What's the meaning of

skull

the song "Southpaw"? I mean the real meaning beyond the words...for example: who's the girl of your dreams? Is HERE all alone? Who is he talking to? Is he referring to himself as a girl? Who ran back to Ma?

the song "Southpaw"? I mean the real meaning beyond the words...for example: who's the girl of your dreams? Is HERE all alone? Who is he talking to? Is he referring to himself as a girl? Who ran back to Ma?

I've never been totally sure, myself, what the song is about exactly. I'm not one who looks for gay readings in everything Morrissey does, but I think you could possibly interpret the line "The girl of your dreams is here" as meaning the person in question doesn't realize he's gay, i.e., he doesn't realize the girl of his dreams is a boy. Instead of discovering his sexuality, he ran back to his mother, much to the dismay of the person who loves him and wishes he would admit what he is. Boosting this reading is the fact that "southpaw" means a left-handed person, which also, in some quarters, has been used as slang for gay. If so, it would make the song a cousin of "All The Lazy Dykes", in which the singer encourages someone to "Free yourself, be yourself".

Interestingly there's a Gene song, "Left-handed", with a character very similar to the one in "Southpaw". Imagine the tracks put together as an epic, Who-like gay opera about a man cutting his mother's apron strings and finding the one he loves:

I said, I have one single success to my name
So take cover, I am coming out today
There is no turn of phrase, no easy way to say
I'll find my feet and I'll choose my own name

It's hard to be left-handed but smile you're not the only one
I know you've been left stranded, bruised, kicked
Lost your mother's love but take it from me
And take it from me but take it from me​

Can we expect Morrissey and Martin Rossiter to storm Broadway anytime soon?

:)

Last edited:
I've never been totally sure, myself, what the song is about exactly. I'm not one who looks for gay readings in everything Morrissey does, but I think you could possibly interpret the line "The girl of your dreams is here" as meaning the person in question doesn't realize he's gay, i.e., he doesn't realize the girl of his dreams is a boy. Instead of discovering his sexuality, he ran back to his mother, much to the dismay of the person who loves him and wishes he would admit what he is. Boosting this reading is the fact that "southpaw" means a left-handed person, which also, in some quarters, has been used as slang for gay. If so, it would make the song a cousin of "All The Lazy Dykes", in which the singer encourages someone to "Free yourself, be yourself".

Interestingly there's a Gene song, "Left-handed", with a character very simliar to the one in "Southpaw". They could be the same story; imagine the tracks put together as a two-part Who-like gay opera about a man cutting his mother's apron strings and finding the one he loves:

With that interpretation we can probably work out who it'd be about then.

This. Though I think it may be about someone who has relationships with men while he is young, but he sees these relationships as fleeting. He has good times, but when others grow up, pair off, and start settling down, he fears he'll be left alone. Ultimately, he wants someone who will always be there, like his mother was when he was a kid, and he's hanging on to the notion that only a woman could be a nurturing and constant force in his life. In running back to Ma, he's running in search of this feminine archetypal ideal, not noticing that the person of his dreams may indeed have been there all along.

Considering 'Southpaw' means left-handed in boxing, I always figured Morrissey was using it was a metaphor for a less common way to fight through life's difficulties. Of course, this could mean gay, but it could mean something else entirely. I don't think Morrissey's lyrics talk about sexuality as much as people believe they do.

Also, I think that many songs such as 'Southpaw', are purposefully written in a way which makes them impossible to truly determine their meaning. I think the lyrics probably have more sentimental meaning to Morrissey than will ever be brought to light.

I've never been totally sure, myself, what the song is about exactly.

:rofl: Wow. There's a surprise. That's a first, innit. :lbf:

But... hang on... Did you ever ask? :rolleyes:

(Oh by the way, what is the name of that very very homosexual Irish singer who has an album called Southpaw in his discography? First one to find that in Mozipedia wins breafast for two in a Huntington school.Good luck.:thumb:)

For everyone's info I could have easily ignored this thread.:lbf:

Good bye!:)

Courage%20Wolf%20-%20WOW%20UR%20A%20DICK.jpg

Considering 'Southpaw' means left-handed in boxing, I always figured Morrissey was using it was a metaphor for a less common way to fight through life's difficulties. Of course, this could mean gay, but it could mean something else entirely. I don't think Morrissey's lyrics talk about sexuality as much as people believe they do.

Also, I think that many songs such as 'Southpaw', are purposefully written in a way which makes them impossible to truly determine their meaning. I think the lyrics probably have more sentimental meaning to Morrissey than will ever be brought to light.

So in this case it is possible the song is called "Southpaw" because "running home to Ma" represents a less common way to fight through life's difficulties?

:lbf: ...Is it me, or someone on this thread is a dick?

:squiffy:

Jesus, when you're thick... :lbf:

I am left handed.....and left footed...... is there any meaning in that to my life?:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Interestingly there's a Gene song, "Left-handed", with a character very similar to the one in "Southpaw". Imagine the tracks put together as an epic, Who-like gay opera about a man cutting his mother's apron strings and finding the one he loves:

Can we expect Morrissey and Martin Rossiter to storm Broadway anytime soon?

You are maybe right...Thank you for your help!

I always hear it say "You ran back to Marr" and that would be a good headline when Morrissey's 80's group reunites and people want to be snide about it. Also, it's about being gay like all the rest of his songs. Sorry, ladies. ;)

It's about Osiris. :straightface:

When he ran in the sun with his pals, it's alluding to Ra the sun God. Osiris undergoes a certain transformation throughout the course of his tale, his attributes take on certain feminine connotations, he become more affiliated with the female. The girl of his dreams is Isis who pieces together his body, or his tales so that he can fully realize who he is. It's titled Southpaw because of the fertile south nile region of Egypt, as symbolized by the flail Osiris holds. Southern egypt is where the PAW or papyrus plants grow, where the paper is made, where essentially the birth of the written word occurs. It's very important. Think about THAT the next time some Barnes & Noble employee tries to sell you a Kindle. :thumb:

Anyway, it's about Osiris. At least in spirit it is. It could just be about a boy looking for a girl.

Back
Top Bottom