What's your prediction for first week (UK) sales of California Son?

What's your prediction for first week (UK) sales of California Son?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Surely it's more about sales than chart position? Someone can get to number 1 with 10k sales one week whereas some else may be number 1 the week after with 100k sales. Last weeks a good example, Lewis Capaldi got to number 1 with a shitload of sales with the National at number 2. If the National had released their album the pervious week it would probably have been number 1.
Well have you seen The National’s sales? Really poor. But their chart position was really good, so in a way it is more about chart position than sales ;) In the end that’s all that matters.

According to you it’s dull, dull, dull.
According to a lot of Smiths fans Maladjusted, or even Kill Uncle, was dull, dull, dull.
That’s just the way it goes, and it’s just personal opinion. That’s why I asked you: how many artists do you know who still release challenging records 35 years into their careers, let alone career highs?
Or for that matter how many new artists do you know who release albums of the same quality of Moz’s? I don’t know many and for me Morrissey will always be in a league of his own because he’s actually the only one that still releases strong and succesfull albums 35 years after the first.

The only thing challenging about his new records is they’re challenging to listen to.
I listened to viva Hate last night and couldn’t get past the first track for about 20 mins with repeating it so much. I turned a 40min album into a 2 hour sesh with the amount of songs I was playing back. That’s what I want from a Morrissey album.

good news for:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: cucks!!!

CALL THE COMET is at 1426 on the UK amazon charts despite selling NO copies for yet
another week:rock:

The only thing challenging about his new records is they’re challenging to listen to.
I listened to viva Hate last night and couldn’t get past the first track for about 20 mins with repeating it so much. I turned a 40min album into a 2 hour sesh with the amount of songs I was playing back. That’s what I want from a Morrissey album.
Of course, we all do. But that’s a top-10 album of all time for me. Not only Morrissey will ever come close to it again, no artist will.
For me anyway.

Naw, anything outside the top 10 is a flop. Malajusted and Kill Uncle, both his lowest charting albums both reached number 8.

Look, he should be held to his highest standards.

He’s slipped, and gradually with it, fan expectation has slipped, to where you’ll be cheering 11k sales and a #7 chart spot.

Look, he should be held to his highest standards.

He’s slipped, and gradually with it, fan expectation has slipped, to where you’ll be cheering 11k sales and a #7 chart spot.
Well considering the amount of bad press he's received in the last few weeks anything inside the top 10 would be a triumph. Do you genuinely believe he's racist? I'm just curious.

Well have you seen The National’s sales? Really poor. But their chart position was really good, so in a way it is more about chart position than sales ;) In the end that’s all that matters.

Not sure what their sales were but they can fill arenas up and down the UK along with Castlefield Bowl. The new album is nowhere near as good as Sleep well beast though.

Well considering the amount of bad press he's received in the last few weeks anything inside the top 10 would be a triumph. Do you genuinely believe he's racist? I'm just curious.

There’s so many layers to racism, most of us are probably subconsciously racist on some level, and I’m not just talking about us ‘Whites’ vs the world, I’m mean every single race of people probably hold some subconscious racism towards all the other races. We’re too tribal & naturally animalistic for that not to be true. The same instincts are buried within us all, it just depends if something along the way triggers those feelings to come to the surface.

I don’t know if Morrissey is acting out those instincts, I mean your actions define you. And he’s said some very questionable things about other races. We, including myself, apologise for him. I mean, is he an ‘aggressive’ racist? No, he’s not gonna go out in the middle of the street and call a black guy a n*****. But he’s aligned himself with a racist party. And they are racist, to deny that is just brainless. I’d say he’s not racist but his actions are, so call him naive, stupid, I dunno how to explain his recent actions.

There’s so many layers to racism, most of us are probably subconsciously racist on some level, and I’m not just talking about us ‘Whites’ vs the world, I’m mean every single race of people probably hold some subconscious racism towards all the other races. We’re too tribal & naturally animalistic for that not to be true. The same instincts are buried within us all, it just depends if something along the way triggers those feelings to come to the surface.

I don’t know if Morrissey is acting out those instincts, I mean your actions define you. And he’s said some very questionable things about other races. We, including myself, apologise for him. I mean, is he an ‘aggressive’ racist? No, he’s not gonna go out in the middle of the street and call a black guy a n*****. But he’s aligned himself with a racist party. And they are racist, to deny that is just brainless. I’d say he’s not racist but his actions are, so call him naive, stupid, I dunno how to explain his recent actions.

... probably one of the biggest anthems of the American civil rights movement... I guess it is safe to assume that you won't be hearing this song at ANY right-wing or racist rally. Nor in the album of a racist singer... sometimes the real truth is easier that the "truth" of the journalists.

Also the reviews in the US (Rolling Stone, Variety) have been a lot more generous.

Yes, even the Pitchfork review, a close 3out of 5, was better than what he got from most of the Brittish papiers.
And Pitchfork is not on record for liking Morrissey too much.

... probably one of the biggest anthems of the American civil rights movement... I guess it is safe to assume that you won't be hearing this song at ANY right-wing or racist rally. Nor in the album of a racist singer... sometimes the real truth is easier that the "truth" of the journalists.

What a lame argument. Covers a Bob Dylan song so that clears him. He’s aligned himself with a racist movement in the U.K. FYI I just said I don’t think he’s intentionally being racist, but his actions are.

There was a good post on here a few days ago, can’t remember who wrote it, about the Manchester Bombings and how it could’ve triggered morrisseys current state of mind.
But, when all’s said, for me to call him a racist for siding with For Britain, is lame. And for you to clear him simply for covering a Dylan song, is doubly lame.
Truth is, none of us know if he is or isn’t. He probably doesn’t even know himself.

What a lame argument. Covers a Bob Dylan song so that clears him. He’s aligned himself with a racist movement in the U.K. FYI I just said I don’t think he’s intentionally being racist, but his actions are.

There was a good post on here a few days ago, can’t remember who wrote it, about the Manchester Bombings and how it could’ve triggered morrisseys current state of mind.
But, when all’s said, for me to call him a racist for siding with For Britain, is lame. And for you to clear him simply for covering a Dylan song, is doubly lame.
Truth is, none of us know if he is or isn’t. He probably doesn’t even know himself.
To love your country is now seen as a racist crime. Nationalism goes against the globalisation agenda which is about merging all cultures to create one culture: consumerism culture. It's easier to sell to one worldwide culture where everybody is the same.

To love your country is now seen as a racist crime. Nationalism goes against the globalisation agenda which is about merging all cultures to create one culture: consumerism culture. It's easier to sell to one worldwide culture where everybody is the same.

Loves his country, does he? Where does he live again? He picks and chooses when to love and hate his country. He’s not even in the thick of it. He’s living in luxury out of the way and pipes up whenever there’s controversy to be had or a new album to plug.

He definitely isn’t, but he likes to offend people by flirting with the ‘far right’ I think. He also did so briefly in 1992, got in a little bit of problems but after 1994 all was forgiven.

Now there’s a rise of populism all over Europe and all his ‘enemies’ in the British press are on the left, so what better way to wind them up than by joining the other camp. And most importantly their leader is an animal welfare-activist, a feminist, a lesbian and an agnostic. No wonder Moz was/is intrigued.

However it’s gotten a little out of hand and as I said before the sooner he leaves this political phase behind him the better as far as I am concerned.

He certainly knows and most people assumes that he is some sort of lunatic driven by weird impulses that follow no logic.
He is clearly obsessed with the American Civil Rights movement since a long time ago... thus the fact that he recorded this song is not so surprising.

I.e,

... Making his band play with "Return of the Black Panthers" T-Shirts... which is somehow reminiscent of Patti Smith
Or his well-known use of the image of Dick Gregory as a backdrop in his concerts...

dick-gregory-60s-photo.jpg

I think he is clever enough as to unite the dots between "Black Panthers" and Dick Gregory and a song that was played before Martin Luther King gave his most famous speech. Do those actions suggest something to you???

He definitely isn’t, but he likes to offend people by flirting with the ‘far right’ I think. He also did so briefly in 1992 a little, got in a little bit of problems but after 1994 all was forgiven.

Now there’s a rise of populism all over Europe and all his ‘enemies’ in the British press are on the left, so what better way to wind them up than by joining the other camp. And most importantly their leader is an animal welfare-activist, a feminist, a lesbian and an agnostic. No wonder Moz was/is intrigued.

However it’s gotten a little out of hand and as I said before the sooner he leaves this political phase behind him the better as far as I am concerned.

To say he definitely isn’t is probably the most naive thing to say. You actually don’t know. You probagky don’t even know if you are. Seriously some people need to read up on unconscious racism, or buy a Sam Harris book once in a while. Racism is not so black and white, (no pun at all), and not always so transparent. I’m guessing you’re white? And your family’s white? Imagine your daughter came home one day with a new boyfriend, walks in wearing a black dress, a turban, a 6ft grey beard. You’d instinctively have a feeling of “woah!”, you might even feel ashamed and shocked that you had that reaction, but it would be there.

Back
Top Bottom