When did Johnny Marr last write a piece of music as euphoric as INY Birthday Anymore

When did Marr last write a piece of music as euphoric as 'It's Not Your Birthday...'

• Total voters
Re: When did Johnny Marr last write a piece of music as euphoric as INY Birthday Anym

Can't argue with Moz's success relative to Marr's post-Smiths, or the fact that Moz has done far more quality songs that Marr, but it was always going to happen.
Morrissey was the face of The Smiths, and was going to get the most attention from the fans, and being the vocalist, could afford to swap and change the band he worked with. Johnny Marr had to find a new niche and band to play with to be successful, but being a guitarist, you can't hire and fire people as you please, as Moz has done, and you at least need one other permanent bandmate, the vocalist, to really gain success, which again Moz had.

Anyways, respect to a fellow Tamesider, I'm from Trashton.

Your theory doesn't quite work as Morrissey has tended to work with the same people for a long time. It's been Marr who has chopped and changed his collaborators much more frequently, whether he's the boss or not.

Re: When did Johnny Marr last write a piece of music as euphoric as INY Birthday Anym

Your theory doesn't quite work as Morrissey has tended to work with the same people for a long time. It's been Marr who has chopped and changed his collaborators much more frequently, whether he's the boss or not.

My point was that Morrissey could afford to change bandmates more often than Marr and still be successful, not that he has changed bandmates more than Marr. I was just putting further emphasis on Moz having a better post-Smiths career in an indirect way, whilst saying it's harder for Marr.

I would nominate Even A Child, which he co-wrote with Neil Finn on the most recent Crowded House album, Time On Earth. Classic Marr sound. He also plays guitar on the gorgeous Don't Stop Now on the same album.

Back
Top Bottom