What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

So about half way through Hollywood by Vidal and it’s very good even if it maybe doesn’t have the momentum of dc. I was delighted to see that it’s all a continuation of the characters even if I found that out by reading the novels in reverse chronological order. Another funny bit is that they’re going through the Spanish flu pandemic and are talking about social distancing and everyone wearing masks in public

31450364.jpg

Just finished Brideshead Revisited.

Now reading Morrissey's Autobiography.

On my thirteenth reading of Valentin Tomberg's esoteric masterpiece Meditations on the Tarot. (Which sounds New Age, but isn't. It's the book that led me to convert to Catholicism. Without which, I never could have.)

Finished a biography of Marie Corelli - it's poignant & very funny.

Also finished the ghost stories of E. F. Benson.

corelli.jpg
benson.jpg

Starting the executioners by John McDonald. A different sort of choice for me and a spontaneous purchase but it seemed really interesting and just the right size to try so here I go

The executioners was pretty solid. Very lean and sharp. Inspired I decided to read a Parker novel

A Fraction Of The Whole by Steve Toltz

'It's no rumour: prancing arrogant Parisians sit cross - legged in cafes & philosophise uninvited - but why is it that when I hear someone make a great philosophical argument I get the same feeling as when I see someone has put clothes on his dog?'

Last edited by a moderator:
A Fraction Of The Whole by Steve Toltz

'I have returned to my cafe taller from the previous evening's conquest. Me conquered? Her conqueror? The moon has just risen. I feel lazy & hungover, the warm sensation of pleasant exhaustion slowly contracting. Edges of my old miserable self coming home.
I know I'll never see her again. '

' We drank for another hour & I mutilated many of my most coherent thoughts by putting them into words'

'Now five in the morning. She fell asleep before me & I'm writing this very drunk & propped up in bed beside her. O Whatever Your Name Is! You sleep deeply like a beautiful cadaver & your ghostly white face sits there strangely on the pillow like a piece of the moon. '

' Was grateful to her for removing my virginity but it was gone now & I couldn't see any further purpose to her. Like having dinner with doctor after successful operation. What's the point? '

' She asked me how tall I was. I shrugged this off w/ a sneer - every now & again someone asks me this asinine question & is flabbergasted that I don't know. Why should I know? What for? Knowledge of your own height serves now usefulnpurpose in our society other than to be able to answer that question. '

' Maybe she's the first nonrekated/nonmedcal person to see me naked and vulnerable or maybe because she often seems so genuinely pleased simply to be with me - something inside me irritated at the idea that I have the capacity to make someone else happy just by existing when my existence has never done anything for me.

Yesterday she told me to call her Pauline.
I fake a new name depending on what country I'm in, she said.
So what are you telling me, Astrid isn't your real name?

It's real if you call me & I answer to it. '

' Speaking as God from the toilet lent the whole situation some authenticity, the acoustics made my voice echo just like his would. '

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading Nobody Believed Me, by Lesley Newman
"One day, in May 1961, Banoo and Rustom arrived to collect their grandchildren. They seemed to be in a great hurry to get the girls out of the house, but Lesley and Karen weren’t worried as they adored their grandparents and didn’t mind at all. To them, this was just going to be another fun-packed afternoon at Grandma and Granddad’s house, but it was going to take a sinister turn later on that day."

"Pam’s mood changed in an instant and she turned red with rage and grabbed the little girl’s arm, digging her painted bright red talon-shaped nails into Lesley’s delicate skin. Lesley yelped and started to cry as the sharp nails broke her skin and blood appeared on her arm. ‘You ungrateful little bitch! We rescued you from poverty and gave you a home! If it wasn’t for us you’d be on the streets!’ she screamed. ‘If you want any birthday cake, you had better start acting like you’re grateful.’"

Black water was pretty amazing. Very impressionistic style that I didn’t expect. Kinda reminded me a bit of don Delillos point omega or the body artist. Now reading worst person ever by Douglas coupland

Trafficked: The Diary of a Sex Slave

It's fiction but based on true stories.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom