What's the meaning of

276px-Standing_Osiris_edit1.svg.png

vlcsnap-23371.jpg

Uncanny resemblance. I am two, where are you Isis? He left his flail and his crook home the day of this photo. :p Actually, the 2 could be the crook and maybe in the video he flails around a bit. :D

I don't think Morrissey is saying he is the girl. I know in Maladjusted he sings "working girls like me", and I know he wore a big gaudy necklace and a woman's blouse, but I don't think he wanted to be a woman. It's more like those old folk songs that tell the story from the point of view of a character. It's more true to the story to sing the song as written even if it means singing in a role outside your gender. Singers that need to change all the "hers" to "hims" are less true to the song, especially when they mess up the meter or just alter the sound of the words in a way that makes them less lyrical. Singing outside your assigned gender might also signal an awareness of other than heterosexual union, though I think it's more about being true to the material.

The Osiris theory doesn't work for me either. I am open to cryptic interpretations, but I would think there should be some specifics that make it clear once you have the key, and unfortunately that does not make the pieces fall into place for me. What do I know? :o

The pic reminds me of Han Solo frozen in carbonite. I am impressed by the green color connection though.

I'm not sure about the gay theory either. There is something about this boy that makes him different, but it seems to be some illness, possibly mental. Isn't young adulthood when some mental illnesses begin to make themselves apparent? Whatever happened, the boy seemed to have somewhat of a normal life with his "pals". I don't know, maybe it is about a man that won't face his sexuality. But then why the girl of your dreams? Maybe she does exist only in the imagination, and "girl of your dreams" is a standard saying that he is using purposely, both to show that she is not real and that she is a cliche.

Could "the woman of my dreams, she never came along / the woman of my dreams, well, there never was one" be connected to this song?

I guess I have to go with the gay theory, but I don't think it's that clear, and he's capable of making it clear, so I don't know...

The Osiris theory doesn't work for me either. I am open to cryptic interpretations, but I would think there should be some specifics that make it clear once you have the key, and unfortunately that does not make the pieces fall into place for me. What do I know? :o

Dude, you were the one posting all the palace in the sun (for dead people) references, I just went with it. :p

It's about Osiris. :straightface:

When he ran in the sun with his pals, it's alluding to Ra the sun God. Osiris undergoes a certain transformation throughout the course of his tale, his attributes take on certain feminine connotations, he become more affiliated with the female. The girl of his dreams is Isis who pieces together his body, or his tales so that he can fully realize who he is. It's titled Southpaw because of the fertile south nile region of Egypt, as symbolized by the flail Osiris holds. Southern egypt is where the PAW or papyrus plants grow, where the paper is made, where essentially the birth of the written word occurs. It's very important. Think about THAT the next time some Barnes & Noble employee tries to sell you a Kindle. :thumb:

Anyway, it's about Osiris. At least in spirit it is. It could just be about a boy looking for a girl.

Osiris is awesome. I love "Wonderwall" and "Live Forever".

I always hear it say "You ran back to Marr" and that would be a good headline when Morrissey's 80's group reunites and people want to be snide about it. Also, it's about being gay like all the rest of his songs. Sorry, ladies. ;)

As you all see in Dave's words, have I said something wrong? No. Almost all Morrissey's songs are 'bout being gay/lesbian - but it doesn't mean everyone who likes Morrissey is gay. I am not one.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I do not agree with the almost all of Morrissey's songs are about being gay/lesbian. There are a few references, but his lyrics are usually very obscure. One could interpret them in many different ways. He certainly gives the listener something to chew on, doesn't he? Nothing is that straight forward, and as I said subject to interpretation. By the way, I am not gay either and personally do not think Morrissey is gay. I'm not sure what he is but it certainly can't be that simple to just say he is gay. Whatever he is, we all love him!

"Southpaw" is open to interpretation, as are nearly all of Morrissey's songs. It may or may not be about a gay man. Very few of his songs can be explained beyond debate (in fact only "Meat Is Murder" comes to mind). But it's disingenuous to continually invoke the Ambiguity Escape Clause, whereby the fact that a song can mean anything is cited to prove it doesn't mean what it most likely does. This is the equivalent of the scene in "Dumb and Dumber" when Mary tells Lloyd his chances with her are one in a million and his face frowns, then lights up: "So you're saying there's a chance!"

There is nothing to fear from interpreting "Southpaw" or any other Morrissey song as having gay subject matter. The majority of his songs depict the outpouring of real emotions prompted by events that never occurred. Nobody has to think "Southpaw" is a "gay" song, but at the same time, even if it is about "gay" subject matter, at the heart of the song are emotions to which anyone can relate, straight or gay. This isn't to say it doesn't matter, in the end, if the song is "gay" or "straight", but rather to put things in their proper place: "what the song is about" means both the 'story' the song tells as well as the deeper emotional meaning. The story is important, but it's just another way of reaching the basic emotional experiences common to all people, "gay" and "straight".

The 'story' in "Southpaw" is likely a "gay" one, but what the song is really about is not having the one you love.

Last edited:
It's really quite strange that after so many years, there is still so much heated debate about whether the songs are about gay relationships, and whether Morrissey himself is gay or straight. Because, really, what difference does it make? As Worm just pointed out, aside from a few mechanical details, there is no difference between love between gay people and love between straight people. And since the chance of any hanger-on ever having a romantic relationship (or any relationship, beyond that sweaty stage-edge handshake) with Morrissey is smaller than the proverbial one in a million, it truly does not matter. So is the ongoing debate the point? In the vast twenty years since half my friends were safely closeted in high school, gayness is much more accepted, but we still must argue over the "gay content" in Morrissey--why?

I hAte the labeling. My boyfriend calls Moz some horrible names bcuz he thinks he is gay. PersonAlly it doesn't matter to me. I would love 15 minutes with Moz though just becuz he is so very attractive to me. Gay or not he is a very desirable enigma. I think he has accomplished maintaining the mystique which is so intriguing. My point being I don't care but I do not find his lyrics overly gay-based. I hope I get to meet him one day. Just to touch him. Like Alain said it would be like a religious experience almost for me. I want to look through his windows (eyes)! Am I babbling?

"Southpaw" is open to interpretation, as are nearly all of Morrissey's songs. It may or may not be about a gay man. Very few of his songs can be explained beyond debate (in fact only "Meat Is Murder" comes to mind). But it's disingenuous to continually invoke the Ambiguity Escape Clause, whereby the fact that a song can mean anything is cited to prove it doesn't mean what it most likely does. This is the equivalent of the scene in "Dumb and Dumber" when Mary tells Lloyd his chances with her are one in a million and his face frowns, then lights up: "So you're saying there's a chance!"

There is nothing to fear from interpreting "Southpaw" or any other Morrissey song as having gay subject matter. The majority of his songs depict the outpouring of real emotions prompted by events that never occurred. Nobody has to think "Southpaw" is a "gay" song, but at the same time, even if it is about "gay" subject matter, at the heart of the song are emotions to which anyone can relate, straight or gay. This isn't to say it doesn't matter, in the end, if the song is "gay" or "straight", but rather to put things in their proper place: "what the song is about" means both the 'story' the song tells as well as the deeper emotional meaning. The story is important, but it's just another way of reaching the basic emotional experiences common to all people, "gay" and "straight".

The 'story' in "Southpaw" is likely a "gay" one, but what the song is really about is not having the one you love.

I agree with this entire statement, particularly the bolded part. And I just want to take this opportunity to say when I interprete things as being Osirian or symbolic, I'm not saying he knew he was writing that stuff, rather it's a line of thought expressed from a pure source...ie, it's a "cosmic" interpretation of an interesting combination of ideas that only Morrissey seems to string together so easily for some reason. He didn't sit down and say "Ima gonna write a song 'bout Osiris." :)rofl:) Rather he turned to an emotional idea that he felt, a dream or a wish, and when expressing that dream or wish, most likely dipped in a deep sort of unexplainable love or desire, all this weird Egyptian stuff comes pouring out. Because he's weird that way. :p

I think a lot of his songs are gay really. Yay for gay. Doesn't mean he's gay necessarily, if that makes any sense.

It does matter if the songs have "gay" subject matter, though. At the same time, the songs explore and depict emotions that anyone might feel, but there are A NUMBER of songs which make much more sense when interpreted as if Morrissey were singing from the perspective of a gay man.

True.

I always hear it say "You ran back to Marr" and that would be a good headline when Morrissey's 80's group reunites and people want to be snide about it. Also, it's about being gay like all the rest of his songs. Sorry, ladies. ;)

That is hilarious :lbf:

I agree with this entire statement, particularly the bolded part. And I just want to take this opportunity to say when I interprete things as being Osirian or symbolic, I'm not saying he knew he was writing that stuff, rather it's a line of thought expressed from a pure source...ie, it's a "cosmic" interpretation of an interesting combination of ideas that only Morrissey seems to string together so easily for some reason. He didn't sit down and say "Ima gonna write a song 'bout Osiris." :)rofl:) Rather he turned to an emotional idea that he felt, a dream or a wish, and when expressing that dream or wish, most likely dipped in a deep sort of unexplainable love or desire, all this weird Egyptian stuff comes pouring out. Because he's weird that way. :p

I think a lot of his songs are gay really. Yay for gay. Doesn't mean he's gay necessarily, if that makes any sense.

Yes, and Morrissey is such an intellectual, he works hard for his fans to unravel the deeper meaning of things......tee hee :)

Whether it's a gay situation or not, I think he's talking about
lost love, and the fact that there is someone for everyone
and if you're a "shut-in" type person, you'll never meet them,
or never avail yourself to the environment where you could meet
the "person you could love".:guitar:

"A sick boy should be treated; so easily defeated....I just don't
understand..." etc. Think he's talking about some guy that stayed
home all the time and his isolation caused him to never be able
to find the one who loved him or whom he could have loved......

(Oh by the way, what is the name of that very very homosexual Irish singer who has an album called Southpaw in his discography?

That "very very homosexual Irish singer" is married and has two children. But he does sing, "I was cheerful, bright and gay" in Alone Again, Naturally so close enough.

Actually, could Southpaw be about Gilbert O'Sullivan? That bit, "you turned around/you were alone, again..." could be the clue.

Last edited:
Gilbert o Sullivan has an album called southpaw. Perhaps it's revelant

T Alone Again, Naturally

Actually, could Southpaw be about Gilbert O'Sullivan? That bit, "you turned around/you were alone, again..." could be the clue.

he likes the song apparently. i remember one interviewer mentions the song and moz replied that he likes the song-alone again,naturally that is
hopes to find the interview again-got lost in the chaos...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom