What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

its taken me a while to get into reading books from pdf, but desperate times call for desperate measures
if anybody knows of some good sites to DL books for free, please let me know
as for me, I just DLed

Got lots of eBooks in PDF, Mobi, or ePub format that I can share with you. Sent you a PM.

Just finished this. So interesting and well-written!
51R-w8EGjfL._SS500_.jpg

Heinrich Himmler: A Life

At 1072 pages, this will take a while to finish. I'm only about fifty pages in... and oddly I feel almost guilty for reading this book. Although the author is not glorifying Himmler in anyway, I feel like by spending time learning about this monster's life somehow pays tribute to him. I suppose I shouldn't feel this way as I have read many WWII biographies. And my motivation for reading this one, like all the others, is to gain a better understanding of this historical time period.

just started:
Catching_fire_c-210.jpg

and for my non-fiction reading I just DLed
Madness_and_Civilization.jpg

I really love this book of his, this will mark the 3rd time* I have read it on my own in the last 20 years or so

*=parts of it were required reading for more than one class I took @ UCLA, basically I took any class I could that had Foucault or Derrida in the syllabus...

Madness_and_Civilization.jpg

I really love this book of his, this will mark the 3rd time* I have read it on my own in the last 20 years or so

*=parts of it were required reading for more than one class I took @ UCLA, basically I took any class I could that had Foucault or Derrida in the syllabus...

Reading theory and philosophy outside a classroom is a mark of insanity ya know. :D

still reading "The History of Madness" a little at a time, it includes the whole Derrida vs Foucault thing, which I find fascinating since I am into both
on the fiction front, last week I finished "Mockingjay" the 3rd book in the "Hunger Games" series, its the worst, the first one was real good though
now I am onto:
AFeastForCrows.jpg

took a break from this series for a while after the heart wrenching 3rd book, was quite upset at who died in it
but am back on my horse now and reading this one and will be for a while, its like a thousand pages or something..

ps: come on people, I know some of you read, tell me what

Ill fares the land by Tony Judt.

Hunger Games trilogy is really fun. I might be in the minority who liked the last book Mockingjay though.
The Capitol reminds me of Moscow during the Soviets.

I just finished Jessica Mitford's memoir 'A Fine Old Conflict'.
She is a much better writer than Deborah but her book was really irritating at times. I can't get past how she rationalized the Soviets killing the Hungarians in the '56 revolt. Ugh. Totalitarian government is never good.

To me the Soviets and the Nazis [of which her sis Unity was infatuated with Hitler and even stalked him] are too much alike to see her as rebelling from the family.
The family bits were the highlights but she was tedious, self righteous and down right naive when it came to her politics. You can't surely expose our prison industry as money making business but hold up the Soviets who also used forced prison labour as the ideal. Both were bad.
I adore Nancy Mitford. She's so mean but hilarious and was the highlight of both sisters memoirs. I'm sure when I start Diana Mitford's memoir 'A life of contrasts' I'll be super creeped with her unrepentant fascism. The Mitford sisters are entertaining.

I love Nancy Mitford, Love in a cold climate was perfection- i've read quite a good bio on the family, would love to read the published letters between the sisters though

I'm reading a beautiful graphic novel titled Paul Goes Fishing by Michel Rabagliati.

JAN083584.jpg

It's a story about a man and his wife meeting up with family to vacation at a lake in Canada, the narrative includes many memories, some quite emotional, some quite funny, all very touching. There's also a lot of educational parts, it;s BEAUTIFULLY rendered too, very elegant fingers and simple yet expressive facial gestures. I'm almost finished yet I don't want it to end it's that good.

Here's one of the educational excerpts:
paul55.gif

I just finished Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell. They creeped me the hell out but they were good. I downloaded Vladimir Nabokov's Bend Sinister on my kindle for later. I read it's his answer to Orwell since he didn't think Orwell was a good writer. I don't think he was bad but his style is more journalistic for sure. I'm valuing it on it's merit as a good story and it deserves it's place in the classics list.
I don't want to read too many dysotopians at once less I get too scared. :)

I'm currently reading A Hat full of Sky by Terry Pratchett from his Tiffany Aching series. It's his ya series but it's not like the Twilight YA. It's funny and clever and a balm to my heart after the Orwell. Now Pratchett has a way with words.

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower~Stephen Chbosky

Have just finished reading The Perks Of Being A Wallflower.I really,really loved it.Honestly I haven`t been this moved by a book in a long time.I highly recommend it.Loved,loved.loved it.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom