When did charming become cranky? Why a middle-aged Morrissey is so hard to love - The Guardian

Another Guardian clickbait article about Morrissey's middle-aged madness.

Yawn. Full of the usual types bemoaning the fact a man in his late 50s tends not to be the same as one in his 20s.

When did charming become cranky? Why a middle-aged Morrissey is so hard to love - The Guardian
by Dorian Lynskey
As a new biopic England is Mine charts the Smiths singer’s early life, fans speak of their disillusion at his increasingly outspoken views

UPDATE July 23:

Posted by Uncleskinny:

Here's the full page from today's Observer - notably, in the main 'News' section rather than the Review or Arts section.

40407_observer_20170723.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay this defines "Mozbot" "logic."
You find it hard to believe "anyone" would go through the trouble of telling a lie? So everything anyone says is more likely true because lies are inconvenient?
Also video can't help us judge whether or not the story is true, but even if it could what really matters is not the facts but how "M" felt?
And we're unlikely to be able to feel the same... this seems sort of preemptive. It's almost as if you're planning for an excuse in case video ever does turn up.
Of course it won't because any video that anyone attempted to upload would be "intercepted."

'You find it hard to believe "anyone" would go through the trouble of telling a lie?

Sorry, you're right there, I should have wrote M instead of 'anyone'.

So, We are discussing police and their abuse of power, and we are discussing M's recent experience in Italy. Or ... What would he benefit from making up this incident?
And why would he lie, especially if he knows there is video and most likely it will be posted. (Why no video has yet to be posted is still up for debate, but I'd rather not take the easy lazy road and jump to conclusions).
Again, what would M benefit from making up this incident? As I've said before, something must have happened that bothered M enough that he would cancel shows, where he will lose the opportunity to reach fans and lose the trust of business partnerships and of course, as Uncleskinny should have pointed out... lose money. So... why?

'Also video can't help us judge whether or not the story is true, but even if it could what really matters is not the facts but how "M" felt?'

Nope never said ANY of that.

What I said is yes we can see what's happening (as in if the incident happened or not), but to try and understand why M said what he did, we ourselves I think would need to have had a similar experience to make a fair judgement if he was or was not blowing things out of proportion. So, no, I never said that a video would not prove if the incident happened or not.

'And we're unlikely to be able to feel the same'

Nope.
I said in my post ....
'even if we did see video of the incident, it'll be difficult for people to judge if they themselves have never experienced police brutality or abuse of power enforced on them.'

So, how can anyone really feel the same if they themselves have not been through some similar experience. And how can anyone make a fair judgment that what he said and did was right or wrong in the way the police treated him, if the ones who are judging have not themselves experienced similar incidents of police brutality or abuse of power enforced on them.

'anyone attempted to upload would be "intercepted."'

:lbf: no, I never said these videos were 'intercepted'. I was just throwing ideas/a view out there that was different then taking the easy route of calling someone a liar simply because no videos have yet to be posted.

Anyways, since there is no FB post account of the incident, we all know now that Ed Wood made up the whole story by starting that thread!!! :clap::clap::clap: And not only did we fall for it, but also M and the Italian police department believed it happened too ! AMAZING!

case closed.

:tiphat:

It's a story from Autobiography, which may or may not be true, wherein Morrissey escapes a kidnap attempt using the cunning technique of asking the kidnapper to stop the car.

Morrissey, his tour manager and his bodyguard book a taxi to take them over the US border (more likely to the border, but Morrissey says across) from the El Foro concert hall in Tijuana. Morrissey seems to believe that this should be a four-minute drive. It's actually about 15 minutes to the border, according to Google maps. After 20 minutes, Morrissey decides something is not right and screams to be let out of the car. The car stops and he and his companions get out. Morrissey appears convinced he was being kidnapped, and give the impression that he ended up on some isolated desert highway, although this is not really possible within anything like 20 mins. He would still be somewhere in Tijuana.

Who knows what actually happened, but I don't think the normal MO of Mexican kidnappers is to let people go if that's what they demand.

nah, I was just laughing at the interpretation of the story that anon gave ('lost cabbie'), and yours is interesting too. Though really, does anyone get paid enough by M to not speak up and tell him not to worry that this is not a kidnapping? I mean, the manager (according to M) thought it was odd they were in the car that long, and the manager also said he too thought it was a kidnapping.

'After 20 minutes, Morrissey decides something is not right and screams to be let out of the car. The car stops and he and his companions get out. Morrissey appears convinced he was being kidnapped, and give the impression that he ended up on some isolated desert highway, although this is not really possible within anything like 20 mins. He would still be somewhere in Tijuana.'

No, that's not true (according to the book, page 430 soft cover edition)
Because you forgot to take into account this information 'He makes a sudden and dramatic swerve from the freeway exit and continues into highland darkness' and this was after they were driving for 20 minutes. And that's when M demands to be let out. So they could have been much farther out, and so it would be difficult to calculate where they actually ended up.

'I don't think the normal MO of Mexican kidnappers is to let people go if that's what they demand.'

well, three against one, it could be possible.

But, then again...

'Who knows what actually happened'

yes, you're right, WE DON'T.

This is the second time in a really short timespan The Guardian expresses their bias, dislike and already usual negative comment about Morrissey.

There must be a reason and it appears the attitude of saying he is irrelevant, old, a has been and not of any artistic value, doesn't work.
They seem afraid there is an appeal which they want to damage.

So they get back at all the controversial things that they can explore, twist and spin. They can of course.
They are politically motivated and arranging a mood of trying to shut people up if they are not on their side. Propaganda style like in the USSR.

In fact they are cowardly hiding behind opinions of so-called fans that are disillusioned but they are not really saying what they think.

You never know how the winds will turn and journalists are more concerned with staying in contact with the powers that be, but they haven't got a clue at the moment when that powers are actually moving into the direction of BREXIT as was decided democratically. 99% of the journalists want to be part of the power, to have the same authority, the same status.
But even those powers are no guarantee anymore. And they know it.

As if Moz ever was charming and that was what made him big.
Come on, such an insult!

I do not understand why Dorian Lynskey from The Guardian unrolls a black carpet by reporting all the statements of Mr. Morrissey one more time (I hate to call people whom I like only by their name)… whereas he has said nothing these days (he is obviously in “catatonic mode”… one can understand)… So… I will not try to hold forth of the long hours about the motivations of Lynskey (I like to call an idiot person only by his name).

It is nevertheless odd. Finally, nobody knows exactly what Mr. Morrissey thinks. Ah no no no, he has never discussed, he has never developed one point of view, he made only disagreeable and amoral statements for the society (in which state of mind, nobody knows : impulsiveness, real dislike? But these conditions are even reproached), he has never really said all what their words recovered. Ah no no no, do not tell me that all those who followed closely his career during X years really know him very well. Already that one never knows really his close relations! Apparently, Mr. Morrissey crossed the red line for everyone in this healthy place named Rome. The devil prowled in the city that day but a guardian angel took care. Finally the driver could have killed somebody (that has been said and this is the only moral to do of the history); the policeman could have killed somebody with a stray bullet (that was not known as, since it appears that he never pulled gun on him according to the trade union… which was not on the spot to assert or preempt the statement of their colleague…)

So, go hop! General inspection of the personality of Mr. Morrissey via this last article online and everyone puts at it taking heart! And paf! Take this, take that! Those which see him as the devil give him blows; those which see him as the Lord give him blows (and yes… through being taken for the Lord himself, it’s normal that people want to break his mouth (more exactly “casser la gueule”), they have so much claims to make!). Let us recapitulate: Mr. Morrissey is “bad”, “alienated”, “anguished”, “defective”, “insecurized”, “embarrassing”,… Oh drat! I stop with the first comments. In this bullfight, the animal is already on the ground. Apparently, into the life, all is retrievable except death… and Mr. Morrissey! Under all angles, finally he is judged and scorned.

Go go, no morality from me. Instead of morality which could be heard like a blahblahblah… blahblah… blah… bl… b…, a song of Hubert Félix Thiéfaine :

“While my enemies amnesty their conscience,
That my former friends make fall their sentence,
The ice-cold citizens tremble in their brain
When the lucid tramps turn over to their dustbin…
I go away this evening, peaceful and quiet
On the arm of the first virgin beauty fallen from the Skies.
Yes, I go away this evening.“

Finally, yes! A small morality for all these right-thinking people who wrote their comments.

Without to have made an irrevocable act, everyone will leave, anyway, peaceful and quiet with what he believes being right and not right, with its stupidities caught up, or not, its regrets and its remorses, even if during this time, “the others continue to cut themselves up in the joy and to manipulate themselves in hatred” (still HFT). In waiting, do not disturb my hell called “Earth” with norms of behaviour which bring, purportedly, to the well-being of the common conscience and to the idyllic paradise, whereas each one made, at least once, an objectionable action or behaviour known of only one minority because one is not famous.

'You find it hard to believe "anyone" would go through the trouble of telling a lie?

Sorry, you're right there, I should have wrote M instead of 'anyone'.

So, We are discussing police and their abuse of power, and we are discussing M's recent experience in Italy. Or ... What would he benefit from making up this incident?
And why would he lie, especially if he knows there is video and most likely it will be posted. (Why no video has yet to be posted is still up for debate, but I'd rather not take the easy lazy road and jump to conclusions).
Again, what would M benefit from making up this incident? As I've said before, something must have happened that bothered M enough that he would cancel shows, where he will lose the opportunity to reach fans and lose the trust of business partnerships and of course, as Uncleskinny should have pointed out... lose money. So... why?

'Also video can't help us judge whether or not the story is true, but even if it could what really matters is not the facts but how "M" felt?'

Nope never said ANY of that.

What I said is yes we can see what's happening (as in if the incident happened or not), but to try and understand why M said what he did, we ourselves I think would need to have had a similar experience to make a fair judgement if he was or was not blowing things out of proportion. So, no, I never said that a video would not prove if the incident happened or not.

'And we're unlikely to be able to feel the same'

Nope.
I said in my post ....
'even if we did see video of the incident, it'll be difficult for people to judge if they themselves have never experienced police brutality or abuse of power enforced on them.'

So, how can anyone really feel the same if they themselves have not been through some similar experience. And how can anyone make a fair judgment that what he said and did was right or wrong in the way the police treated him, if the ones who are judging have not themselves experienced similar incidents of police brutality or abuse of power enforced on them.

'anyone attempted to upload would be "intercepted."'

:lbf: no, I never said these videos were 'intercepted'. I was just throwing ideas/a view out there that was different then taking the easy route of calling someone a liar simply because no videos have yet to be posted.

Anyways, since there is no FB post account of the incident, we all know now that Ed Wood made up the whole story by starting that thread!!! :clap::clap::clap: And not only did we fall for it, but also M and the Italian police department believed it happened too ! AMAZING!

case closed.

Woodie, so much to answer for! :(
He is hiding in the woods and giggling! :D

'After 20 minutes, Morrissey decides something is not right and screams to be let out of the car. The car stops and he and his companions get out. Morrissey appears convinced he was being kidnapped, and give the impression that he ended up on some isolated desert highway, although this is not really possible within anything like 20 mins. He would still be somewhere in Tijuana.'

No, that's not true (according to the book, page 430 soft cover edition)
Because you forgot to take into account this information 'He makes a sudden and dramatic swerve from the freeway exit and continues into highland darkness' and this was after they were driving for 20 minutes. And that's when M demands to be let out. So they could have been much farther out, and so it would be difficult to calculate where they actually ended up.

Yes it's after, but immediately after. Basically, unarmed cabbies don't kidnap groups of adult males, and kidnappers don't normally release their victims just because they express their desire to be let go forcefully. What happens quite a lot, all over the world, it taxi journeys taking a bit longer than the passenger expects.

A two-hour wait at the border crossing in downtown Tijuana is not unusual if you are in a car, particularly late a night. If Morrissey asked to be taken across the border, as he says he did, then it's probably likely that the driver was taking him to the Otay crossing a few miles east or even maybe the Tecate crossing, which is a bit of a drive, but you can often just go straight across there.

Yes it's after, but immediately after. Basically, unarmed cabbies don't kidnap groups of adult males, and kidnappers don't normally release their victims just because they express their desire to be let go forcefully. What happens quite a lot, all over the world, it taxi journeys taking a bit longer than the passenger expects.

A two-hour wait at the border crossing in downtown Tijuana is not unusual if you are in a car, particularly late a night. If Morrissey asked to be taken across the border, as he says he did, then it's probably likely that the driver was taking him to the Otay crossing a few miles east or even maybe the Tecate crossing, which is a bit of a drive, but you can often just go straight across there.

About that 'detour' being immediately after, it's hard to say, it could only be a guess on anyone's part. I think it's best to say, and the most logical route for anyone to take, would be as you said in your other post...

''Who knows what actually happened''

but I still find it hard to swallow that as the other anon said that the cab driver was lost or M was over reacting, mere speculation is not truth or a fact, if it can't be proven.

I do not understand why Dorian Lynskey from The Guardian unrolls a black carpet by reporting all the statements of Mr. Morrissey one more time (I hate to call people whom I like only by their name)… whereas he has said nothing these days (he is obviously in “catatonic mode”… one can understand)… So… I will not try to hold forth of the long hours about the motivations of Lynskey (I like to call an idiot person only by his name).

It is nevertheless odd. Finally, nobody knows exactly what Mr. Morrissey thinks. Ah no no no, he has never discussed, he has never developed one point of view, he made only disagreeable and amoral statements for the society (in which state of mind, nobody knows : impulsiveness, real dislike? But these conditions are even reproached), he has never really said all what their words recovered. Ah no no no, do not tell me that all those who followed closely his career during X years really know him very well. Already that one never knows really his close relations! Apparently, Mr. Morrissey crossed the red line for everyone in this healthy place named Rome. The devil prowled in the city that day but a guardian angel took care. Finally the driver could have killed somebody (that has been said and this is the only moral to do of the history); the policeman could have killed somebody with a stray bullet (that was not known as, since it appears that he never pulled gun on him according to the trade union… which was not on the spot to assert or preempt the statement of their colleague…)

So, go hop! General inspection of the personality of Mr. Morrissey via this last article online and everyone puts at it taking heart! And paf! Take this, take that! Those which see him as the devil give him blows; those which see him as the Lord give him blows (and yes… through being taken for the Lord himself, it’s normal that people want to break his mouth (more exactly “casser la gueule”), they have so much claims to make!). Let us recapitulate: Mr. Morrissey is “bad”, “alienated”, “anguished”, “defective”, “insecurized”, “embarrassing”,… Oh drat! I stop with the first comments. In this bullfight, the animal is already on the ground. Apparently, into the life, all is retrievable except death… and Mr. Morrissey! Under all angles, finally he is judged and scorned.

Go go, no morality from me. Instead of morality which could be heard like a blahblahblah… blahblah… blah… bl… b…, a song of Hubert Félix Thiéfaine :

Finally, yes! A small morality for all these right-thinking people who wrote their comments.

Without to have made an irrevocable act, everyone will leave, anyway, peaceful and quiet with what he believes being right and not right, with its stupidities caught up, or not, its regrets and its remorses, even if during this time, “the others continue to cut themselves up in the joy and to manipulate themselves in hatred” (still HFT). In waiting, do not disturb my hell called “Earth” with norms of behaviour which bring, purportedly, to the well-being of the common conscience and to the idyllic paradise, whereas each one made, at least once, an objectionable action or behaviour known of only one minority because one is not famous.

please more !!! this place needs more posts like yours! :pray::pray::pray::thumb:

The Guardian, again.

Why do people think that their criticisms are going to change a person ?

people, simply move on if you don't like what you see or if you think a person does things in a way that you wouldn't or believe is wrong.

Why all the :drama: ?

it's so simple !

Maybe they don't want to change him. They want to make of him an example to not follow by others. I hope this witch hunt doesn't pay them, in the same way they didn't succeed with Brexit.

I can't see the point of having it in for Morrissey, since he is not a politician or something related. Unless someone somewhere is very upset by his songs or his re-issues.

Morrissey sings and talks. He doesn't bomb, he doesn't kill, he doesn't have political or economical power. Why don't they just ignore him as they do with lots of artists? Why? Why? Why? :confused:

Last edited:
The Guardian, again.

Maybe they don't want to change him. They want to make of him an example to not follow by others. I hope this witch hunt doesn't pay them, in the same way they didn't succeed with Brexit.

I can't see the point of having it in for Morrissey, since he is not a politician or something related. Unless someone somewhere is very upset by his songs or his re-issues.

Morrissey sings and talks. He doesn't bomb, he doesn't kill, he doesn't have political or economical power. Why don't they just ignore him as they do with lots of artists? Why? Why? Why? :confused:

'Morrissey sings and talks. He doesn't bomb, he doesn't kill, he doesn't have political or economical power. Why don't they just ignore him as they do with lots of artists? Why? Why? Why?'

Because M IS NOT like other 'artists', and basically they can't ignore him because....

THEY CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT HIM. :straightface:

:rock:

"It is fair to say that Morrissey is peevish, prickly, narcissistic, unmanageable and self-pitying"

Geez, don't hold back, Guardian.

I don't see anyone here trying to change Morrissey; implying this is ridiculous.

Most people who are critical of what Morrissey has become are simply pointing out the obvious.

The people who get upset with these critiques are the snowflakes like you who believe Morrissey is infallible and not able to be criticized.

The snowflakes here cannot handle the fact that people can still like Morrissey and be critical and harsh on him. This is what's beautiful about free speech.

Morrissey hasnt changed that much, he just stopped hiding his true self as much or at least his friends stopped protecting him as much. Mix this with more and more puril publicity stunts and you have what we have now. Lyricaly he started being bad when he aimed for the yankee market ( they are too clever) and get worse again when he aimed for the South American market
The thing is he didn't have to bland himself, he was bigger in the usa when he was interesting, look at the old 90s footage.

I agree that this guardian article is better than the singer from Genes back stabbing effort. All Martin was doing was using morrissey to get attention, like he always has.
Its just such a dishonest artical, Martines
The way he pretend he just happens to share members of the audience.
Thats because his act was " Im a moz superfan ".
The guy was always a joke he couldnt even take on Brett and Jarvis let alone the actual greats.
Its not morrisseys fault martin has never been anything like him and that martin got it wrong
It's also worth noting its martin who comes from a nearly all white town in wales and now lives in one of the most white cities in the England ( Brighton)
As for morals martin paid no money towards his own kids. The guy is a f***ing idiot.

Morrissey creates and sings songs, he never agreed to be your best friend. Some of these Moz haters seem to be bitter. No he will not become a godparent to your slo Joe.

"It is fair to say that Morrissey is peevish, prickly, narcissistic, unmanageable and self-pitying"

Geez, don't hold back, Guardian.

They are focussing on and exaggerating all the negative sides they want to see, but they don't answer the question how it is possible someone as bad and evil as they seem to think is capable of and produced some of the most brilliant and touching music ever.

If they think it is fair to say the things they said, it is is unfair to neglect the possible many other qualities that lead to his music.
They don't even touch that subject.
Why? Cause they haven't a clue.
Not really interested that much.
Easier to despise him and reject him.

That is not what a highly respected, cultural and liberal unbiased institution should do. They are, or were influential, informative on a broad spectrum of culture and music. But now there is a definite political force shining through that decides what is good and what is bad.
They can be very critical but not biassed.

'Morrissey sings and talks. He doesn't bomb, he doesn't kill, he doesn't have political or economical power. Why don't they just ignore him as they do with lots of artists? Why? Why? Why?'

Because M IS NOT like other 'artists', and basically they can't ignore him because....

THEY CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT HIM. :straightface:

:rock:

Well, if they want to feel closer to him, they should try ignoring him. I don't know what does Morrissey feel about the way this news site/paper is treating him, maybe he enjoys press attention or maybe he feels they are harassing him. Who knows? Personally, I don't like it, but I already am resigned to be part of the minority of everything.

Please get the f*** off this site and live your lives. I just visited and can't believe how f***ed up you all are.

i think some people just hate it when they see a person who is successful and manages to keep their principles and doesnt feel like they owe anything to anyone because of it. in some peoples minds there are two ways to be successful: 1) sell out, or 2) if you manage to not sell out you must be eternally indebted to those around you who helped you be successful without having to sell out. they just cant stand that he's his own man, that he's had the luxury or being both succesful and true to his beliefs.

This is the second time in a really short timespan The Guardian expresses their bias, dislike and already usual negative comment about Morrissey.

There must be a reason and it appears the attitude of saying he is irrelevant, old, a has been and not of any artistic value, doesn't work.
They seem afraid there is an appeal which they want to damage.

So they get back at all the controversial things that they can explore, twist and spin. They can of course.
They are politically motivated and arranging a mood of trying to shut people up if they are not on their side. Propaganda style like in the USSR.

In fact they are cowardly hiding behind opinions of so-called fans that are disillusioned but they are not really saying what they think.

You never know how the winds will turn and journalists are more concerned with staying in contact with the powers that be, but they haven't got a clue at the moment when that powers are actually moving into the direction of BREXIT as was decided democratically. 99% of the journalists want to be part of the power, to have the same authority, the same status.
But even those powers are no guarantee anymore. And they know it.

As if Moz ever was charming and that was what made him big.
Come on, such an insult!
Did the same person write both stories?
No
Can you find similar stories in papers and magazines that are not The Guardian?
Yes

Therefore, maybe the reason this type of story seems familiar is because there is some validity to it. It's possible that people that have been following Morrissey a while, as well as people who never heard of him before but do a little research, might come to the conclusion that a typical Morrissey statement nowadays reads like something from the comments section of The Daily Mail.
Or do you find it more likely that newspaper editors have determined that their needs are best served by being hostile to Morrissey for no reason at all?
When you have a person who repeatedly trolls the press and his audience with statements using words like "subspecies" or comparing the deaths of young people to a typical lunch hour at McDonald's I think it is more likely that it's his fault that these sorts of articles are so easy to write.
I'm not saying they are great journalism but given that he won't actually sit down with anyone, most likely because he might start ranting about the floodgates having been opened and the country being destroyed by immigrants, and given that he manages to keep his name in the news, rarely for music, always for some insane provocation, why should they write some fawning article that an ever decreasing number of people would want to read? The fans won't like any story about Morrissey posted anywhere. Julie from "15 Minutes With You" writes these interesting, informative pieces and people here want to lynch her. But most of the public do not own a Morrissey record but know him as this comical sort of crackpot who pops up every once in a while to make some new outrageous statement and make them all clutch the pearls. Those people don't care to ever hear his music but he entertains them in a different way.
Do you know the real purpose of these articles? They are the space in between the advertisements. Hardly any newspaper makes a profit from sales and subscriptions. They make the money from advertising. Most are going broke anyway so they need to be increasingly troll-like, and Morrissey fits that purpose perfectly.
Now you're not going to read about him in the papers in the US unless he is on tour but in England where he is still famous, and where people have an even greater need to feign outrage, he's perfect. Say something about the Queen and people can read about it while they're having breakfast. It works for him because his real priority, no matter how many tantrums he throws about it, is not to sell more records. It is to have people talking about him. And it's just as rewarding to have the "wrong" people despise you as it is to have the right people love you. I think in his mind he's the Sex Pistols saying "f***" on television when he offends some old granny who still reads the paper.
So don't blame the journalists. What else are they supposed to say about him?

I think the final bit of the article hits the nail on the head. When Morrissey passes, all that controversy will be a footnote in the obituaries as the tributes are rolled out. There'll be the comments of "Morrissey was a c**t, but The Smiths were my adolescence" and the like, but it's that latter bit which will stick, I think.
Yes but... why leave dead bodies behind when you can bring people happily along with you instead? We have all heard countless examples where Moz treated people badly throughout his life. Life is a journey, not a destination, and there are more important things in life than number of top tens and how many crazed fans still love you after you're dead. Of course you only ever hear the bad news, so perhaps Moz is a pure gent and only snubs people who try to force him to do things. As a crazed fan I find it hard to be objective.
Anyway, it's all publicity for Moz and I'd say he loves these articles because it is better than the void of disinterest. It also manages to advertise the October reissue of The Queen Is Dead, so it will probably make some money for Moz in the end.

Nathalie, you are an excellent writer. Sorry I missed this wonderful post before. You are right, we all usually forget that behind the controversy there is neither more nor less than a human being. Neither a god nor a devil.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom