What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Fear And Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 - Hunter S Thompson.

Amazon's brief synopsis:

The best, the fastest, the hippest and the most unorthodox account ever published of the US presidential electoral process in all its madness and corruption. In 1972 Hunter S. Thompson, the creator and king of Gonzo journalism, covered the US presidential campaign for Rolling Stone magazine alongside the establishment newsmen of Washington. The result is a classic piece of subversive reportage and a fantastic ride on the rollercoaster of Hunter's uniquely savage imagination. In his own words, written years before Watergate: 'It is Nixon himself who represents that dark, venal and incurably violent side of the American character almost every other country in the world has learned to fear and despise.'

You can keep your Kindle I've got my libraries

Does anybody know a good book from the 19th century? I don't know why but I love old English books. I was thinking of reading Shakespeare now but my mum told me it's very very very hard?

So, does anybody know a good book they should have in the library?

Hello. I really love Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
If I'm not mistaken, Morrissey likes it too.;)

Seems like a fun read, must check it out.

I'm reading Jean Baudrillard at the moment too - 'The Consumer Society:Myths and Structures'

His demolition of a lot of what we take for granted reminds me of Morrissey. Occasionally it occured to me that if he packed in his high-profile college tenure and took up olive farming in a small French village, a lot of his angst would disappear! I must find out what he's saying these days about our media-saturated world.

The book is definitely worth to be looked up. Never wrong with a little nuance in regards to germans and nazism. And while on the subject of Fallada I would also say that his novel Little Man, What Now? also is well worth looking up. It was actually Morrissey's reference to this title that got me interested in Fallada in the first place.

Thanks for the tips.

Does anybody know a good book from the 19th century? I don't know why but I love old English books. I was thinking of reading Shakespeare now but my mum told me it's very very very hard?

So, does anybody know a good book they should have in the library?

You could try the acclaimed Gothic novel, Melmoth the Wanderer by Oscar Wilde's grand-uncle, CR Maturin - online here - http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700551h.html

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just purchased Breakfast At Tiffany's by Truman Capote :)

I'm reading Effi Briest by Theodor Fontaine. It reminds me of Madame Bovary and it's just as good as the latter if not even better.

Ta guys, I'll look them up, and maybe I can find one of them in the library :) You know how annoying it is if you love to read books in English while your language is Dutch. Most of the books are in Dutch here. Kind of logic, I know, but still :p

Der geteilte Himmel (The Divided Heaven) by Christa Wolf.

Scandal and Passion. So far, I'm not sure that EVERYTHING Moz has ever done was motivated by sex in one way or another, as the author seems to propose. It's a nice refresher on trivia though.

Patti Smith's Just Kids, bejewelled with words reflecting shimmering specifics. :flowers: :rock:

In Cold Blood, by Truman 'something else', I forgot the last name. It's ok I guess, got it since 2 days, and I'm at page 40 now, usually I'd be at page 100 or further. It has much letters on one page you know :p

I'm reading Der Untertan (The Loyal Subject) by Heinrich Mann. It's the first novel I'm reading by the oldest Mann brother. It is very good. An analysis of wilhelminian Germany and the psychology of obedience.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom