When did Morrissey and Jake break up?

It's very nice and romantic (and way too naive and teenager-like, so to say) to complain and reject the idea of labels. But it's part of human nature, you can't escape from it. You use labels. Ketamine use labels. Imagine you talk to a friend who tries to tell you about this great new band. What style they play? By labels, you might not pinpoint the sound exactly, but you can get a closer idea. Or you want to go out for dinner. What do you want to eat? You need labels (chinese, Vegetarian, steak diner, streetfood, fish etc etc) to get closer. And I could carry on with zillion examples. it's the same with sexuality: there's only so many places where the man can put his penis. There's a name for each choice, even the illegal/evil ways, too. Biologically everyone fits into one of these labels. You can't escape it (except if you reject sex completely, which also a choice).
Making up a new word to blur your orientation is neither creative, nor artistic, nothing, just laughable. As for Morrissey: if he doesn't want to be the flagship for any sexual community, fine, he can stay silent on his orientation. What I have always found pathetic in him is that sure, his sex life is nobody's business. But he is the one who always brought up this topic in lyrics, in interviews, many times. It's as if you were standing on your doorstep, shouting on the street ''hey people!!! I have something to say of my sex life!!!!'' Then, when people ask, so, what is it? You tell them ''well, it's none of your business, i don't understand why you ask me this question''.

First of all, I understand your arguments and of course we need labels in a functional way and I can even understand people wishing to know the sexual preferences of other people for whatever reason.
Might be also just curiosity that doesn't need to be satisfied, if people want to keep it private.

The thing is, for someone like Moz, in his view, as I presume, as an artist, he doesn't like to give any direct answers about some of his personal life. He just hates that and everything that is about him as a person he saves for his music and lyrics. It's just he needs to say things in a nondirective way.
It has changed a bit through the years and some of his songs are now very direct, but it is all in the music.
To keep the mystery where it should be, according to him, in his lyrics and music.

I think he needs to do that as an artist cause if he would answer all direct questions about it very directly too, there wouldn't be any interest left and it would dry up the well he is tapping from and it would damage the connection he has with his fans. I presume that deep inside it is such a very important issue for him. More so than other singers and songwriters. He has stated before how important it is for him to be on that stage and make that connection.

The thing about the labels is that I personnaly found out at a very influential age, around 19 years, that many labels being put upon people were misleading. Well, they were too me. Not judging everyone who says something completely different.
I come from a very average working class or lower middle class family. I don't know exactly how to put it cause in England the class system is so much more difficult to understand.

Here in Holland there seemed to be less classes and there were more contacts between those.
At 19 I went to art school and it was the nicest period of my life. I encountered so many different people from all over the world, students and teachers and they were from any skin colour, religion, sexual preference, gender and part of the world I could think of. And they were interesting people for me and I shall never forget that despite of all the differences I could make a connection with all those people very easily.

You are a musician and I think you know what I mean cause you will have played music with other musicians and have experienced the same when they were good musicians and you made a connection with them.

At the art school we had something in common and that was to create art and be an artist. The aspirations were the same.
Even language problems didn't prevent that.
It could be anything we talked about and had in common. Whether it was painting, etching, photography, literature, philosophy, filming, acting, music.
I know it was nonspecic to how society was in those days.
Most people never had any contacts with people from so many different cultures and parts of the world.
I am just trying to convince you I am not stuck in some ideal romantic teenage idealistic dreamworld.
It was very real and a multicultural isle in society. But for me a nice one and without the negative sides that are attached to it in these times.
Cheers musician!

It's very nice and romantic (and way too naive and teenager-like, so to say) to complain and reject the idea of labels. But it's part of human nature, you can't escape from it. You use labels. Ketamine use labels. Imagine you talk to a friend who tries to tell you about this great new band. What style they play? By labels, you might not pinpoint the sound exactly, but you can get a closer idea. Or you want to go out for dinner. What do you want to eat? You need labels (chinese, Vegetarian, steak diner, streetfood, fish etc etc) to get closer. And I could carry on with zillion examples. it's the same with sexuality: there's only so many places where the man can put his penis. There's a name for each choice, even the illegal/evil ways, too. Biologically everyone fits into one of these labels. You can't escape it (except if you reject sex completely, which also a choice).
Making up a new word to blur your orientation is neither creative, nor artistic, nothing, just laughable. As for Morrissey: if he doesn't want to be the flagship for any sexual community, fine, he can stay silent on his orientation. What I have always found pathetic in him is that sure, his sex life is nobody's business. But he is the one who always brought up this topic in lyrics, in interviews, many times. It's as if you were standing on your doorstep, shouting on the street ''hey people!!! I have something to say of my sex life!!!!'' Then, when people ask, so, what is it? You tell them ''well, it's none of your business, i don't understand why you ask me this question''.

'blur his orientation'? I'm sorry it's been blurred for you, what was his orientation when it was all clear for you? :lbf: :straightface:

There is nothing whatsoever laughable about self invention knowing who you are and living with the identity of your own choosing. I'm sure there are a lot among the gay community that would agree with this. I find it pathetic that someone would find something that self empowering 'laughable'. :straightface:

But I don't see any mystery behind it. I don't see him hiding anything. Or are you looking for something that I'm not? are you expecting to see something that is there/not there? And afraid you'll be disappointed when you find that in fact he is what he claims to be... and that is HUMASEXUAL. He hasn't remained 'silent' about his orientation... he has already claimed and loudly stated that he is... HUMASEXUAL. I don't understand what people are not getting.... well, you're definitely not getting him ! :brows: and he IS ALL you need, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

Last edited:
'blur his orientation'? I'm sorry it's been blurred for you, what was his orientation when it was all clear for you? :lbf: :straightface:

There is nothing whatsoever laughable about self invention knowing who you are and living with the identity of your own choosing. I'm sure there are a lot among the gay community that would agree with this. I find it pathetic that someone would find something that self empowering 'laughable'. :straightface:

But I don't see any mystery behind it. I don't see him hiding anything. Or are you looking for something that I'm not? are you expecting to see something that is there/not there? And afraid you'll be disappointed when you find that in fact he is what he claims to be... and that is HUMASEXUAL. He hasn't remained 'silent' about his orientation... he has already claimed and loudly stated that he is... HUMASEXUAL. I don't understand what people are not getting.... well, you're definitely not getting him ! :brows: and he IS ALL you need, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

The whole humasexual thing is "really laughable."

As i replied in another thread, i cüme here trying to have civilised conversation with fellow fans. It is hard with bots with blinders in like you, when you (as opposed to Quandox3) don't read what I write, just shoot your canned defense of a millionaire you don't even know.

I am not looking for, or expecting anything. Please take time and re-read my post if you feel like reacting, because I already stated this clearly.

Me too.
And, as I understand it, he sees all other people as huma-sexual. Initially I didn't like the term as it seemed just another label adding one to the many already existing. Why make all those labels? Why the need to distinguish people especially on their sexual preferences. They are all people. Nature is responsible for that and that is such a great power. Religions, governments, dictators can persecute people with different sexual preferences, but they can't dictate sexual preferences. Many people have died for what they just are. If you think about it, it is still f***ing unbelievable, horrible and tragic. And many were innocent of any supposed sexual orientation.

I can't remember he has stated any negative remarks on people who identified themselves with minority groups. Never criticised gay rights movements. He just considers everyone humasexual.
I can't understand why he gets so much criticism for that.

I think there were pressures to come out of the closet and he didn't want to become a hero for the gay rights movement cause he knew he could never live up to the great expectations. And whatever people speculate about his sexual preferences, I really don't wanna know. From nobody. It is a private issue.
He would undoubtedly dissapoint them when he did and he undoubtedly disappointed them cause he didn't.
Cheers KS

It's true. It is a private matter. And the issue for a lot of people is that once you make a declaration, it's difficult to put that toothpaste back in the tube once it comes out. So what you say becomes reality, essentially, even if you weren't sure at the time you said it. That kind of stuff can be annoying and messy and enforces other people's expectations of you based on stereotypes even if your understanding of yourself evolves or turns out to be not quite what you were under the impression it was before.

This pressure to "come out" (a hideous concept) is a major short-coming of the gay lobby, to be sure. Many young kids, after all, don't have their sexuality nailed down, certainly not at fifteen or so. It does seem that Morrissey is rejecting, or at least choosing to avoid, this concept for its obvious and many short-comings.

It's worse for a celebrity, of course. I'm sure Morrissey didn't want to feed the press on the matter of his sex life, because beyond the notion of "what you say enforces reality" in terms of one's own sexual orientation, the celebrity has to contend with the additional factor of "what they say enforces reality," which is a factor in everyone's life but a much greater one for celebrities whom the press is determined to expose, define, and quantify.

First, I was quoting Derk17, so must give credit where credit is due. But I'm glad you agree.

'Initially I didn't like the term as it seemed just another label adding one to the many already existing. Why make all those labels? Why the need to distinguish people especially on their sexual preferences.'

Yes, I totally agree with that, and I too wish all labels could be banished, very limiting( may be in the next world?). Then again I take it as self empowering, because if one is going to be labeled, then one may as well label oneself as one sees fit, rather than let the public/strangers do it for you. And doesn't one know themselves better than a public of strangers?

'I think there were pressures to come out of the closet and he didn't want to become a hero for the gay rights movement '

Pressures? I'm sure every celebrity whose sexuality isn't blatantly heterosexual gets pressured. And I don't blame any one person or group who desires that from the people they look up to or want to look up to to support their cause,their life and their dream of happiness... let's face it... in a world like ours ...we need all the support we can get, for different reasons.

'cause he knew he could never live up to the great expectations.' ?

Maybe. I never thought about it that way, but maybe. I really wonder how the older generations of the gay movement/community looked up to Bowie when he announced he was gay in the early 70's then later went back on that and he(Bowie) seemed to regret ever having said it? I wonder if M said..'well, I'm not gonna make that mistake'.

Yeah see, that's the problem with labels: they really enforce a reality that might not be true and might become exaggerated by celebrity status. Bowie is a good example of how that can get convoluted.

Morrissey has become more forthright over the years, but it does seem that he wishes to maintain some separation between his private life and his public image. Some celebrities just become that public image.

Shouldn’t the correct term for what he wants to say be “homo-sapiens-sexual” anyway, seeing since the Huma is a mythical Persian bird? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huma_bird

Unless he is into mythical Persian birds, of course. Which is quite plausible actually, seeing since he prefers animals to humans. :laughing:

Last edited:
My boyfriend is from New Zealand. I'm now officially a kiwisexual.

I find it really offensive and limiting to be labelled gay.

That huma is adorable. Her weiner were a mismatched couple as far as looks

My boyfriend is from New Zealand. I'm now officially a kiwisexual.

I find it really offensive and limiting to be labelled gay.

Ha, that is funny, 12 inch! :D
I like it that you still have a sense of humor and are able to mock yourself.
It means you are capable, despite heated political debates, to have a laugh.
Sometimes I can't follow the heated debate for the long, long, posts going on and on stating the arguments over and over again. You make it, at least for me, a bit easier by throwing in some humor.
Although, of course I know it is important to you.
Cheers!

Did Morrissey let Jake into his Battersea, first hope, but after, despair?

Tags
jake
Back
Top Bottom