Eyes Wide Shut. So if you liked this film you should give Schnitzler's short-story a read. Before this short-story I read another one; Die Judenbuche by Annette von Droste-Hülshoff.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom