What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

I had that and gave it away last year though probably shouldn't have as it was a well-crafted book, with loads of photos. Some parts appealed more than others e.g. the chapter about the guidance counsellor; a paragraph here and there on past attitudes to work, plus the piece on robotics which contained some pithy observations, that the promise of machines with A.I. being around the corner over the past 200 years is a little like a Samuel Beckett play, 'Waiting for Robot'! (I think it was in that book anyway).

Sounds good.:thumb:

I'll let you know if it reads as well as it sounds...

Reading "Taal Is Zegmaar Echt Mijn Ding" at the moment. It's a Dutch book about language and what most young lads says nowadays. Which I'm one of, though I don't talk like them AT ALL... :p

I'm re-reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Perfection.

This online music service I subscribe to has Alan Watts' "This Is It" but so far all I'm hearing is badly recorded chanting of gibberish and weird sounds. I checked his work on Amazon and it looks interesting. I shall check out "Become What You Are." [that was a Juliana Hatfield album title, IIRC]

I started reading Emile Zola's "The Dram Shop" (or "L'Assommoir" if you like) at the beach but am not really into it. It's about poor people in 19th century Paris and how miserable and hopeless their lives are. I'm going to keep at it. It's supposed to have a really good description of the absinthe experience, which intrigues me.

Last edited:
RabbitRunbookcover.jpg

Strage - Loriano Macchiavelli.
??Loriano Macchiavelli?:confused::confused:I prefer Niccolo Machiavelli though:

"(...)that he who neglects what
is done for what ought to be done, sooner effects his ruin than his
preservation; for a man who wishes to act entirely up to his
professions of virtue soon meets with what destroys him among so much
that is evil.

Hence it is necessary for a prince wishing to hold his own to know how
to do wrong, and to make use of it or not according to necessity."

"I believe that
this follows from severities[*] being badly or properly used.Therefore a wise lord cannot, nor ought he to, keep faith
when such observance may be turned against him, and when the reasons
that caused him to pledge it exist no longer. If men were entirely
good this precept would not hold, but because they are bad, and will
not keep faith with you, you too are not bound to observe it with
them. "

this is the 2nd time I read this book, the first was over 20 years ago :eek:
don't remember much from reading it then :confused: except that I wanted to read the sequel, but never got around to it :o
well, this time I give it an A :thumb: & have moved on to reading:
RabbitReduxbookcover.jpg

??Loriano Macchiavelli?:confused::confused:I prefer Niccolo Machiavelli though
Loriano Macchiavelli is a modern Italian mystery writer, perhaps, he is a descendant of Niccolo Macchiavelli...

I heard about that Mamet book. Please tell me if he is as annoying in print as he is elsewhere?

Reading The Collector by John Fowlers or something. It freaks me out ._.

What annoys you about him?

He's intense and whiny at the same time, and seems to need to control any conversation he's having. I couldn't wait to get out of the room. Reading his book is like inviting him into your brain, and that's kind of...horrifying to me.

He's intense and whiny at the same time, and seems to need to control any conversation he's having. I couldn't wait to get out of the room. Reading his book is like inviting him into your brain, and that's kind of...horrifying to me.

The dude wrote and directed 'House of Games'...he can be as much of a prick as he likes. :p

Narciss und Goldmund by Hermann Hesse.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom